From: "Stefan Wallin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:48:43 +0100

Hi!

Regarding Open issue Alarm#11 Resource Identification
=======================================================

It would be helpful if the object reference mechanism allowed me
a bit more power than it currently does.
It doesn't really allow me to reference an object in a
enterprise-specific MIB or some other standard MIB. This
could be done very indirectly by implementing the entity mib
and letting that point further to the resource but this is
rather roundabout.

I think it would be very useful to use OIDs and would strongly
recommend to having an OID pointing to the object.

dynamic Mapping to X733
============================
The current model assumes that mapping is done very static:
it is based on translating every entry in alarmModelTable to the X733
parameters.
This model assumes that the notification does not carry any X733 like
information in var-binds.
The only information that is mapped dynamically (checking var-bind in
notification) is severity -> alarmModelState.

Having done alarm management apps translating SNMP notifications to X733
format I have come across several occasions where the mapping is done
dynamically for things like eventType, additionalText and even
probableCause. In order to support this, (if we want to), the ituAlarmTable
needs a mechanism saying e.g. that the additionalText value should be
fetched from var-bind #4, instead of hard-wiring to a static text.