Subject: [dhcwg] Discussion of dhc WG rechartering for DHCP authentication

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:13:07 -0400

Second try - still soliciting expert DHCP input (as well as any other  
input you might care to provide) from dhc WG members...

There is a lengthy discussion about rechartering the dhc WG to take  
on the DHCP authentication proposals in draft-pruss-dhcp-auth- 
dsl-01.txt and draft-zhao-dhc-user-authentication-02 in the int- 
[email-masked] mailing list.  Both of these drafts have been submitted  
for to the WG for review in the past, and neither, to date, has been  
accepted as a dhc WG work iterm.  I've included a copy of the initial  
posting, http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/int-area/current/ 
msg00957.html, below.  Because this discussion may lead to the  
rechartering of the dhc WG to take on either or both of these drafts  
as new work items, those of you not on the int-area mailing list  
should consider reviewing the e-mail thread and contributing to the  
discussion.

- Ralph

=====
To: Internet Area <int-area at ietf.org>
Subject: [Int-area] DCHP-based authentication for DSL?
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:22:15 +0300

We talked about the DSL requirements earlier on this list. Now
they have sent us a liaison statement regarding what they would
like to do:

"At this time, we would like to make the IETF aware that during
our most recent DSL Forum quarterly meeting, the Architecture
and Transport Working Group agreed to seriously consider adopting
a mechanism such as that proposed in draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-01.txt
or draft-zhao-dhc-user-authentication-02. We understand that the authors
of these specifications intend to produce a combined document soon.
The DSL Forum formally requests that the IETF adopt this as a work
item, and would appreciate being advised of progress as soon as  
possible.

Our next quarterly meeting is December 10-13, in Lisbon, Portugal."

How do we feel about this? Is this a good idea, considering the DSL
architecture? How will it affect DHCP the protocol? How would
you go about making DHCP extensions so that they work best
for all possible environments and not just DSL? Is anyone
already working on the combined draft promised above? Are
there any other choices that we should recommend instead?

I would like to hold the discussion on this in this list until
we've determined that the DHCP protocol is the right tool
for the job. If it is, we can recharter DHC WG again to add
the actual development work there. (DHC is right now
being rechartered but that recharting is mostly a cleanup
and not the addition of functionality to do this.)

Jari

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg