Subject: [Dime] Hop-by-Hop ID

From: Sarkar Biplab <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 13:53:55 +0530

Hello All,

I have a query.

I am unable to understand why is there a need to have Hop-by-Hop ID. I
think the RFC should capture some text as to what is the purpose of this
attribute.

I think the tuple <End-to-End ID><Origin-Host> is sufficient to uniquely
identify a message and its duplicates in the network.

Can anyone please help me in explaining this?

Thanks & Regards
Biplab
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Gowda, Avinash" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:12:18 +0530

Hi Biplab,

In case of agents Hop-By-Hop identifier is needed. In agents this field
will be saved and replaced with unique value and will be forwarded to
the next hop available. So in general Hop-By-Hop Id field will be
helpful in message routing. And also based on this transaction states
will be maintained. 

But in case of End-to-End Identifier, it cannot be modified by the
agents and it's used along with origin host to identify the duplication
of messages.

Please refer RFC3588 Sections 2.8 and 6.1.8

So I think both E-t-E and H-b-H ids are needed. 

Please comment on this.

Thanks,

Avinash Gowda

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Sarkar Biplab
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 1:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Dime] Hop-by-Hop ID

Hello All,

I have a query.

Thanks & Regards
Biplab