Subject: Re: event mib operating on ranges

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:15:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:30:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: Randy Presuhn <rpresuhn>
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: event mib operating on ranges
...
> In Salt Lake City, Ram reported that a difficulty that
> has arisen with the Event MIB is that it doesn't provide a
> convenient way to apply thresholding for a range of ports.
> He took the action item to provide an example to the WG
> mailing list.
...

Has anyone been able to reconstruct the problem case that
concerned Ram?

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:17:57 -0700

> Has anyone been able to reconstruct the problem case that

Yep - I took the action item and fell flat on my face. :-(
The problem I'd mentioned was:
1. The Event MIB does great at wildcarding one ports,
or ALL ports. It's hard to apply a template to a subset
of all the existing ports on a device. We had to come up with
a separate table in a proprietary MIB for this. This MIB
had a table of templates, and another template-to-port mapping 
table.

Each template could specify what object to watch for/threshold.

Ram