Subject: Re: Fwd: nslookup mib questions

From: "Kenneth White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 18:02:03 -0500

Brian,

> My name is Brian Beach, and I have been given the task of implementing
> remops (RFC 2925) for Remote Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations.
>
> I have started with the DISMAN-LOOKUP-MIB, and had a few questions which
I
> was wondering if you could help me clear up.
>
> The first question I have is that this mib does not support any polling
> interval to retry lookup requests. i.e. You create a row with RowStatus
to
> createAndGo, if there is an TargetAddress defined, transition to active,
> which transitions OperStatus to enabled(1), which triggers the request.
> This only happens once. If you want to do this multiple times, what do
you
> do?

Create a new entry. It has been a long time since I've looked at the MIB
but
I think that unlike tracerte and ping, a lookup operation wasn't considered
to be something that would repeat periodically.

> Perhaps I should restate the question this way:
> What happens when the result comes back from the query, and OperStatus is
> set to completed(3)?

> It seems that the RowStatus should not remain active,
> since a RowStatus of active defines OperStatus to transition to
> enabled(1), and would get in an endless loop. So, should we transition
> RowStatus to notInService? This way if you want to try the
> same lookup request, you could simply do a set on RowStatus back to
active
> and it would try again. The only problem with this is that after some
> period of time, any rows with a RowStatus of notInService or notReady are
> supposed to automatically get destroyed.

> Secondly, I am not sure why the lookupCtlTime and lookupCtlRc are not
> saved in the Results Table. Can you expand on this?

An entry in the table is not structured to allow repeat operations. There
would
need to be an AdminStatus object as well as having the ACCESS clauses
changed
on several of the objects.

Ken