Subject: [dhcwg] Fwd: draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 12:48:14 +0100

Hi,

Summarizing feed backs from the DHCP WG here is what we had:
    - 1) Do not use FQDN AND IP6 address in the Payload. Use one of the other.
    - 2) Do not use TSIG payloads,

non DHCP-related comments:
    - 3) Do not limit to server / slave synchronization, enable nsupdates
    - 4) This option may address other type of networks and should not
be limited to homenet.
    - 5) Maybe another one, I have to check with Lorenzo.

For 1) I suggest we keep the FQDN. This makes the mechanism work for
IPv6 and IPv4. The reason we added the IP6 address is to avoid a DNS
resolution. It does not seems an issue.
For 2) I agree, we will remove TSIG payload in the next version.
For 3) I agree most probably we need to extend the "Security" to
consider nsupdate_sig(0), master-slave-synchronization....
For 4) Agree, we need to document these cases to make sure options are
designed to address these cases. [Text on that is welcome]

BR
Daniel

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Subject: draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Hi,

Please find the new version of the draft
draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01. It defines DHCP
Options to configure the Homenet naming architecture.

Feel free to comment!

BR,
Daniel

A new version of I-D, draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Daniel Migault and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options
Revision: 01
Title: DHCP Options for Homenet Naming Architecture
Document date: 2014-02-13
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 18
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01

Abstract:
   The home network naming architecture requires a complex naming
   configuration on the CPE.  This configuration MAY not be handled
   easily by the average end user.  Furthermore, such misconfiguration
   MAY result in making home network unreachable.

   This document proposes a DHCP options that provide the CPE all
   necessary parameters to set up the home network naming architecture.

   First, this DHCP options provide automatic configuration and avoid
   most end users' misconfiguration.  Most average end users may not
   require specific configuration, and their ISP default configuration
   MAY fully address their needs.  In that case, the naming homenet
   architecture configuration will be completely transparent to the end
   users.  Then, saving naming configuration outside the CPE, makes it
   resilient to change of CPE or CPE upgrades.  Such configuration may
   also be configured by the end user, via the customer area of their
   ISP.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

--
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58