Subject: Which named list does all alarm use

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:18:38 -0700

HI,

How is it determined into which named active list an alarm is put?
How and why named lists are used is not shown.

Also, it seems kind of redundant that the model table is indexed
by a list name, since it would seem like there would be the same
entries in each named list.

Could an example be shown that demonstrated how named model and
active lists were used together.

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:34:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:18:38 -0700
> To: [email-masked]
> From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Which named list does all alarm use
> List-Id: IETF disman Working Group mailing list <disman.dorothy.bmc.com>
...
> How is it determined into which named active list an alarm is put?

My understanding is that an active alarm entry would be
created in each list which had at least one model entry
matching the notification.

> How and why named lists are used is not shown.

I assumed they were to support multiple communities of
interest, perhaps with different access rights.

> entries in each named list.

There is an access control issue here.  If we don't want the
active alarm table to leak information about notifications,
we need to ensure that stuff gets put into that table only
if that table's "owner" would have been permitted to get
the notification.  (This is the same set of issues that
went into the security considerations for the log mib.)
Since the model table "sees" the notifications, only
stuff which has already been approved for access should
be processed in accordance with the models specified in it.
This strongly suggests that the models should be kept separate.

> active lists were used together.
...

I like this suggestion, but would hope that it would flow
naturally from any of the other examples.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------