Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Stateful Prefix Length

From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 03:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

Do anyone know how to set this Prefix length in RA on Linux or WIndows  or in CISCO Router ?Sorry, May be this is not right forum but still I couldn't stop me asking this question here, b'coz I don't know where to ask this.
 
Yours ever
-RamaSubbu SK 

----- Original Message ----
From: Bernie Volz (volz) <[email-masked]>
To: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 6:26:32 PM
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Stateful Prefix Length

A host should use information from the Router Advertisements (in
particular, from the Prefix Information Options in the RA).

If there is no information in the RA about a prefix that contains the
address, then /128 should be assumed.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 1:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Stateful Prefix Length

Hi all,
  I don't whether this question has been asked early or not.

    Can the DHCPv6 Stateful server send Prefix length of the IPv6
Address that is being sent to client ? Is there any RFC that talks about
?

  If the DHCPv6 Stateful server doesn't send the prefix length what the
prefix value that dhcpv6 stateful client should assume ?

Yours ever
-RamaSubbu SK

________________________________________________________________________
____________
Shape Yahoo! in your own image.  Join our Network Research Panel today!
http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

      ____________________________________________________________________________________
Luggage? GPS? Comic books? 
Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 08:55:37 -0400

On Windows, I have no idea what IPv6 routing capabilities it has, but I
would guess that if it is possible, it would be via the "netsh" command.

On Linux, if you use radvd (routing deamon), I think you can configure
it to advertise what you like.

On IOS, look at the "ipv6 nd prefix-advertisement" command
documentation:

To configure which IPv6 prefixes are included in IPv6 router
advertisements, use the ipv6 nd prefix-advertisement command in
interface configuration mode. To remove the prefixes, use the no form of
this command.

ipv6 nd prefix-advertisement ipv6-prefix/prefix-length valid-lifetime
preferred-lifetime [onlink] [autoconfig]

no ipv6 nd prefix-advertisement ipv6-prefix/prefix-length

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 6:59 AM
To: Bernie Volz (volz); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Stateful Prefix Length

Do anyone know how to set this Prefix length in RA on Linux or WIndows
or in CISCO Router ?Sorry, May be this is not right forum but still I
couldn't stop me asking this question here, b'coz I don't know where to
ask this.
 
Yours ever
-RamaSubbu SK 

----- Original Message ----
From: Bernie Volz (volz) <[email-masked]>
To: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked]

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 1:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Stateful Prefix Length

Hi all,

Yours ever
-RamaSubbu SK

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:32:39 +0200

> would guess that if it is possible, it would be via the "netsh" command.

Ah, wonderful.  It's:
netsh interface ipv6
set interface "yourinterface" advertise=on

And then read the doc at
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/f953fa20-f037-4609-89eb-0178240f103b1033.mspx?mfr=true

> it to advertise what you like.

In /etc/radvd.conf or /usr/local/etc/radvd.conf  it's the only RA 
configuration file.

Alex

> prefix value that dhcpv6 stateful client should assume ?

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________