Subject: [dhcwg] Extending the set of available DHCP option codes

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:57:06 -0500

At the WG meeting in Minneapolis, the WG accepted two mechanisms for
extending the set of available DHCP option codes from
draft-ietf-dhc-extended-optioncodes-00.txt:

   (1) redesignate option codes 128-223 to be assigned to new options
   (2) recover disused option codes (the "Impress Server" option being
       the canonical example) for reassignment to new options

It turns out we misunderstood the second of these two mechanisms; the
author of draft-ietf-dhc-extended-optioncodes-00.txt (Bernie Volz) was
referring to option codes already under consideration for reclamation in
"Unused Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Option Codes" (RFC 3679),
rather than option codes defined in RFC 2132 that currently see little use.

Therefore, we should not follow up on (2) and will pursue only (1) (which is
now published as draft-ietf-dhc-reclassify-options-00).

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Barr Hibbs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:03:34 -0800

While I agree that the selection of option (1) gives us the greatest
immediate and long-term benefit for DHCPv4, I still believe we should pursue
reclamation of additional option codes per the misunderstanding expressed as
option (2).

--Barr

> "Unused Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Option Codes"
> (RFC 3679), rather than option codes defined in RFC 2132 that currently
> see little use.
>
> Therefore, we should not follow up on (2) and will pursue only (1)
> (which is now published as draft-ietf-dhc-reclassify-options-00).
>

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:50:00 -0500

Barr:

If you'd like to work on this, please feel free to initiate that effort (in
conjunction with RFC2131bis there should be a RFC2132bis?).

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barr
Hibbs
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 1:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Extending the set of available DHCP option codes

--Barr