Subject: [dhcwg] IPR disclosures for active-leasequery drafts

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 20:14:21 +0200

Recently two drafts defining active-leasequery for both DHCPv4 and
DHCPv6 passed WGLC. Shepherds and chairs noticed that for both there
were IPR disclosures, but that fact was never emphasized during the WGLC.

I just thought that it would be useful to mention that there are IPR
disclosures for both draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery-00 and
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery-01. That fact is clearly visible
in datatracker (http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dhc/) or using IPR search
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/search/).

Please note that Cisco acted very responsibly here by submitting the IPR
disclosures promptly, mere days after individual draft submissions.
Normally, IPR submissions are sent to the mailing lists, but those
particular IPRs were sent when the drafts were still individual work,
hence no WG posts.

The IPRs are:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1278/ (for DHCPv4 active leasequery)
http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2210/ (for DHCPv6 active leasequery)

I'm not a lawyer, but my layman interpretation is that both IPRs are
very benign. In my understanding Cisco allows to do whatever you want
with the standard (implement, use, sell, export) and they will not sue
you, but they reserve their right to use that patent for defence if you
sue them.

I just though it would be useful to mention that on WG for full
transparency.

Tomek (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery shepherd)