Subject: DISMAN Meeting minutes - 0716/02

From: Niraj Gopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:59:29 +0900

Hi,

Here are the DISMAN WG meeting minutes for 07/16/02.
Please correct/update if I missed anything.

Thanks,
-Niraj

=====================================================

DISMAN WG Meeting minutes
Date : 07/16/2002
Time : 1545-1645
Room Number : 304
Reported by : Niraj Gopal ([email-masked])

Chair Presentation:

The chair mentioned that INTAP/OSMIC (http://www.intap.or.jp)
is working on CIM/XML over SOAP for Alarms and that might be
relevant for us. But no specific action is needed.
XMLCONF might have some impact on us e.g. Juniper scheme does
not send events thru XML.

Condition MIB Prsentation:

Action Item - Bert to resolve Boiler plate references for rfc1155,
1215, 1157, 2571 to informative/normative. Especially becasue SNMPv1
status is now historic and should be informative.

Action Item - For security section, Kam to list the objects that
are read-create or read-write and if they contain any privacy
information.

There was a discussion regarding referential integrity problem
in one of the tables in this MIB. That MIB table uses a fully
qualified Object Identifier of a resource (MIB Varable in another
table) as one of its indices. But the value of that resource ID
can change across reboots thereby causing this MIB table index
to point to some other value, if the table is persisted. In addition,
VACM configuration for such resource IDs can be problematic.

It was asked if it would be adequate to say in the Security Considerations
section that resources with unstable indices (non-persistent) can
have problems. Bert pointed out that we need a separate doc as this
a generic problem. Randy pointed out that ADSL profiles handle it
thru description and that it is a known limitation of VACM.

Action Item - A BCP might be needed for this general referential
integrity problem.

Shall we add a storage type to this table or save all entries?
David Perkins pointed out that for CLI you cannot say if a particular
instance be saved while others are not but it could be SNMP specific.
Bert mentioned that either storage type or all entries saved is fine
but it should be the same as we have been doing.

Action Item - Kam to raise this question on mailing list if all entries
should be persistent or only some.

Action Item - Kam to define a IANAItuProbableCauseOrZero TC in this
MIB with Unsigned32 syntax that can take any value of IANAItuProbableCause
or 0. IANA should also be informed not to assign 0, in future, for
IANAItuProbableCause.

Bert pointed out that it could have a 0 value and 0 in Index is not
good. Randy suggested that it is ok for this case.

Rest of the presentation to be finished on Thursday.