Subject: [dhcwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Lease Query
	Author(s)	: R. Woundy, K. Kinnear
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-09.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 2005-10-26
	
A DHCPv4 server is the authoritative source of IP addresses that it
   has provided to DHCPv4 clients.  Other processes and devices that
   already make use of DHCPv4 may need to access this information.  The
   leasequery protocol provides these processes and devices a
   lightweight way to access IP address information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-09.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-09.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Kim Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:57:31 -0400

Folks,

While working to get the leasequery draft through the final
stages of AD review, we have issued a new version.  I thought the
following list might be helpful to people looking at the draft.

-- Kim

--------------------------------------

The following changes were made to the leasequery draft when
producing draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-09.txt.

1.  Changed the abstract to one suggested by Russ Housely.

2.  Changed the security section to say that RFC 3118 SHOULD be
used as suggested by Russ Housely.  Discussed the mapping of
DHCPLEASEQUERY operations into the normal sequence of
DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPOFFER, DHCPREQUEST, DHCPACK messages described
in RFC 3118.

3.  Removed the DHCPUNIMPLEMENTED message on the recommendation
of Andre Kostur, given that there are now no optional parts of
the DHCPLEASEQUERY protocol.  It was already acceptable to just
ignore DHCPLEASEQUERY messages if you didn't implement them, now
that is the only option.

4.  Based on Ted Hardie's comments, changed the "sensitive option
list" to the "non-sensitive option list", so that unless
specified, an option is considered sensitive and should not be
returned.

5.  Added considerable text at the urging of Bert Wijnen about
why this is DHCPv4 and not a universal DHCPv4 and DHCPv6
capability supporting both protocols.

6.  Added considerable text also at the urging of Bert Wijnen
explaining why an SNMP MIB is not a substitute for
DHCPLEASEQUERY.  Included text supplied by R. Barr Hibbs (one of
authors of the DHCP MIB) to give the explanation more solidity.

---------------------------------------------