Subject: Trend indicator

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:52:31 -0700

HI,

In section 8.1.26 of X.733 on trend indication, it basically says that
the trend indication is only used when there is already an active
alarm on the object instance. The next to last sentence of the
section is 
"The Trend indication parameter shall not be present is there
are no outstanding alarms." 

Given this, it seems like the values for the ItuTrendIndication TC
should have one of following additions...
   indeterminate - for when you can't determine the trend
   noneActive - for when you can determine there are currently
                 no outstanding alarms for the instance

Also, the above TC and others from the external documents do not
have the explanatory text found in those documents. This causes
pain to the MIB reader, since they have to search down those documents
and translate between SNMP terminology and CMIP terminology. Those
readers without the CMIP background may misinterpret the text
in the external documents.

Regards,
/david t. perkins