Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhc WG last call on<draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-08.txt>

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 12:37:54 -0400

Ralph:

I can certainly revise the abstract but I think we also need to be
careful to limit this to DHCP clients/servers as the DHCID RR is only
for DHCP? How about:

   DHCP provides a mechanism for host configuration that includes
   dynamic assignment of IP addresses.  To maintain accurate name
   to IP address and IP address to name mappings in the DNS, these
   dynamically assigned addresses require updates to the DNS.
   Conflicts may arise in the DNS names assigned to clients. This
   document describes technqiues for the resolution of DNS name
   conflicts arising from updates to the DNS by DHCP servers and/or
   DHCP clients to reflect dynamic IP address assignment.

Another possibility would be to take some of the text from the
Introduction (such as the second half o the first paragraph) and rework
this into an Abstract. This would also connect this document more
closely with the FQDN option and DHCID RR in the Abstract which is
likely a good thing?

   DHCP provides a mechanism for host configuration that includes
   dynamic assignment of IP addresses and fully qualified domain
   names. To maintain accurate name to IP address and IP address to
   name mappings in the DNS, these dynamically assigned addresses
   and fully qualified domain names require updates to the DNS.
   This document identifies situations in which conflicts
   in the use of fully qualified domain names may arise among DHCP
   clients, and describes a strategy for the use of the DHCID DNS
   resource record in resolving those conflicts.

- Bernie

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Ralph Droms (rdroms)
> Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 12:18 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [dhcwg] dhc WG last call 
> on<draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-08.txt>
> 
> (Correction to suggested abstract)
> 
> The Abstract is not clear and does not accurately reflect the intent
> and the contents of the doc.  I suggest:
> 
>    Abstract
> 
>    DHCP provides a mechanism for host configuration that includes
>    dynamic assignment of IP addresses.  To maintain accurate 
> name to IP
>    address and IP address to name mappings in the DNS, these
>    dynamically assigned addresses require updates to the DNS.
>    Conflicts may arise between updates to the DNS from different
>    sources. This document describes techniques for the resolution of
>    DNS name conflicts arising from updates to the DNS to reflect
>    dynamic IP address assignment.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
> 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:00:16 -0400

Bernie - I like your second draft Abstract...

- Ralph