Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: 'DHCPv6 Failover Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-protocol-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:01:44 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DHCPv6 Failover Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-protocol-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-protocol/

Technical Summary

This document defines a protocol implementation to provide DHCPv6
failover, a mechanism for running two servers with the capability
for either server to take over clients' leases in case of server
failure or network partition.  It meets the requirements for DHCPv6
failover detailed in "DHCPv6 Failover Requirements" (RFC7031).

Working Group Summary

There is a strong consensus behind this document in the working group and in particular from
very active participants of the dhc WG.

Document Quality

This document has had thorough reviews by many interested and
knowledgeable folks, and is based on the DHCPv4 failover design
which had many years of review but never made it to the IESG.
There were no significant points of difficulty or controversy
with the contents of the document.

There is a commercial product (Cisco Prime Network Registrar) that
has implemented a protocol that is very similar to the draft protocol
and it has been deployed in large service provider's networks (as well
as many other deployments).

Personnel

Bernie Volz is the document shepherd. Suresh Krishnan is the
responsible AD.