Subject: Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dhc-topo-conf-01.txt

From: Andre Kostur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 13:47:04 -0800

I promised to review the document:

Section 2:

The first definition does not state what it is defining.

The other two definitions should probably be capitalized, and
separated from the definiton by a colon.  ie:

  Provider Edge Router: The provider router closest to the customer.

Figures 1 and 2 have nodes labelled as either "relay" or "router", but
I don't see a clear description as to what distinguishes a "relay"
from a "router".

Section 3, page 6:

"The details of how this works..."

This is confusing as to what "this" refers to.  DHCP in general, or
its bootstrapping function?   If it's the bootstrapping function, then
later on in the same paragraph it tries to acknowledge that a DHCP
client may have a routable IPv4 address.  In the bootstrap case we've
already stated that we've assumes that the client does not have a
routable IPv4 address.

"In either case..."

For this paragraph it is talking about obtaining an IP address, in
which case the client does not have a routable IPv4 address.

"In DHCPv6 protocol..."

First, "In *the* DHCPv6 protocol".

Second, since we are talking about server behaviours, do we need to
acknowledge the existence of the REPLY-REPL message?  A message which
the server is defined to not process?

Section 4, page 8

Figure 3 appears to be captioned as both Figure 2 and Figure 3.

Section 5:

"Relay agent can be run on a host connected to two links."   This
statement seems to suggest that the two links is a requirement
(although it doesn't actually state it as such).  Calling it out that
figure 2 happens to show a relay with 2 links is OK.

Section 6:

"Note that the relaying...."

As the end, it talks about "A response message will be sent...." from
server to relay to client.  I think it would be clearer to illustrate
that the packet travels "...from the server to relay D via router B,
and relay D will send it to the client.."

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>  This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.
>
>         Title           : Customizing DHCP Configuration on the Basis of Network Topology
>         Authors         : Ted Lemon
>                           Tomek Mrugalski
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-dhc-topo-conf-01.txt
>         Pages           : 14
>         Date            : 2014-02-14
>
> Abstract:
>    DHCP servers have evolved over the years to provide significant
>    functionality beyond that which is described in the DHCP base
>    specifications.  One aspect of this functionality is support for
>    context-specific configuration information.  This memo describes some
>    such features and makes recommendations as to how they can be used.
>
>
> The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-topo-conf/
>
> There's also a htmlized version available at:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-topo-conf-01
>
> A diff from the previous version is available at:
> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dhc-topo-conf-01
>
>
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
> until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
>
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

-- 
Andre Kostur
Distinguished Software Architect & Engineer
P: 604-678-2864
E: [email-masked]
Toll-Free: 1-800-877-1856

F: 604-678-2864
VoIP: sip:[email-masked]