Subject: replication discussion?

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:55:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

Any followup discussion to the Clustering Architecture / 
replication discussion in Salt Lake City?

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:58:07 -0200 (BRST)

Hi, 

> replication discussion in Salt Lake City?

A new slightly revised version of the Clustering/Replication MIB is 
available at:
http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~aldri/draft/replicationmib/index.html

Your regular monitoring system allows you to browse the MIB of all
working/fault-free agents, but what about the crashed/unreachable agents?

As the agent has crashed, you can't access its MIB variables, right?
Not with the Clustering Architecture/ Replication MIB!

By browsing the MIB of a crashed agent you may discover what was the traffic
on its interfaces before it crashed, what type of traffic was there,
and the system state including protocols, CPU, memory, etc.

In order to get this benefit, we must pay a price: the extra traffic
required to replicate selected managed objects. It is possible to determine
replication intervals that will cause an extra traffic that fits within 
acceptable bounds. Furthermore, the distributed clustering architecture
avoids bottlenecks in network monitoring.

We are looking forward to your comments!

Aldri