Subject: [Dime] FW: [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC4072 (1955)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:25:41 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: RFC Errata System [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 4:40 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC4072 (1955)

The following errata report has been held for document update for
RFC4072, "Diameter Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
Application". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4072&eid=1955

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]> Date Reported: 2009-12-03 Held
by: Dan Romascanu (IESG)

Section: 4.1.4

Original Text
-------------
   Note that not all link layers use this name, and currently most EAP

   methods do not generate it.  Since the NAS operates in pass-through

   mode, it cannot know the Key-Name before receiving it from the AAA

   server.  As a result, a Key-Name AVP sent in a Diameter-EAP-Request

   MUST NOT contain any data.  A home Diameter server receiving a

   Diameter-EAP-Request with a Key-Name AVP with non-empty data MUST

   silently discard the AVP.  

Corrected Text
--------------
   Note that not all link layers use this name, and currently most EAP

   methods do not generate it.  Since the NAS operates in pass-through

   mode, it cannot know the name of the key before receiving it from the
AAA

   server.  As a result, an EAP-Key-Name AVP sent in a
Diameter-EAP-Request

   MUST NOT contain any data.  A home Diameter server receiving a

   Diameter-EAP-Request containing an EAP-Key-Name AVP with non-empty
data MUST

   silently ignore the AVP.  

Notes
-----
In the original text, the first occurrence of the string "Key-Name"
apparently is meant to refer to the actual name of the key, rather than
an AVP identifier, while the next two occurrences are obviously typos,
since no Key-Name AVP is defined in the document.  Also, the term
"silently discard" is typically used in reference to messages; with
reference to a single AVP, "silently ignore" seems more appropriate.

--------------------------------------
RFC4072 (draft-ietf-aaa-eap-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Diameter Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
Application
Publication Date    : August 2005
Author(s)           : P. Eronen, Ed., T. Hiller, G. Zorn
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Authentication, Authorization and Accounting
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG