Subject: [Disman] IESG has approved condition MIB

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:31:19 +0200

We just approved it. Formal announcement will come from
IESG secretariat in the next few days.

We have added these RFC-Editor notes:

RFC-Editor Notes:

1.In Section 4 "ARC MIB Overview", add the following text as a new
  paragraph after the 5th paragraph (The 5th paragraph is the one
  starts with the sentence: This document defines ....)

     Defined in M.3100 Amendment 3 [M.3100 Amd3], there are five 
     ARC states: alm, nalm, nalmQI, nalmQICD and nalmTI.
     In the ARC MIB module, the arcState object is defined to model the
     M.3100 ARC states. Note that the state alm (alarm reporting is 
     allowed) is not listed in the enumeration of the value of this 
     object.  However, this state is implicitly supported by the mib.
     Once a resource enters the normal reporting mode (i.e., into the 
     alm state) for the specified alarm type, the corresponding
     row will be automatically deleted from the arc table.
     Also the manual setting of arcState to alm can be achieved through
     setting the RowStatus object to 'destroy'. 

2.On page 6, replace DESCRIPTION clause of arcTable with:

  DESCRIPTION
    "A table of Alarm Reporting Control (ARC) settings on the system.

     Alarm Reporting Control is a feature that provides an automatic 
     in-service provisioning capability.  Alarm reporting is turned 
     off on a per-resource basis for a selective set of potential  
     alarm conditions to allow sufficient time for customer testing 
     and other maintenance activities in an 'alarm free' state.
     Once a resource is ready for service, alarm reporting is 
     automatically or manually turned on. 

     Functional description and requirements of Alarm Reporting
     Control are defined in ITU-T Recommendation M.3100 Amendment 3 
     [M.3100 Amd3]."

3.On page 9, replace DESCRIPTION clause of arcState with:

  DESCRIPTION
    "Defined in M.3100 Amendment 3 [M.3100 Amd3], there are five 
     ARC states: alm, nalm, nalmQI, nalmQICD, and nalmTI.
        
        alm:        Alarm reporting is turned on (i.e., is allowed).
        nalm:       Alarm reporting is turned off (i.e., not allowed).
        nalmQI:     nalm - Qualified Inhibit. Alarm reporting is 
                    turned off until the managed entity is qualified 
                    problem-free for an optional persistence interval.
                    Problem-free means that the condition corresponding
                    to the specified alarm type is cleared. 
        nalmQICD:   nalmQI - Count down.  This is a substate of nalmQI 
                    and performs the persistence timing countdown 
                    function after the managed entity is qualified 
                    problem-free.
        nalmTI:     nalm - Timed Inhibit.  Alarm reporting is turned 
                    off for a specified time interval. 

     alm may transition to nalm, nalmQI or nalmTI by management request.

     nalm may transition to alm, nalmQI or nalmTI by management request.

     nalmQI may transition to nalm or alm by management request.

     nalmQI may transition to alm automatically 
             if qualified problem-free (if nalmQICD is not supported) or
             if the CD timer expired (if nalmQICD is supported)

     nalmTI may transition to alm or nalm by management request.

     nalmTI may transition to alm automatically if the TI timer expired.

     Further details of ARC state transitions are defined in Figure 3 
     of M.3100 Amd3 [M.3100 Amd3].

     According to the requirements in M.3100 Amd3, a resource 
     supporting the ARC feature shall support the alm state and at 
     least one of the nalm, nalmTI, and nalmQI states. The nalmQICD 
     state is an optional substate of nalmQI.

     The arcState object controls the alarm reporting state of a 
     resource. Note that the state alm (alarm reporting is allowed) is 
     not listed in the enumeration of the value of this object.  However, 
     this state is implicitly supported by the mib.
     Once a resource enters the normal reporting mode (i.e., in the alm 
     state) for the specified alarm type, the corresponding
     row will be automatically deleted from the arc table.
     Also the manual setting of arcState to alm can be achieved through
     setting the RowStatus object to 'destroy'. 

     The nalamQICD state is a transitional state from nalmQI to alm.  It
     is optional depending on the resource type and the implementation 
     of the the resource.  If it is supported, before the state 
     transitions from nalmQI to alm, a count down period is activated 
     for a duration set by the object arcNalmCDTimeInterval.  When the 
     time is up, the arcState transitions to alm."

4.In security section, page 13, replace this text:

   Setting these objects may have disruptive effects on network
   operation that range from omission of alarm notifications
   to flooding of unwanted alarm notifications from the netowrk.

  with this text:

   Setting these objects may have disruptive effects on network
   operation that range from omission of alarm notifications to
   flooding of unwanted alarm notifications from the network.
   The consequence of suppressing or deferring the reporting
   of an alarm can prevent the timely delivery of important
   diagnostic information, including information that can help
   identify an attack.

5.Please add page numbers to Table of Contents

-30-RFC-Editor Notes:

1.In Section 4 "ARC MIB Overview", add the following text as a new
  paragraph after the 5th paragraph (The 5th paragraph is the one
  starts with the sentence: This document defines ....)

     Defined in M.3100 Amendment 3 [M.3100 Amd3], there are five 
     ARC states: alm, nalm, nalmQI, nalmQICD and nalmTI.
     In the ARC MIB module, the arcState object is defined to model the
     M.3100 ARC states. Note that the state alm (alarm reporting is 
     allowed) is not listed in the enumeration of the value of this 
     object.  However, this state is implicitly supported by the mib.
     Once a resource enters the normal reporting mode (i.e., into the 
     alm state) for the specified alarm type, the corresponding
     row will be automatically deleted from the arc table.
     Also the manual setting of arcState to alm can be achieved through
     setting the RowStatus object to 'destroy'. 

2.On page 6, replace DESCRIPTION clause of arcTable with:

  DESCRIPTION
    "A table of Alarm Reporting Control (ARC) settings on the system.

     Alarm Reporting Control is a feature that provides an automatic 
     in-service provisioning capability.  Alarm reporting is turned 
     off on a per-resource basis for a selective set of potential  
     alarm conditions to allow sufficient time for customer testing 
     and other maintenance activities in an 'alarm free' state.
     Once a resource is ready for service, alarm reporting is 
     automatically or manually turned on. 

     Functional description and requirements of Alarm Reporting
     Control are defined in ITU-T Recommendation M.3100 Amendment 3 
     [M.3100 Amd3]."

3.On page 9, replace DESCRIPTION clause of arcState with:

  DESCRIPTION
    "Defined in M.3100 Amendment 3 [M.3100 Amd3], there are five 
     ARC states: alm, nalm, nalmQI, nalmQICD, and nalmTI.
        
        alm:        Alarm reporting is turned on (i.e., is allowed).
        nalm:       Alarm reporting is turned off (i.e., not allowed).
        nalmQI:     nalm - Qualified Inhibit. Alarm reporting is 
                    turned off until the managed entity is qualified 
                    problem-free for an optional persistence interval.
                    Problem-free means that the condition corresponding
                    to the specified alarm type is cleared. 
        nalmQICD:   nalmQI - Count down.  This is a substate of nalmQI 
                    and performs the persistence timing countdown 
                    function after the managed entity is qualified 
                    problem-free.
        nalmTI:     nalm - Timed Inhibit.  Alarm reporting is turned 
                    off for a specified time interval. 

     alm may transition to nalm, nalmQI or nalmTI by management request.

     nalm may transition to alm, nalmQI or nalmTI by management request.

     nalmQI may transition to nalm or alm by management request.

     nalmQI may transition to alm automatically 
             if qualified problem-free (if nalmQICD is not supported) or
             if the CD timer expired (if nalmQICD is supported)

     nalmTI may transition to alm or nalm by management request.

     nalmTI may transition to alm automatically if the TI timer expired.

     Further details of ARC state transitions are defined in Figure 3 
     of M.3100 Amd3 [M.3100 Amd3].

     According to the requirements in M.3100 Amd3, a resource 
     supporting the ARC feature shall support the alm state and at 
     least one of the nalm, nalmTI, and nalmQI states. The nalmQICD 
     state is an optional substate of nalmQI.

     The arcState object controls the alarm reporting state of a 
     resource. Note that the state alm (alarm reporting is allowed) is 
     not listed in the enumeration of the value of this object.  However, 
     this state is implicitly supported by the mib.
     Once a resource enters the normal reporting mode (i.e., in the alm 
     state) for the specified alarm type, the corresponding
     row will be automatically deleted from the arc table.
     Also the manual setting of arcState to alm can be achieved through
     setting the RowStatus object to 'destroy'. 

     The nalamQICD state is a transitional state from nalmQI to alm.  It
     is optional depending on the resource type and the implementation 
     of the the resource.  If it is supported, before the state 
     transitions from nalmQI to alm, a count down period is activated 
     for a duration set by the object arcNalmCDTimeInterval.  When the 
     time is up, the arcState transitions to alm."

4.In security section, page 13, replace this text:

   Setting these objects may have disruptive effects on network
   operation that range from omission of alarm notifications
   to flooding of unwanted alarm notifications from the netowrk.

  with this text:

   Setting these objects may have disruptive effects on network
   operation that range from omission of alarm notifications to
   flooding of unwanted alarm notifications from the network.
   The consequence of suppressing or deferring the reporting
   of an alarm can prevent the timely delivery of important
   diagnostic information, including information that can help
   identify an attack.

5.Please add page numbers to Table of Contents

Thanks,
Bert

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:56:10 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Disman (E-mail) (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 9:31 AM
> Subject: [Disman] IESG has approved condition MIB
>

> IESG secretariat in the next few days.

Congratulations to everyone who has helped in getting this far!
This is taken longer than any of us would have liked, but will be
a bit of good news to include in the SG4 liaison.

> We have added these RFC-Editor notes:
...

Kam, when AUTH48 rolls around, please check to ensure
that nothing was broken by the application of these notes.

Randy

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:56:10 -0700

Hi -

...

Randy