Subject: [Dime] Framed-ipv6-prefix data format

From: "Valesh Chandu" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Sep 2006 10:50:20 -0000

Hi all,

I have a small doubt regarding the Framed-ipv6-prefix Avp data field, this AVP is a Radius(RFC-3162) Avp that contains prefix length and the actual prefix in binary format, in Diameter (RFC 4005) it is defined as a Octet String, but not explicitly mentioned about the data filed of the Avp i.e whether the data field contains both the prefix length and ipv6 prefix or only the ipv6 prefix etc.

i think the data field of this Avp in Diameter should contain both the prefix length & actual prefix as in Radius but there is no evidence to confirm this.

So please any one could tell some standard document that is making clear this issue. Just I want this for standard compliance and to avoid interoperability issues.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Chandu

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:51:09 -0700

Hi all,

I have a small doubt regarding the Framed-ipv6-prefix Avp data field,
this AVP is a Radius(RFC-3162) Avp that contains prefix length and the
actual prefix in binary format, in Diameter (RFC 4005) it is defined as
a Octet String, but not explicitly mentioned about the data filed of the
Avp i.e whether the data field contains both the prefix length and ipv6
prefix or only the ipv6 prefix etc.

i think the data field of this Avp in Diameter should contain both the
prefix length & actual prefix as in Radius but there is no evidence to
confirm this. 
In general, I think that in the absence of other evidence Diameter AVPs
& RADIUS attributes that have the same type (in this case, 97) also have
the same data format.  So, yes, the Framed-IPV6-Prefix AVP includes the
prefix length as the first octet of the Data field.  In retrospect, it
probably would have been better to make this a grouped AVP with explicit
rather than implicit structure.  Oh, well... 

So please any one could tell some standard document that is making clear
this issue. Just I want this for standard compliance and to avoid
interoperability issues. 
Though not explicit, RFC 3588 strongly implies that the data format of
AVPs 1-255 is essentially identical to that of RADIUS attributes with
the same type codes; see sections 4.1 & 11.1.1 of 3588.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Chandu 

<http://adworks.rediff.com/cgi-bin/AdWorks/sigclick.cgi/www.rediff.com/s
ignature-home.htm/1507191490@Middle5?PARTNER=3>  
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Valesh Chandu" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Sep 2006 13:16:46 -0000

Hi all,

One more Query regarding this Framed-ipv6-prefix.

My doubt is whether we have to include the Reserved Filed(one byte) also in the Data filed of the Diameter Framed-ipv6-prefix AVP or not?

Here is the Avp Description from RFC(3162):
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type      |    Length     |  Reserved     | Prefix-Length |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                                Prefix
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                                Prefix
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                                Prefix
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                                Prefix                             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

So what fields the data of Framed-ipv6-prefix of Diameter AVP contains?

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
Chandu.