Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 client(proxy) sending unicast packets to server in all dhcp packets.

From: sudurais a <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 08:01:03 -0700

Hi Ted,

Thanks. I meant, Solicit packet.

Why such a restriction imposed ?.

Regards,
sudurais,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 7:29 PM, sudurais a wrote:
>
> If DHCPv6 client does unicast DISCOVER packet to server and uses unicast
> for all of its communication with server, will it be a problem in server
> side ?. Is server mandates client should be sending packets with bcast/mcast
> address as destination address in DHCP discover or request packets ?.
>
>
> The server is expected to ignore any such packets.   I presume that you
> mean "Solicit," not "DISCOVER," since there is no "DISCOVER" packet in
> DHCPv6.
>
>

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 10:23:49 +0200

Sudurais,

> Why such a restriction imposed ?. 

the proposed 'solution' to that problem is to use a local relay (same node as the client).
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-guo-softwire-6rd-ipv6-config-02

cheers,
Ole

>> If DHCPv6 client does unicast DISCOVER packet to server and uses unicast for all of its communication with server, will it be a problem in server side ?. Is server mandates client should be sending packets with bcast/mcast address as destination address in DHCP discover or request packets ?.
> 
> The server is expected to ignore any such packets.   I presume that you mean "Solicit," not "DISCOVER," since there is no "DISCOVER" packet in DHCPv6.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 21:52:53 -0500

Section 15 of RFC 3315 is pretty clear on this:

15. Message Validation

...

   A server MUST discard any Solicit, Confirm, Rebind or

   Information-request messages it receives with a unicast destination

   address.

There is other text that makes it clear that for other messages
multicast is also the correct choice EXCEPT when the server has told the
client that it may unicast (via the Server Unicast option).

The main reason for this is that we really want all client to server
communication to always use the same path - which means to use the Relay
Agent (and hence Relay-Forw) when the client and server are not on the
same physical "wire".

If DHCPv4, not requiring this caused some problems since Option 82
(Relay Agent) information was then not always available except if tricks
were played.

-          Bernie

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of sudurais a
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 11:01 AM
To: Ted Lemon
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 client(proxy) sending unicast packets to
server in all dhcp packets.

Hi Ted, 

Regards,
sudurais,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
wrote:

	If DHCPv6 client does unicast DISCOVER packet to server and uses
unicast for all of its communication with server, will it be a problem
in server side ?. Is server mandates client should be sending packets
with bcast/mcast address as destination address in DHCP discover or
request packets ?.