Subject: [Dime] Acronym MSA in MIP6 docs is unfortunate!!

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:26:49 -0700

Sorry for chiming in so late:

The term "Mobility Security Association" is used heavily in Mobile IPv4
security and AAA interaction documentation: 

MIPv4 base spec 3344
MIPv4 AAA key management 3957, 
Diameter MIPv4, 4004
Draft-nakhjiri-radius-mip4-02

Furthermore, Diameter spec (4004) uses the acronym MSA to refer to these
security association and uses "MSA" in naming a large number of AVPs for
Mobile IPv4 application. We followed the same terminology for defining
RADIUS attributes in the radius-mip4 draft.

It is unfortunate that MIP6 WG has picked MSA as an acronym for "Mobility
service authorizer". As the work on bootstrapping MIP6 in Dime picks up,
there will be more and more confusion as people try to define AVPs to
address the security associations. 

Please replace the acronym for "Mobility service authorizer".

Thanks,

Madjid Nakhjiri

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Gerardo Giaretta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:36:38 +0200

Hi Madjid,

the acronym MSA has been used since the beginning of the Design Team
work in mip6 and it's used in several drafts related to bootstrapping.
I guess it would be really difficult to replace it. Moreover, Alpesh
and I have already acked the PS draft during AUTH48 and therefore it
would be not possible to make any change anyway.

In my view, we can live with this acronym. The meaning of the acronym
can be easily derived from the context of the sentence, imo.

--Gerardo

---

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:55:23 -0700

Hi Gerardo, 

Not sure how long design team in mip6 has been working, but the mip4-AAA
work went on since before I started at IETF!! 

I had AUTH48s that lasted more than 48 days, let alone 48 hours, but if you
passed it within 48 hours, good for you. The warning was just too hard to
resist:)

I just hope you will never need an AVP that describes an "MSA assigned from
a specific MSA", because then you need a lot more imagination naming that
AVP:)

Madjid
-----Original Message-----
From: Gerardo Giaretta [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 8:37 AM
To: Madjid Nakhjiri
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Dime] Acronym MSA in MIP6 docs is unfortunate!!

Hi Madjid,

--Gerardo