Subject: [dhcwg] DHC WG DHCP Directorate - Thu 9:00-11:30

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:25:09 +0000

At Thursday's DHC WG meeting please be prepared to discuss the DHCP Directorate. The proposed text is below:

DHCP Directorate

The DHCP Directorate is an advisory group of DHCP experts selected by the
Internet Area Directors.

The notion of a directorate is defined in RFC 2418 as follows:

  In many areas, the Area Directors have formed an advisory group or
  directorate. These comprise experienced members of the IETF and the
  technical community represented by the area. The specific name and the
  details of the role for each group differ from area to area, but the
  primary intent is that these groups assist the Area Director(s), e.g.,
  with the review of specifications produced in the area.

What Does the Directorate Do?

The main purpose of the DHCP Directorate is to review all documents
submitted to the IESG for publication that define new DHCP (DHCPv6 or
DHCPv4) options, DHCP messages, or DHCP client, relay agent or server
processing. Generally speaking, documents advanced by the DHC WG will
have already received review from members of the DHCP Directorate and
thus may not require such review.

While the DHC WG is active, the DHCP Directorate is responsible for
reviewing DHCP options or other extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The
Directorate is expected to review all proposed extensions to DHCP to
ensure that they are consistent with the DHCP specification and other
option formats, that they do not duplicate existing mechanisms, etc.
Generally speaking, the Directorate will not be responsible for evaluating
the semantic content of proposed options.

The tasks performed by the Directorate are:

1. Review all documents submitted to the IESG for publication that have
   DHCP options, messages, or processing requirements. A review is
   triggered:

   - By request for early review (by any AD or by any WG chair)
   - By a document moving to 'publication requested' state
   - By entry on the IESG agenda (for other documents)

2. Assist ADs with judgment issues when requested - The ADs may send email
   to the directorate list when they have issues that they want help with.
   Examples for judgment issues are:

   - New option formats.
   - New client, relay, server agent processing.

3. Try to follow IETF documents related to DHCP as early as possible and
   provide guidance to authors as early as possible.

How is Document Review Organized?

1. The DHCP Directorate Coordinator assigns each document that is
   triggered for review to at least two (2) reviewers and issues a Review
   Request. Authors and contributors to a document must not be assigned.
   The Review Request will include the document and review deadline.
2. The assigned reviewers must acknowledge and agree to review the
   document within 72 hours and respond with a "can review by deadline" or
   "can't review". No reply is interpreted as "can't review".
3. If the Coordinator does not receive "can review by deadline" within 72
   hours, the Coordinator selects at least one or two additional reviewers.
   This process is repeated until at least two reviewers are found.
4. The reviewers provide comments as appropriate (IETF Last Call, Area
   Director, document authors).
5. The Coordinator may decide to call upon additional reviewers if
   expected review is overdue or the topic under review is a complex one.

How is the Directorate Formed?

1.  Directorate members are assigned to the Directorate by the Internet
    Area Directors.
2.  There is an expectation that Directorate membership will not be
    limited to 'old-time DHCP gods from years past'. It is assumed that
    the Directorate will include younger and newer participants who are
    interested in 'learning while doing work'.
3.  Each assignment is for a three year term, unless the member or Internet
    Area Director requests a shorter term.
4.  The terms are staggered so that approximately 1/3 of the directorate
    members have their term end each year.
5.  When the Directorate is first established members of the Directorate
    will be assigned either one year, two years, or three years in their
    first term.
6.  When a member's term expires, the Internet ADs may replace the person
    whose term expires, may reappoint the same person, or may reduce the
    size of the Directorate. There is no expectation that the same person
    will either want to be returned, or will be returned.
7.  The three year term serves as the limit of the commitment of a
    Directorate member, but also serves as a way to return Directorate
    members to the community.
8.  In deciding whether to reappoint a member whose term has expired, the
    Internet ADs may consider the quantity of work that they have done,
    the ADs' impression of the quality of the work, and the comments from
    the authors and other Directorate members regarding the reviews.
9.  If a member resigns before the member's term expires, the Internet
    Area Directors may appoint a replacement.
10. The Internet Area Directors may remove a member before the member's
    term expires, and may appoint a replacement.
11. Internet ADs can assign additional members to the Directorate whenever
    they want to, subject to willingness of people to serve.
12. Both ADs need to agree in order to assign a member to the Directorate.
13. Both ADs select one of the Directorate members as the DHCP Directorate
    Coordinator on a yearly basis.

END