Subject: Re: NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:59:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:58:32 -0800
> From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
> To: "Nallappa, Bhashyam" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB
> References: <[email-masked]>
..
> managed systems have limitations on how much memory they
> can dedicate to the notification log mib. The notif log mib,
> IMHO, isn't a permanent store for logged notifications. Notifs
> should be kept for a "reasonable period of time" so  that
> NMSes can periodically poll for lost notifications. A reasonable
> time could be 10 minutes, an hour, 24 hours. Anything logged
> on the managed device much beyond that may be of questionable
> value, IMHO.
...

RFC 3014 is a bit more specific than this.  Don't forget that
nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut and nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit control the
behaviour, and that the big unknown in any case will be the
rate of notification arrival.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------