Subject: [dhcwg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01.txt

From: tianxiang li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 23:00:19 +0800

Hi all,

We’ve updated a new version of the prefix-length hint issues draft with
normative text added to the solution sections of the document. Even though
the delegating routers might ignore the prefix-length hint depending on its
policy, we could state something along the lines like: "if the delegating
router is configured to honor the prefix-length hint...then…" etc.

Section 3.1 and 3.2(Previously 2.1 and 2.2) clarifies how the requesting
router should use the prefix-length hint to express its preference, and how
the delegating router should handle the hint sent in a Solicit message.
Section 3.3 describes how the client should handle the Advertise messages
not containing a prefix matching the hint. Section 3.4 and 3.5 describes
how the requesting router should hint for prefixes during Renew/Rebind and
how the delegating router should respond. To ensure consistent
requesting/delegating router behavior we think normative text might be
needed in these sections.

We would very much appreciate your comments.

Thank you,
Tianxiang

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 2016-04-28 22:49 GMT+08:00
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01.txt
To: Tianxiang Li <[email-masked]>, Yong Cui <
[email-masked]>, Cong Liu <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tianxiang Li and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue
Revision:       01
Title:          DHCPv6 Prefix Length Hint Issues
Document date:  2016-04-28
Group:          dhc
Pages:          9
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01

Abstract:
   DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation [RFC3633] allows a requesting router to
   include a prefix-length hint value in the IA_PD option to indicate a
   preference for the size of the prefix to be delegated, but is unclear
   about how the requesting router and delegating router should act in
   different situations involving the prefix-length hint.  This document
   provides a summary of the existing problems with the prefix-length
   hint and guidance on what the requesting router and delegating router
   could do in different situations.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat