Subject: [dhcwg] Re: [Ipoverib] IP over IB DHCP draft last call

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:36:33 -0500

FWIW, and speaking as a regular WG member now, and having gone
reviewed both draft-ietf-dhc-3315id-for-v4-04.txt and
draft-ietf-ipoib-dhcp-over-infiniband-09.txt, and having gone and
reviewed some previous the threads on this topic...

The current document says:

    According to [RFC2132] the "client-identifier" option may consist of
    any data that uniquely identifies the interface. Examples of
    suitable "client-identifier" values are the link-layer address,
    fully qualified domain name (FQDN) or, an EUI-64 value associated
    with the interface.

In other words, any valid client-identifier can be used.

I see no reason why the IB document needs to do anything different
than just follow the recommendation in the 3315id. If there is any
reason why some other variant should be allowed, I'd like to hear
it. Leaving it up to the implementor to decide just creates confusion
and unecessary variation that serves little purpose (at least as far
as I can tell). Morever, the motivations for using a 3315id-style
client-identifier are compelling. So, unless there is a good reason
why IB can't use 3315-id, I'd suggest replacing the above paragraph
with something like:

   When using DHCP over an Infiniband interface, a client-identifier
   as described in [draft-ietf-dhc-3315id-for-v4-04.txt] MUST be used.

Thomas

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Vivek Kashyap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:19:28 -0800 (PST)

Thomas,

By now 3315id has been submitted to IESG by dhc wg - that removes the concern 
about referencing a draft that was still in the wg. Therefore I've no issues 
with referencing 3315id. 

If there are no other objections or issues from the ipoib/dhc wgs,  I'll 
udpate the draft and resubmit.

Vivek

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Thomas Narten wrote:

> IPoverIB mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib
> 
>

---

From: Vivek Kashyap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:44:02 -0800 (PST)

Since I've not heard any comments on the attached subject I'm resubmitting the
draft as per the suggested text.

Vivek