Subject: [Dime] renaming and re-scoping of the Dime MIP6 I-Ds

From: "Chowdhury, Kuntal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:02:07 -0400

Hi all,

We had an offline discussion on the scope of the two Diameter mip6
bootstrapping I-Ds that are being defined at this time. The current
titles and scopes of the documents seem to convey inaccurate information
of the actual intent of each of them. For example, the mip6
bootstrapping solutions as developed in MIP6 WG need the Diameter
components for the following interfaces:

NAS-HAAA: Integrated scenario

HA-HAAA: Integrated and Split scenarios

What we need to do in Dime WG is to define these two components. The
current structures of the drafts introduce unnecessary dependencies
between them by focusing on the individual mip6 bootstrapping scenarios
rather than the actual purpose i.e. defining the Diameter (AAA)
components needed for both the mip6 bootstrapping solutions. Moreover,
the HA - HAAA interface can be defined in such a way that it covers mip6
in general. 

So, the suggestion is to rename and re-scope the documents as follows:

1. Filename = dime-mip6-nas-aaa-interface: Title = The NAS - HAAA
interface for mip6 bootstrapping

2. Filename = dime-mip6-ha-aaa-interface: Title = The HA - HAAA
interface for mip6

Please let us know your comments.

Regards,

Kuntal

"This email message and any attachments are confidential information of Starent Networks, Corp. The information transmitted may not be used to create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email-masked] -- and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing their contents. Thank you."
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:12:58 -0700

sounds like a good idea.

Chowdhury, Kuntal wrote:
> bootstrapping I-Ds that are being defined at this time. The 
> current titles and scopes of the documents seem to convey inaccurate 
> information of the actual intent of each of them. For example, the mip6 

this would be for MIP6 service authorization + MIP6
HA/HoA information, correct?

> HA-HAAA: Integrated and Split scenarios

this would include authentication + authorization,
correct?

Vijay

> the HA – HAAA interface can be defined in such a way that it covers mip6 
> in general.
> 
>  
> 
> "This email message and any attachments are confidential information of 
> Starent Networks, Corp. The information transmitted may not be used to 
> create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp. 
> Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of 
> any action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons 
> or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are 
> not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by 
> replying to this message or by sending an email to 
> [email-masked] -- and destroy all copies of this message 
> and any attachments without reading or disclosing their contents. Thank 
> you."
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Gerardo Giaretta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:19:50 +0200

Hi Kuntal,

the proposal sounds good and I think it is the correct way forward.

I agree that we do not need to differentiate the scenario we are
considering during the specification of AAA-HA interface. Based on
AAA-HA goals draft, I think most (or even all) goals are common to
both scenarios.

--Gerardo

On 9/21/06, Chowdhury, Kuntal <[email-masked]> wrote:
> bootstrapping I-Ds that are being defined at this time. The current titles
> and scopes of the documents seem to convey inaccurate information of the
> actual intent of each of them. For example, the mip6 bootstrapping solutions
> as developed in MIP6 WG need the Diameter components for the following
> interfaces:
>
>
>
> What we need to do in Dime WG is to define these two components. The current
> structures of the drafts introduce unnecessary dependencies between them by
> focusing on the individual mip6 bootstrapping scenarios rather than the
> actual purpose i.e. defining the Diameter (AAA) components needed for both
> the mip6 bootstrapping solutions. Moreover, the HA – HAAA interface can be
> defined in such a way that it covers mip6 in general.
>
>
>
> 1. Filename = dime-mip6-nas-aaa-interface: Title = The NAS - HAAA interface
> for mip6 bootstrapping
>
> 2. Filename = dime-mip6-ha-aaa-interface: Title = The HA - HAAA interface
> for mip6
>
> create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp. Any
> review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
> action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons or
> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by replying to
> this message or by sending an email to [email-masked] -- and
> destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or
> disclosing their contents. Thank you."

---

From: "Gerardo Giaretta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:24:07 +0200

> this would include authentication + authorization,

In general this will define a solution that takes into account all
goals listed in draft-ietf-mip6-aaa-ha-goals (e.g. authorization,
session termination, etc.)

--Gerardo

---

From: "kamakshi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:40:34 +0530

Hi All,
 It is mentioned in the rc3588 that the Accounting state machine is
server directed and it uses Accounting-Realtime-Required AVP to instruct
the client how it has to operate(when the transfer of records is delayed
or not delivered). But the RFC does not specify under what conditions
are this AVP values set to DELIVER_AND_GRANT, GRANT_AND_STORE or
GRANT_AND_LOSE. The Rf application doesn't use this AVP and the NASREQ
application also doesn't define how this has to be set. Is there any
other application which tells how it has to used at the server side ?

Thanks,
Kamakshi L K

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerardo Giaretta [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:54 PM
To: Vijay Devarapalli
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Dime] renaming and re-scoping of the Dime MIP6 I-Ds

--Gerardo