Subject: [Disman] Should Disman meet in Vienna?

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:48:36 -0700

Hi -

Here's a status update, some helpful hints, and a question.
Please forgive the length of this post.

The alarm documents are rapidly cycling back and forth between
the editors and our AD, fixing things as required by
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt
http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-05.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-01.txt
It would have been nice if we had taken care of this stuff before WG last call,
but we'll just have to keep that in mind for the future.

I've seen practically no discussion of any of the other disman WG
documents:  updates to expression, event, log, or script MIBs.

I have not received any requests for consideration of new topics,
nor have I seen any discussion on the WG mailing list that would
indicate interest.

The deadline for scheduling WG sessions in Vienna is fast approaching.

Paul Hoffman offers this advice for folks considering attending
the face-to-face meetings:

> - Newcomers can learn a lot ahead of time by reading the Tao of the
> IETF at <http://www.ietf.org/tao.html>. The newcomer orientation on
> Sunday (this year, at 1PM) is useful, but it is even more useful if
> they have read the Tao first.
>
> - It is a good idea to at least skim the WG archives for the past
> four months before the meeting to help  prevent rehashing items that
> have already been decided and to help focus on items that need more
> review.
>
> - Similarly, it is a good idea to re-read the WG's charter before the
> meeting. Heck, many WG chairs could get value from this...
>
> - Many IETF areas have area-wide meetings. People who are interested
> in more than just one WG can get a feel for what is happening in
> other areas by going to these meetings.
>
> - The "Note Well" notice is serious. It can be found at
> <http://www.ietf.org/overview.html>, and will be given on paper in
> the registration packets.

Now, here's the question: would it be productive for the disman WG
to meet in Vienna?  I currently do not see a need to do so, but I'm
willing to be persuaded by discussion on this list or the appearance
of relevant internet drafts.  Possibilities might include:
   - substantive progress on updates to any of the WG's published RFCs
   - substantive discussion / proposals for new work

Randy, disman WG chair, who'd really like a good reason to see if
he can find the best Konditorei in Vienna.  :-)

---

From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:07:11 -0700

> documents:  updates to expression, event, log, or script MIBs.

I've been miles behind in my editing work. Apologies for that.
I'll post these docs by the end of the week...

Ram

---

From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:07:11 -0700

Ram