Subject: [dhcwg] comments on draft-yan-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnszone-02.txt

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:04:46 +0900

Hello,

I've read the draft, but I simply cannot be sure whether I can support
this document as a wg item.

My first question is whether it's typical for the "subscriber" to use
the ISP's (sub) domain (suffix) for its internal host names.  This
would make it hard to change providers (they'd rename host names as
well as renumber addresses), so don't they rather want to use an
independent domain space?  Perhaps I'm just unfamiliar with this area,
so this is not an objection to the proposal; rather it's just a
question.

Also, I cannot be sure how an end host using stateless address
autoconfiguration can update its host name using this mechanism (e.g.,
how can the node know the appropriate "suffix"?).  I hope this draft
will provide a bit more details on this.

I also understand most of Section 2.1:

   In stateful DHCPv6, the zone suffix option MUST only appear in 
   IA_PD-options field of IA_PD option (see [3]) and apply to all 
   prefixes for that binding.  One IA_PD-options field MUST include none
   or only one zone suffix option.

What does "stateful DHCPv6" mean in this context?  Does this specify
address allocation (at end nodes) by DHCPv6?  Or does this mean prefix
delegation?

Similarly,

   In stateless DHCPv6, the zone suffix option can appear in the 
   client's message options field in the transaction.

I'm not sure what "stateless DHCPv6" specifies here.  I also don't
understand what are "the client's message options".

Here are miscellaneous editorial comments I happen to notice:

- In abstract

   This document specifies a new DHCPv6 (DHCP for IPv6) option which is 
   passed from an DHCPv6 server to an DHCPv6 client to specify the 
   zone suffix name used to construct and perform domain name update.

   => s/an DHCPv6/a DHCPv6/

- I cannot parse the second paragraph of Section 3.0:

   The zone suffix name can then be used to construct can update domain
   name for the hosts in subscriber network, by an embedded DHCPv6
   server in CPE or by other means of DNS update mechanism for stateless
   IPv6 configuration.

 I suspect there's a grammatical error here.

- In the last paragraph of Section 3.0,

   [...]
   in which an unique zone suffix name prefix, called "home name", are
   negotiated between user and ISP when subscribing. For example, 
   "user1.example.com" and "user2.example.com". 

  => s/are negotiated/is negotiated/
  => s/an unique/a unique/

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg