Subject: RE: Model-neutral & Model-specific Alarm Deliverables

From: Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:53:40 +0200

Juergen,

It's even simpler. The Alarm MIB is model neutral and will keep a pointer to
the alarm model. 

We think that developing a generic alarm model is too big a task to be dealt
with in one hop. We would like to use this scalable mechanism, and gather
some experience with building a specific model that deals with the ITU
alarms mapping.

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Juergen Schoenwaelder [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Tue December 05 2000 18:46
> To:	[email-masked]
> Cc:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: Model-neutral & Model-specific Alarm Deliverables
> 
> 
> 
> >>>>> Sharon Chisholm writes:
> 
> Sharon> Dan and I have been discussing the best way to move forward
> Sharon> based on some of the comments on the mailing list.  We would
> Sharon> like to break the Alarm MIB deliverable into two pieces: 1. A
> Sharon> model-neutral MIB containing the active alarm list,
> Sharon> raise/clear mapping, aging and any other model-neutral
> Sharon> requirements 2. An ITU Alarm Model MIB.  This both proves the
> Sharon> model-neutral MIB's ability to work with an alarm model but
> Sharon> fulfils a requirement of the install base already using this
> Sharon> model.
> 
> I prefer a simple single alarm model and mib. Lets keep it small and
> simple so that it actually gets implemented and deployed.
> 
> /js
> 
> -- 
> Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
> <[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
> Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
> Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:57:38 +0100

>>>>> Dan Romascanu writes:

Dan> It's even simpler. The Alarm MIB is model neutral and will keep a
Dan> pointer to the alarm model.

Hm. I guess I need to see the details before I can understand what
this model neutral part is and what the alarm model part is.

Dan> We think that developing a generic alarm model is too big a task
Dan> to be dealt with in one hop. We would like to use this scalable
Dan> mechanism, and gather some experience with building a specific
Dan> model that deals with the ITU alarms mapping.

I was not arguing for a generic alarm model. I was arguing for one
which is just good enough to do what many folks have done before in
private MIBs (and they are usually based on the ITU alarm model).

/js