Subject: RE: Relationship of Event to Alarm and Condition&ARC MIBS

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:00:55 +0200

Jon,

Quote from RFC 2981:

The Event MIB is instrumentation for a distributed management
   application that monitors MIB objects.  In its simplest form this
   application monitors individual, local MIB objects, just as an RMON
   probe fulfills the functions implied by RMON's alarm and event
   operation.  Additionally the application can monitor remote objects
   and wildcarded groups of objects.

The MIB objects monitored by the Event MIB may belong to any MIB,
located locally or remotely. The objects may certainly belong to the
Alarm MIB. Do you see a more tight coupling?

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jon Saperia [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 5:24 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Relationship of Event to Alarm and Condition&ARC MIBS
> 
> 
> The Alarm MIB Draft talks about the Alarm Framework:
> 
>  3. Alarm Management Framework
>    3.1. Terminology
>    3.2. Features of this Architecture
>    3.3. Alarm Management Architecture
>    3.4. Relation to Notification Log MIB
>    3.5. Relation to Interfaces Group MIB
>    3.6. Relation to Entity MIB
>    3.7. Relation to Application MIB
> 
> It seems to me that we need to connect this to the Event MIB. I agree
> with distinctions between alarms and events but think we 
> should consider
> helping people connect these pieces together along with the condition
> and ARC MIB as well.
> 
> Thanks,
> /jon
> 
> --
> Jon Saperia		     [email-masked]
> 			     Phone: 617-744-1079
> 			     Fax:   617-249-0874
> 			     http://www.jdscons.com/
>

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 11:08:49 -0500

> Alarm MIB. Do you see a more tight coupling?

Dan, thanks for the quick reply. I have three suggestions for
the Alarm MIB and Condition and ARC MIB Drafts. I say this because it
was not clear to me the nature of this relationship in the two drafts.

     1. The Alarm MIB Draft should specificlly mention the event MIB and
     the relationship of objects in each and role in a fault/event/alarm
     system.

     2. The same connections should be made for the condition/arc
     document. I do see that in may ways one sees these as different,
     but they to my way of thinking are related. A condition might also
     be associated with one or more events and/or alarms.

     3. If ot for the condition document, at least for the Alarm
     document we should talk about not all alarms need be faults. My
     specific point is that performance alerts (over/under utilization)
     information also fits here. While the focus might appropriately be
     on faults, these mechanims as everyone probably knows would work
     well for performance and service level management. I can even see
     this connecting nicely with the remote ops MIB.

/jon

Thanks,
/jon
--