Subject: RE: [Disman] LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr in draft-ietf-disman-al arm-mib-15.txt

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:41:59 -0400

Hi

The following is the proposed resolution to Randy-74-4. Assuming no
objection, this item will is closed with no changes to the draft.

I don't get your issue with the word instantiate
(http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=instantiate). Textual
conventions are abstract. When we use them in object definitions they are
concrete.

The 'Local' refers to where the alarm originated. So on a distributed
manager, there could potentially be different engine IDs. This is explained
in the instantiation of the TC.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 11:18 PM
To: Disman (E-mail)
Subject: [Disman] LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr in
draft-ietf-disman-alarm-mib-15.txt

Hi -

> From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Disman (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>; "Randy Presuhn" 
> <[email-masked]>; "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)"
<[email-masked]>
> Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 7:34 AM
> Subject: [Disman] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-disman-alarm-mib-14.txt
...
> 44) page 15 (LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr): where the DESCRIPTION
>     talks about "instantiation" doesn't make sense.  I think it's
>     referring to use of the TC in an OBJECT-TYPE definition, rather
>     than object instantiation.
>
> Sharon -> This seems more a wordsmith thing.
...

The DESCRIPTION still doesn't make sense.  It currently says:
               "An SNMP Engine ID or a zero-length string. The
               instantiation of this object will provide guidance
               on when this will be an SNMP Engine ID and when it
               will be a zero lengths string"

This is a TC definition, so "instantiation of this object will provide
guidance" makes no sense at all to me.  In both cases where this TC is used,
the conditions for a zero-length string value are the same: either the
notification came from a protocol (SNMPv1 is not the only one! don't forget
SNMPv2c) which doesn't use SNMP Engine ID, or all entries in the table
currently have the same Engine ID.  (I guess that means that when one
arrives from some other engine, all these objects' values will change from
zero-length string back to their "real" values.  Am I the only person
bothered by this?)

Randy

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:41:59 -0400

Hi

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 11:18 PM
To: Disman (E-mail)
Subject: [Disman] LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr in

Hi -

<[email-masked]>
...
...

Randy

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:44:29 -0400

Hi

Oops.  Make that Randy-44.

Sharon
-----Original Message-----
From: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH] 
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 3:42 PM
To: 'Disman (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [Disman] LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr in

Hi

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 11:18 PM
To: Disman (E-mail)
Subject: [Disman] LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr in

Hi -

<[email-masked]>
...
...

Randy

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:39:27 -0400

Hi

The following is the proposed resolution to Randy-44  Assuming no objection,
this item will be considered closed conditional on the proposed edit being
done.

In the ALARM-MIB, replace

"   LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
       STATUS current
       DESCRIPTION
               "An SNMP Engine ID or a zero-length string. The
               instantiation of this object will provide guidance
               on when this will be an SNMP Engine ID and when it
               will be a zero lengths string"
       SYNTAX         OCTET STRING (SIZE(0 | 5..32))"

With

"   -- LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr is intended to be a general 
    -- textual convention that can be used outside of the set of 
    -- MIBs related to Alarm Management.

   LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
       STATUS current
       DESCRIPTION
               "An SNMP Engine ID or a zero-length string. The
               instantiation of this textual convention will provide 
               guidance on when this will be an SNMP Engine ID and 
               when it will be a zero lengths string"
       SYNTAX         OCTET STRING (SIZE(0 | 5..32))"

And in the description of alarmActiveEngineID replace

"         "The identification of the SNMP engine at which the alarm
          originated.
          If the alarm list can contain alarms from only one
          engine or the alarm is from an SNMPv1 system, this object is
          a zero length string."

With

"         "The identification of the SNMP engine at which the alarm
          originated.
          If the alarm is from an SNMPv1 system this object is
          a zero length string."

And in the description of alarmClearEngineID replace          

"          The identification of the SNMP engine at which the alarm
          originated.
          If the alarm list can contain Notifications from only one
          engine or the trap is from an SNMPv1 system, this object is
          a zero length string."
With

"          The identification of the SNMP engine at which the alarm
          originated.
          If the alarm is from an SNMPv1 system this object is
          a zero length string."

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 11:59 PM
To: Disman (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Disman] LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr in

Hi -

> Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 12:44 PM

...
> conventions are abstract. When we use them in object definitions they 
> are concrete.

It talks about  "instantiation of this object".  In a TC definition, what
could "this object" possibly refer to?

Again, in all the cases where the TC is used, the conditions for zero length
are the same, so why not simply factor that commonality back into the TC
definition, and get rid of the indirection?

> manager, there could potentially be different engine IDs. This is 
> explained in the instantiation of the TC.

But as these are presently written, it sounds like the value has to be
zero-length string until it has received things with different engineIDs.
I'm sure that's not what's intended.

> guidance" makes no sense at all to me.  In both cases where this TC is 
> used, the conditions for a zero-length string value are the same: 
> either the notification came from a protocol (SNMPv1 is not the only 
> one! don't forget

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:39:27 -0400

Hi

With

With

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 11:59 PM
To: Disman (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Disman] LocalSnmpEngineOrZeroLenStr in

Hi -

...