Subject: a question about alarmModelVarbindIndex

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:40:04 +0100

Hi,

I'm confused about what to do with alarmModelVarbindIndex.

If I'm sending an SNMPv2c or SNMPv3 notification, there are
two "built-in" varbinds (sysUpTime.0 and snmpTrapOID.0).
If you're sending an SNMPv1 trap, that's not the case.

What value does alarmModelVarbindIndex have to point to ifIndex
in a linkDown trap?  Should it be 1 or 3?  In the examples in
the current alarm MIB, it is 2.  I don't understand that.

It looks like (1) I don't understand the semantics of
alarmModelVarbindIndex and it's not just an index into the
incoming varbind list or (2) we're starting to count at 0 and
assuming v2c/v3 notifications.

Can someone help me understand?

Cheers,

dlp

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:06:41 -0800

HI,

To deal with the differences between the format of v1Traps and
v2Traps and Informs, I suggest that the software simply translates
the v1Traps (using the standard rules in RFC 2576) into the standard form.
Many management packages already do this.

>Can someone help me understand?
Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:14:17 +0100

Hi,

> Many management packages already do this.

That'd be great.  I just can't make sense of what's in the
document at the moment and would like to understand the
intention.

I'd be perfectly happy with this resolution.  If that's done,
then what does a value of 1 for alarmModelVarbindIndex mean?
sysUpTime.0?  or whatever comes after snmpTrapOID.0?  Or are we C
programmers and counting from 0 so it's really the _second_
varbind after snmpTrapOID.0 (I sure hope not).

I think a good answer is that 1 is the first varbind after
snmpTrapOID.0 but that needs to be written somewhere.

Cheers,

dlp