Subject: X.733 et alia fatally flawed?

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:12:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:20:37 -0800
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Proposed disman charter addition: alarm tracking
> In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
> List-Id: IETF disman Working Group mailing list <[email-masked]>
...
> On one hand, the need for a MIB covering this subject area is great
> and is a topic that is reoccuring on several of the SNMP mailing
> lists and the SNMP news group. 

I'm glad we'll have your support!

>                                On the other hand, I believe the
> ITU-T documents on which the Sharon's MIB is a based are "fatally flawed",
> and these flaws are carried forward in Sharon's document.
...

In yet another message, I am going to formally request that work
on alarm tracking be added to our charter.  The statement of work
will only require the WG to "consider existing standards and
practices, such as ITU-T X.733"

Despite several requests on this list, I have yet to see any
any statement of what these allegedly fatal flaws might be.
As WG chair, I am requesting that anyone believing there
to be such problems post the technical arguments to this
list by January 7, 2001.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------