Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 remote boot options

From: Jens Freimann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:01:15 +0000

Hello,

RFC 3736 [0] doesn't say anyting about TFTP server and filename options. Is
there really no way to do this with DHCPv6?

I found and old IETF draft "DHCPv6 Support for Remote Boot -
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-rboot-00.txt" [1] but it expired in 2004.

If there is no such option yet, how could one tell clients about tftp
server and bootfile name? 

I am new to DHCP and especially DHCPv6. It would be nice if somebody could 
give me a hint.

With kind regards

Jens

[0] http://www3.tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3736
[1] http://www3.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-rboot-00

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:51:17 -0500

Jens:

We figured that when someone had the need for using TFTP for booting via
DHCPv6 that they would develop an Internet-Draft which then could be
reviewed by the DHC WG and hopefully become an RFC. Without having a
specific use case and someone actually interested in making use of the
options, we figured it was not worth spending the time and effort to
define them (and perhaps define them in a what that doesn't actually
benefit people that do want to do this). Reviving the expired draft
might be a good start.

You also can define your own options (inside a vendor option, see
section 22.17. Vendor-specific Information Option of RFC 3315) if you
have a specific need that isn't general or can't wait until the IETF
process can take is course to define the option(s).

For example, the CableLabs DOCSIS 3.0 specifications use a
vendor-specific information option to provide TFTP related parameters
for their needs - which is to provide a configuration file, not a
bootfile.

- Bernie 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Freimann [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 3:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 remote boot options

Hello,

RFC 3736 [0] doesn't say anyting about TFTP server and filename options.
Is
there really no way to do this with DHCPv6?

I am new to DHCP and especially DHCPv6. It would be nice if somebody
could 
give me a hint.

With kind regards

Jens

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:42:59 +0200

I am pleased to announce that John Brzozowski has
agreed to take on a co-chair position in the DHC WG.
He will work with Ralph Droms, who remains as the other
co-chair. Stig Venaas is stepping down, as was announced
in IETF-70.

Thank you John for taking on this task -- the group
will be in good hands! And thanks again Stig
for your work with the group over the years, it
has been very much appreciated. Thanks.

Jari

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:34:27 -0500

John - I'm looking forward to working with you as co-chair; your  
experience with DHCP, operator's viewpoint, enthusiasm and energy will  
be an asset to the WG.

Stig - It's been a pleasure working with you as co-chair.  On behalf  
of the entire WG, thanks for your hard work and leadership, and we  
look forward to your continuing contributions in the future.

WG members - John is officially and logistically our new co-chair.  He  
and I are working together on the agenda and other details for our  
upcoming meeting at IETF-71.  Stig, Johna and I will work out the  
details of the leadership transition in the next week or two.

- Ralph