Subject: Recall email protocol

From: "William McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:02:09 -0700

I'd like to find out if this idea has already been done, or is in the works.

I was interested in finding out if there is a standard that addresses
'recalling of e-mail message'.  I know that Outlook does this, but I didn't
know if it was an email standard.  I didn't find anything initially in my
RFC search.

Aside from the obvious use case where a person simply goofs in the
information or sender, OR worse, sends a gossip email about his boss to his
boss by mistake and wants it back, there is another more practical
application I can think of:  virus damage control cleanup engines which
reverse the virus spam that generated from your e-mail account by recalling
all the bogus emails; a self correcting mechanism.  However, there are
security issues with making sure a virus doesn't recall a message you are
relying on having been sent and received.

Anyway, what do you think?

TIA,

--Bill McDonald

***********************************

*  Sr. Application Engineer

*  PO Box 11345

*  Chandler, AZ 85248-0006

*  480-629-8383

***********************************

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:56:35 -0500

> 'recalling of e-mail message'. 

if you can make the authentication reliable, scalable, and immune to capture
by a monopoly, it's a good idea.  so far nobody has figured out how to do that.

Keith