Subject: [Dime] FW: I-D Action:draft-zorn-dime-rfc4005bis-01.txt

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:13:57 +0700

A topic of discussion during the last couple of AAA Doctors meetings has
been what to do about RFC 4005 in general and RADIUS-Diameter
interoperability in particular.  In Anaheim we decided to just try removing
the RADIUS->Diameter translation stuff from 4005 (since it was unclear that
it had ever actually been deployed) & see who screamed in pain ;-).  I took
the action item to revise the doc & this draft is the result.  In addition
to (I hope) carving out all the RADIUS-specific stuff (including all of
section 9), I've also fixed a number of (small, IMHO) grammatical problems &
some clumsy phrasing, reorganized the document to better (I hope) reflect
the various groups of AVPs & reworked the AVP tables to remove redundant
information.  Comments are welcomed!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-zorn-dime-rfc4005bis-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Diameter Network Access Server Application
	Author(s)       : G. Zorn
	Filename        : draft-zorn-dime-rfc4005bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 66
	Date            : 2010-05-23

This document describes the Diameter protocol application used for
Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) services in the Network
Access Server (NAS) environment.  When combined with the Diameter Base
protocol, Transport Profile, and Extensible Authentication Protocol
specifications, this application specification satisfies typical network
access services requirements.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zorn-dime-rfc4005bis-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Dave Nelson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 07:20:35 -0400

Glen Zorn writes...

> A topic of discussion during the last couple of AAA Doctors meetings
> has been what to do about RFC 4005 in general and RADIUS-Diameter
> interoperability in particular.  In Anaheim we decided to just try
> removing the RADIUS->Diameter translation stuff from 4005 (since it
> was unclear that it had ever actually been deployed) ...

I don't personally know that it was ever implemented; I've never been
involved with a Diameter implementation.

One question that comes to mind is what we ought to do about the RADIUS RFCs
that include a Diameter Compatibility section, based on the translation
concepts that you are proposing to deprecate --- err, remove, actually?
Technically, I suppose that rfc4005bis would need to Update those RFCs,
indicating that the Diameter Compatibility section is to be ignored.  That
seems cumbersome, but I don't see any other way to formally tie up all those
loose ends.

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:22:57 +0700

> seems cumbersome, but I don't see any other way to formally tie up all

If & when the draft becomes an RFC, it might be easier (& less confusing) to
publish very short notes updating the relevant RADIUS RFCs.