Subject: [dhcwg] (no subject)

From: "A. Gregory Rabil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:11:11 -0400

Hello DHC WG,
I am looking for clarification around the IAID.  Some of this stems from
the several discussions recently regarding the DUID and the lack of a MAC
address in DHCPv6.

Ted (don't mean to call you out here, but it is prevalent to my question)
wrote this on the ISC DHCP list:

>DUID+IAID uniquely identifies the interface; DUID uniquely identifies the
host.

My question is can this be guaranteed?  From RFC 3315:

      Identity association (IA) A collection of addresses assigned to
                                a client.  Each IA has an associated
                                IAID.  A client may have more than one
                                IA assigned to it; for example, one for
                                each of its interfaces.

It states "for example, one for each of its interfaces".  So, I don't see
this as a MUST, or am I missing something?

If the IAID is intended to identify the interface, then I wonder why that
is not just the MAC address.  If that were the case, then every request
would contain the DUID identifying the device, and the IAID to identify the
actual interface in which the request was made.  I guess my concern is that
if we start putting the MAC address in the DHCPv6 packet (which I am in
favor of), then we should be sure to specify how it does or does not relate
to the IAID.

Regards,

Greg Rabil

---

From: Andre Kostur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:32:36 -0700

Theoretically a device may have different "contexts" on the same interface.
 So there may be multiple IAIDs on the same interface.  The IAID is not
intended to specifically identify an interface.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:11, A. Gregory Rabil <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
>
>

-- 
 *Andre Kostur *

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:37:18 -0400

Two interfaces MUST use different IAIDs, but two IAIDs need not be on different interfaces.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:32 AM, "Andre Kostur" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Theoretically a device may have different "contexts" on the same interface.  So there may be multiple IAIDs on the same interface.  The IAID is not intended to specifically identify an interface.
> 
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:11, A. Gregory Rabil <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hello DHC WG,
> I am looking for clarification around the IAID.  Some of this stems from the several discussions recently regarding the DUID and the lack of a MAC address in DHCPv6.
> 
> Ted (don't mean to call you out here, but it is prevalent to my question) wrote this on the ISC DHCP list:
> >DUID+IAID uniquely identifies the interface; DUID uniquely identifies the host.
> 
> It states "for example, one for each of its interfaces".  So, I don't see this as a MUST, or am I missing something?
> If the IAID is intended to identify the interface, then I wonder why that is not just the MAC address.  If that were the case, then every request would contain the DUID identifying the device, and the IAID to identify the actual interface in which the request was made.  I guess my concern is that if we start putting the MAC address in the DHCPv6 packet (which I am in favor of), then we should be sure to specify how it does or does not relate to the IAID.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Greg Rabil
> 
> 
> 
> Andre Kostur