Subject: [dhcwg] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-05: (with COMMENT)

From: "Kathleen Moriarty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 14:18:28 -0800

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm okay with the reasoning for the security considerations section, but
think it might be good if a general reference for security of DHCP was
listed as well.  Since an older RFC is referenced, any references from
that one might be out-of-date.

---

From: tianxiang li <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 11:36:53 +0800

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for the review, please see inline.

Cheers,
Tianxiang

> prefix-length-hint-issue/

[Tianxiang] Thanks for pointing that out, we could add a sentence
referencing RFC 3315 for security considerations in DHCP. However, as I
understand both RFC 3633 and 3315 would be obsoleted
by draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis once it's approved, should we add reference to
3315bis instead? My current proposal is as follow:

OLD:
This document introduces no new security considerations over those already
discussed in section 15 of RFC3633, as this document provides guidance on
how the clients and servers interact with regard to the prefix-length hint
mechanism introduced in RFC3633.

NEW:
This document provides guidance on how the clients and servers interact
with regard to the DHCPv6 prefix-length hint mechanism. Security
considerations in DHCP are described in section 23 of RFC 3315. Security
considerations regarding DHCPv6 prefix delegation are described in section
15 of RFC 3633.