Subject: [dhcwg] about draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-over-ipv6-00.txt

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:54:11 +0100

I have some comments about draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-over-ipv6-00.txt:
 - first, these are from implementation feedback

 - but this doesn't mean I have good ideas about real world use cases (:-)

 - it is not clear in the introduction but this can work only
  for DHCPv4 messages, not legacy BOOTP messages (in the case
  BOOTP itself is still used?)

 - the document requires the CRA to be colocated with the client,
  in fact it works well when the client is directly attached, i.e.,
  "on the same link" is enough

 - the CRA MUST NOT include an option 82 (RAI): this really limits
  the CRA service, for instance a CRA can't serve more than one link
  (but it is already limited to colocated and with multiple IPv6 source
   addresses it is easy to run several CRAs on the same box)

 - the choice of the ports should be explained, in particular I'd like
  to understand "A CRA also listens for DHCP packets on IPv6 UDP port 68."
  (note I have no concern about the choice itself).

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: I implemented CRA, TRA, TSV and TSV+normal (i.e., the "A TSV can
also listen on IPv4 UDP port 67 like a normal DHCPv4 server"). And
BTW wireshark is fine enough to ignore the IP version when it dissects
UDP port 67/68 packets as DHCPv4.