Subject: Progressing the Condition/ARC MIB

From: "Lam, Hing-Kam (Kam)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:46:53 -0500

In the Salt Lake City meeting, the Condition/ARC MIB
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-disman-conditionmib-01.txt
was discussed and some open issues were noted (see the meeting details
posted by Randy on December 18).

To progress the Condition/ARC MIB, I have extrated those open issues to here
to solicite your input. The issues are mainly related to the terminology,
definition, and relationship with the Alarm MIB (Sections 3, 4 and 5 of the
document).
Attached is the modified Sections 3, 4, & 5 for your comments.

> 4. Condition MIB and ARC MIB
> - changes from version 00 to version 01
> - open issues
> - terminology - condition to be taken on the mailing list - Kam to
> initiate the thread

One of the comments on the document is that it should point to the alarm MIB
for the definitions. Agree. Once the definitions (Error, Fault, Alarm, Alarm
Raised, Alarm Cleared, Event, and Notification) are removed, the only term
left is Condition. So I think the current Section 3.1 "Terminology" can be
deleted and embed the definition of Condition in the first couple paragraphs
at the beginning of Section 3 as follow.

   The Condition MIB module defines MIB objects and notifications that 
   provide mechanism to monitor abnormal conditions currently active 
   and the history of abnormal conditions being set and cleared on a 
   managed system.

   The list of abnormal conditions that can be monitored by using this 
   MIB are based on the Probable Causes defined in ITU-T Recommendations 
   M.3100, X.733, and X.736. A textual convention, IANAItuProbableCause, 
   has been defined in the Alarm MIB to assign values to the ITU-T 
   Probable Causes. The IANAItuProbableCause textual convention is being 
   used by the Condition MIB to represent the abnormal conditions. 

> - Alarm Raised and Clear - should point to the Alarm MIB

Agree. See the attached file, Section 3.

> - Alarm type definition  - delete section 3.2

Agree. See the attached file, Section 3.

> - Section 4.1 readability  - text needs fixing, diagram should be taken
> out

Agree. See the attached file, Section 4.1. The diagram and associated text
have been deleted.

> - change 'clarification' in Section 5 that says that when a resource is
> in ARC mode active alarm information SHALL be available for retrieval by
> the managing system - change active alarm with condition information

Agree. See the attached file, Section 5, third paragraph, last sentence.

> - section 5.1 - ARC impact on alarm notifications - needs to be further
> worked on the list.

The text has been modified to describe the general impact on alarm
notifications according to M.3100 Amendment 3, and not to describe its
impact on specific notifications, such as those in the Alarm MIB and
Condition MIB. See attached file, Section 5.1. 

> - relationship with Alarm MIB - Sharon to propose text on the mailing
> list

To be provided. Any input or suggestion on this item.

Regards,
Kam
 <<cond_mib_sec3-4-5.txt>>