Subject: [Dime] Diameter QoS parameters

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:08:18 +0200

We got a lot of feedback on the Diameter QoS parameters document. Here
is the document that was published before the last IETF meeting that was
subject for discussion at IETF#73: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-qos-parameters-07.tx
t

Version -07 already addresses some of the comments but there is more.
The comments, as summarized during the IETF#73 DIME meeting, fall into
four categories: 

* The parameters have to be encoded as Diameter AVPs

We discussed this during the meeting and folks in the room concluded
that the next draft version must use a Diameter AVP encoding. If you
object please speak up. 

Deadline: 9th December 2008

* More description of the parameters is necessary

Currently, the document includes a couple of references to other
documents and assumes that the reader resolves these references and
reads into the subject. 

It's a fair request to have the document more self contained. 

* The Excess Treatment parameter does not fit into this document but
rather belongs into the QoS attribute draft. 

This was a comment Dan made in his AD review. It is a pretty
uncontroversal issue and I believe Dan is right.  

* There were questions why some of the QoS parameters are actually in
the document. From a historical point of view we have just copied all
the parameters from the NSIS QSPEC document into this draft since we
argued (back then) that we are not going to define our own QoS
mechanisms and hence we would rely on the work done elsewhere in the
IETF on QoS. 

The document lists all the parameters that have to be implemented as
they belong to one QoS profile. Folks argued that parameters like "Path
Latency", "Path Jitter", "Path PLR", "Path PER" are difficult to
implement in today's hardware. 

That's a fair statement and the chairs are (quickly) trying to figure
out what can be done in today's hardware (or in the foreseeable future)
and will make a proposal to the list. 

In any case, your feedback regarding these issues is highly appreciated.

Ciao
Hannes
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime