Subject: Fwd: Last Call: 'Atom Threading Extensions' to Proposed Standard (draft-snell-atompub-feed-thread)

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:51:49 -0700

FYI -- this is an individual submission yet intended for Proposed  
Standard, so input is most welcome.

Lisa

Begin forwarded message:

> From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Date: May 15, 2006 3:02:13 PM PDT
> To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Last Call: 'Atom Threading Extensions' to Proposed  
> Standard  (draft-snell-atompub-feed-thread)
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
>
> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to  
> consider the
> following document:
>
> - 'Atom Threading Extensions '
>    <draft-snell-atompub-feed-thread-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
> [email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2006-06-12.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-snell-atompub-feed- 
> thread-10.txt
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:45:42 -0700 (PDT)

> Standard, so input is most welcome.

I have a couple of comments, all minor.

The sentence at the beginning of section 3 is confusing (to me at least). it
says:

  The "in-reply-to" element is used to indicate that an entry is a
  response to another resource and MUST contain either or both the
  "ref" and "href" attributes.

Unless you read it carefully it sounds like the MUST requirement applies
to the referenced entry, not the in-reply-to element itself. How about
changing it to something like:

  The "in-reply-to" element is used to indicate that an entry is a
  response to another resource. The element MUST contain either or both the
  "ref" and "href" attributes.

Now, I have a lot more experience with XML Schema than with Relax NG so 
maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the Relax NG definition seems to say
that the source attribute can only appear when the ref attribute is present
and the type attribute can only appear when the href attribute is present.
But this isn't spelled out in the (normative) text. How about adding
"When the ref attribute is present" before "The 'source' attribute ..." and
"When the href attribute is present" before "The 'type' attribute ..."?

Finally, the document seems a bit short on specifics of how the 
in-reply-to element is actually used. Although the underlying semantic
model here seems to be simpler than email's in-reply-to/references scheme
(a good thing IMO), perhaps some words about whether you need to list just
the parent(s) and not the grandparent(s) would be in order. There
were certainly differences of opinion about this in the days of RFC 822
which RFC 2822 section 3.6.4 cleared up.

That's it!

				Ned

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:59:26 -0700

> I have a couple of comments, all minor.

Thank you for taking the time.

>[snip]

Yes, this makes sense. Also, I am changing this definition making ref
required in all cases.

> "When the href attribute is present" before "The 'type' attribute ..."?

Yes.  I'll make the change.

> which RFC 2822 section 3.6.4 cleared up.

I will take another look at 2822 and see if I can strike the right balance.

> That's it!

Thanks again.

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

> Yes, this makes sense. Also, I am changing this definition making ref

Good - I think that makes even more sense.

> I will take another look at 2822 and see if I can strike the right balance.

Sounds good.

				Ned