Subject: Re: summary of issues I've raised with the Alarm MIB

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:51:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:51:11 -0800
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: summary of issues I've raised with the Alarm MIB
> In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
...
> Look near the end of section 7.7 in RFC 2578 for rules about max-access
> for index objects.
...

I still don't see the prohibition.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:08:03 -0800

HI,

>I still don't see the prohibition.

 From RFC 2578, end of section 7.7:

   Objects which are both specified in the INDEX clause of a conceptual
   row and also columnar objects of the same conceptual row are termed
   auxiliary objects.  The MAX-ACCESS clause for auxiliary objects is
   "not-accessible", except in the following circumstances:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   here

(1)  within a MIB module originally written to conform to SMIv1, and
     later converted to conform to SMIv2; or

(2)  a conceptual row must contain at least one columnar object which is
     not an auxiliary object.  In the event that all of a conceptual
     row's columnar objects are also specified in its INDEX clause, then
     one of them must be accessible, i.e., have a MAX-ACCESS clause of
     "read-only". (Note that this situation does not arise for a
     conceptual row allowing create access, since such a row will have a
     status column which will not be an auxiliary object.)

   Note that objects specified in a conceptual row's INDEX clause need
   not be columnar objects of that conceptual row.  In this situation,
   the DESCRIPTION clause of the conceptual row must include a textual
   explanation of how the objects which are included in the INDEX clause
   but not columnar objects of that conceptual row, are used in uniquely
   identifying instances of the conceptual row's columnar objects.

Regards,
/david t. perkins