Subject: Model-neutral & Model-specific Alarm Deliverables

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:28:27 -0500

hi

Dan and I have been discussing the best way to move forward
based on some of the comments on the mailing list.  We would 
like to break the Alarm MIB deliverable into two pieces:
	1. A model-neutral MIB containing the active alarm list,
	   raise/clear mapping, aging and any other model-neutral
	   requirements
	2. An ITU Alarm Model MIB.  This both proves the model-neutral
	   MIB's ability to work with an alarm model but fulfils a
	   requirement of the install base already using this model.

This division doesn't rule out a more generic alarm model being defined
in the future and being used with the model-neutral MIB.

Thoughts?

Sharon Chisholm
Preside Management
Nortel Networks
Ottawa, Ontario

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:46:01 +0100

>>>>> Sharon Chisholm writes:

Sharon> Dan and I have been discussing the best way to move forward
Sharon> based on some of the comments on the mailing list.  We would
Sharon> like to break the Alarm MIB deliverable into two pieces: 1. A
Sharon> model-neutral MIB containing the active alarm list,
Sharon> raise/clear mapping, aging and any other model-neutral
Sharon> requirements 2. An ITU Alarm Model MIB.  This both proves the
Sharon> model-neutral MIB's ability to work with an alarm model but
Sharon> fulfils a requirement of the install base already using this
Sharon> model.

I prefer a simple single alarm model and mib. Lets keep it small and
simple so that it actually gets implemented and deployed.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>