Subject: Re: Comments on RFC 2591

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 2000 16:09:23 +0100

Another question/comment on RFC 2591:

5. Section 3.4. describes a model of two kinds of time transitions,
   those that cause ambiguous times and those that cause non-existent
   times. On time transitions that cause non-existent times, the text
   says:

     When an action is configured in the Schedule MIB to occur at a
     nonexistent time, the action SHOULD be invoked immediately upon a
     time transition. If multiple actions are invoked in this way, they
     SHALL be invoked in the order in which they normally would be invoked
     had the time transition not occured. For example, if an action (a) is
     scheduled at 2:05 am and another action (b) at 2:10 am, then both
     actions SHOULD be invoked at 3:00 am in the order (a),(b) if the time
     jumps forward from 2:00 am to 3:00 am.

   This example talks about two distinct actions (thus described by
   two separate schedules). But how about a single action of a single
   schedule that would be invoked multiple times during a single
   `period of non-existent time ;-)'? Assume you have a schedEntry
   like this:

        schedType    = periodic
        schedWeekDay = sunday
        schedDay     = d29
        schedMonth   = oct
        schedHour    = 2
        schedMinute  = m0 + m1 + ... + m58 + m59

   Would the action of this schedule have been invoked 60 times at
   3 o'clock right after the end of the daylight savings period? Or
   would it have been invoked just once?

   I think there could be reasons for both models, but I see more
   value in having it invoked just once.

   However, I believe the text should be clearer at this point.

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:38:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

I haven't seen any replies to Frank's follow-up question.
Any thoughts?  Personally, I think his "just once"
interpretation is reasonable.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------

> From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Comments on RFC 2591
> References: <[email-masked]>
> Date: 04 Dec 2000 16:09:23 +0100
> In-Reply-To: Frank Strauss's message of "30 Nov 2000 16:12:59 +0100"
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> List-Id: IETF disman Working Group mailing list <[email-masked]>
> 
>