Subject: [dhcwg] DHC WG Recharter - Thu 9:00-11:30

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:22:18 +0000

At Thursday's DHC WG session, please be prepared to discuss the re-charter. The text is below.

Proposed DHC WG Charter:

  The Dynamic Host Configuration working group (DHC WG) has developed
  DHCP for automated allocation, configuration and management of IP
  addresses and TCP/IP protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently
  a Draft Standard and is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. DHCPv6
  is currently a Proposed Standard and is documented in RFC 3315.
  Subsequent RFCs document additional options and other enhancements to
  the specifications.

  The DHC WG is responsible for defining DHCP protocol extensions.
  Definitions of new DHCP options that are delivered using standard
  mechanisms with documented semantics are not considered a protocol
  extension and thus are outside of scope for DHC WG. Such options should
  be defined within their respective WGs and reviewed by the DHCP
  Directorate. However, if such options require protocol extensions or new
  semantics, the protocol extension work must be done in the DHC WG.

  The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

  * Develop extensions to the DHCPv6 infrastructure as required to meet
  new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently
  in development are:

  - DHCPv6 Failover, High Availability and Load Balancing
  - DNS Update strategies for delegated prefixes (draft-ietf-dhc-dns-pd)
  - Extend DHCPv6 to work with multiple provisioning domains
  - DHCP provisioning of IPv4 clients over IPv6 networks
  - SOLMAXRT counter update
  - Container option
  - Access Network Identifier (draft-ietf-dhc-access-network-identifier)
  - New NTP option to replace OPTION_NTP_SERVER (RFC 5908)
  - Prefix coloring (draft-bhandari-dhc-class-based-prefix)

    Additional topics may only be added with approval from the responsible
    Area Director or by re-chartering.

  * Specify guidelines for creating new DHCPv6 options.

  * Develop documents that help explain operational considerations for
    the wider community.

  * Advance DHCPv6 (RFC 3315) along the IETF Standards Track. This will
  include writing analyses, corrections, and clarifications of the DHCPv6
  specifications, including RFC 3315, RFC3633, RFC3736 and other RFCs
  defining additional options, which identifies and resolves ambiguities,
  contradictory specifications and other obstacles to development of
  interoperable implementations.

END