Subject: RE: List of Notif Log MIB issues

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:58:17 -0500

hi

Randy>
Randy> > 3. Variable to indicate the current log index for each named log
Randy>
Randy> Sharon Chisholm took the action item to do the math to assess
Randy> what the actual improvement will be.  The numbers are... ?

No numbers just yet, but a bit of a clarification on the problem and
a possible solution.

The problem is that for the most efficient algorithms you need to
be able to query one variable that tells you how many notifications
you should have received, compare this to the number of notifications
you have received and then take action as appropriate. The closest
object to this is nlmStatsLogNotificationsLogged, but this object is
not guaranteed to give the right answer. The three cases I believe
it fails are if the logIndex wraps, if logIndex does not always
increase by one, or if the notifications in a viewed log includes
notifications you are not receiving due to VACM or filtering reasons.

It seems to me that if we created a table with VACM/Filter type 
indexing, such as snmpTargetParamsName, with an object like
nlmTargetCurrentLogIndex in it then this would be the correct object
all the time.

Sharon