Subject: [dhcwg] "draft-ietf-dhc-topo-conf-01" - Unix and Microsoft DHCP terminology

From: Carsten Strotmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 16:27:52 +0100

Bridging the terminology chasm between "Unix DHCP" and "Microsoft DHCP"

I'm not sure if it is in scope (no pun intended) of this document to
bridge between the different DHCP related terminology used in the
Microsoft Windows networking world and in the Unix/Internet world.

The aim of the document is to document current DHCP deployment
scenarios, and Microsoft DHCP is a large part of the current deployed
DHCP.

Besides the "shared subnet / multinet" example mentioned in my comments
to "draft-ietf-dhc-topo-conf-01", there are some more terms ("scope",
"reservation") used differently in both camps that don't match and are
often a source of confusion.

The BCP document cannot solve the (historic) mess, but it could help by
providing a translation table "Unix/RFC DHCP term" -> "Microsoft DHCP
term". It could help those readers coming from an Microsoft DHCP
oriented world view to understand the document (and DHCP related RFCs in
general).

-- 
Carsten Strotmann
Email: [email-masked]
Blog: strotmann.de