Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhc WG recharter

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:18:24 -0400

It also would be nice to complete the RFC 3942 work (ie,
draft-volz-dhc-3942-status-00.txt). Not sure if this is specially needed
in the charter.

And, there's also the debated topic related to Tim Chown's "Handling
'Rogue' RAs" presentation in Chicago and the "prefix-length" option.
But, as there are no drafts yet, perhaps a bit premature?

But, otherwise the recharter looks fine.

- Bernie 

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) 
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] dhc WG recharter

Revision of dhc WG charter based on input received to date; changes  
identified by change bars.

- Ralph

=====

   The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
   allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
   protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a "Draft Standard" and
   is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132.  DHCPv6 is currently a
   "Proposed Standard" and is documented in RFC 3315.  Subsequent RFCs
   document additional options and other enhancements to the
   specifications.

   The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing DHCP options or other
   extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG is expected to review
   all proposed extensions to DHCP to ensure that they are consistent
   with the DHCP specification and other option formats, that they do  
not
   duplicate existing mechanisms, etc.  Generally speaking, the DHC WG
   will not be responsible for evaluating the semantic content of
   proposed options. Similarly, the ownership of specifications  
typically
   belongs the relevant working group that needs more functionality from
   DHCP, not the DHC WG. The DHC WG coordinates reviews of the proposed
   options together with those working groups. It is required that those
   working groups have consensus to take on the work and that the  
work is
   within their charter. Exceptionally, with AD agreement, this same
   process can also be used for Individual Submissions originating
   outside WGs.

   However, the DHC WG can in some cases develop its own options that
   relate to either maintenance of existing specifications or
   improvements in the operation of the DHCP infrastructure itself.

   The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

   * Develop extensions to the DHCP infrastructure as required to meet
     new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently
     in development are:

       - Subnet allocation mechanisms
       - Virtual subnet identification option
       - Option for passing DNS domain information in DHCPv6
       - DHCP relay agent assignment notification in DHCPv6
       - Option for DHCPv6 server reply sequence numbers
       - Rebinding capability for DHCPv6 Reconfigure messages
|     - Behavior of layer 2 relay agents

     The adoption of new items requires explicit agreement from
     the AD or rechartering.

   * Write analyses of the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications,
     including RFC 2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and other RFCs defining
     additional options, which identifies ambiguities, contradictory
     specifications and other obstacles to development of interoperable
     implementations. Recommend a process for resolving identified
     problems and incorporating the resolutions into the DHCP
     specification.

     Secondly, advance DHCPv4 (RFC 2131 and RFC 2132) and DHCPv6 (RFC
     3315) in IETF Standards Track.

     Thirdly, specify guidelines for creating new DHCP options.

   * Assess the requirements for a dual-stack host to use DHCP to obtain
     configuration settings for both IPv4 and IPv6.  Hosts that include
     implementations of both IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual-stack hosts") may use
     DHCP to obtain configuration settings (including assigned  
addresses)
     for both IPv4 and IPv6.  The DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications (RFC
     2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs) do not explicitly
     explain how a dual-stack host uses DHCP to obtain configuration
     settings for both IP stacks.  The DHC WG will evaluate solutions  
for
     configuration of dual-stack hosts through DHCP and select a  
solution
     that will be developed and published by the WG.

   Milestones:

   Done   WG last call for "Subnet Allocation Option"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04>
   Done   WG last call on "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
          <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option>
   Oct 07 Submit "Subnet Allocation Option"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04> to IESG
          for Proposed Standard
   Nov 07 WG last call on "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines>
   Nov 07 Submit "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
          <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option> and <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id>
          to IESG for Proposed Standard
   Dec 07 WG last call for "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain>
   Jan 08 Submit "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain> to IESG
          for Proposed Standard
   Jan 08 Submit "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines> to IESG for Best Current
          Practice
   Jan 08 Develop plan for advancing DHCPv4 and DHCPv6; plan to include
          completion of DHCPv4 specification review report,
          "Implementation Issues with RFC 2131"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-02> for Informational
   Feb 08 WG last call for "Dual-stack clients and merging of data from
          DHCPv4 and DHCPv6" <draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt>;
          waiting for more experience with IPv6 deployment
   Feb 08 WG last call for "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure
          Messages" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00>
| Mar 08 WG last call for "Layer 2 relay agent"
|        <draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00>
   Apr 08 2nd WG last call for "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification
          Option" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and
          "DHCPv6 Server Reply Sequence Number Option"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00>
   May 08 Submit "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00> to IESG for
          Proposed Standard
| May 08 Submit "Layer 2 relay agent"
|        <draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00> to IESG for  
Informational
   Jul 08 Submit "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and "DHCPv6  
Server
          Reply Sequence Number Option"
          <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00> to IESG for
          Proposed Standard
| Jul 08 Recharter

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg