Subject: More than one notification for a state change

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:13:56 -0700

HI,

What if there are more than one notification type that causes
a change to the same state? The alarm model table doesn't
seem to support this. How is this done?

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:57:41 -0400

hi

You would model them with different values for alarmModelState.
The downside of this is that you may be artificially implying 
that these equivalent states have different severity, but I 
think this is balanced by the upside of keeping the model 
simple. It's the raise/clear relationship that is most 
important in practice.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: David T. Perkins [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 2:14 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: More than one notification for a state change

HI,

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: More than one notification for a state change
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:57:41 -0400
...
> simple. It's the raise/clear relationship that is most 
...

Thanks for the explanation.

The thing that I keep tripping over is that alarmModelState
is the *next* state rather than the *current* state in the FSM.

(Folks who implement FSMs are accustomed to representing
FSMs as arrays, where one dimension of the array is "current
state", and the other dimension of the array is "event", and
the array content holds any actions to be taken as well as
identification of the "next state".  Treating "next state"
as an array dimension rather than as content takes some
getting used to, and may be contributing to the confusion.)

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------