Subject: Re: RFC 2982 (disman expression MIB) Implementation Experience

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:17:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:28:18 -0800
> From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: RFC 2982 (disman expression MIB) Implementation Experience
> References: <[email-masked]>
....
> expValueIpAddressVal OBJECT-TYPE
...
>      This object exists only for backward compatibility with
>      the IpAddress type which exists in SMIv2. This object DOES
>      NOT restrict this MIB to the use of IPv4 addresses only."
...

As a technical contributor, I'd be happier with something like:

  This object type is necessary to support values represented
  using the IpAddress type, which is limited to IPv4.  IPv6
  addressess are represented using the OCTET STRING type, and
  would thus show up as instances of expValueOctetStringVal.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:00:18 -0800

>   would thus show up as instances of expValueOctetStringVal.

Made the change.

Ram