Subject: [dhcwg] Re: Issue 36 (Problem Statement)

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:23:38 -0700 (PDT)

Stuart Cheshire said:

"However, it turns out (I think) that this is not true. Any candidate 
configuration eligible for DNAv4 is also eligible for DHCP INIT-REBOOT, 
and INIT-REBOOT does *not* require that the client perform address 
conflict detection."

[BA] This is accurate. 

Stuart Cheshire said:

"Thus, all that DNAv4 is accelerating is the DHCP 
INIT-REBOOT REQUEST/ACK cycle."

[BA] DNAv4 can still reduce delays due to conflict detection in
situations where the INIT-REBOOT REQUEST/ACK cycle cannot be used.

For example, if a host has moved between networks, a DHCPREQUEST 
will be answered with a DHCP NAK, in which case a DHCPDISCOVER will 
be sent.  Typically implementations will not use the address on the 
new network until conflict detection is completed, because technically 
it is a *new* configuration, not reuse of an existing (valid) 
configuration. 

With DNAv4, if the new network has been previously vsitied and still
has a valid lease, then the configuration will be confirmed without
the additional NAK/DHCPDISCOVER cycle or the need for conflict detection.
So in this case, the optimization is more substantial.  

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg