Subject: RE: [Disman] draft-ietf-disman-conditionmib

From: "Lam, Hing-Kam (Kam)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:43:49 -0400

Okay. Consolidate the ARC state definition and transition into the 
DESCRIPTION clause of the arcState object as follow.
Thanks.

Regards,
Kam

----------Start------
Replace DESCRIPTION clause of arcTable with:

  DESCRIPTION
    "A table of Alarm Reporting Control (ARC) settings on the system.

     Alarm Reporting Control is a feature that provides an automatic 
     in-service provisioning capability.  Alarm reporting is turned 
     off on a per-resource basis for a selective set of potential  
     alarm conditions to allow sufficient time for customer testing 
     and other maintenance activities in an 'alarm free' state.
     Once a resource is ready for service, alarm reporting is 
     automatically or manually turned on. 

     Functional description and requirements of Alarm Reporting
     Control are defined in ITU-T Recommendation M.3100 Amendment 3 
     [M.3100 Amd3]."

Replace DESCRIPTION clause of arcState with:

  DESCRIPTION
    "Defined in M.3100 Amendment 3 [M.3100 Amd3], there are five 
     ARC states: alm, nalm, nalmQI, nalmQICD, and nalmTI.
        
        alm:        Alarm reporting is turned on (i.e., is allowed).
        nalm:       Alarm reporting is turned off (i.e., not allowed).
        nalmQI:     nalm - Qualified Inhibit. Alarm reporting is 
                    turned off until the managed entity is qualified 
                    problem-free for an optional persistence interval.
                    Problem-free means that the condition corresponding
                    to the specified alarm type is cleared. 
        nalmQICD:   nalmQI - Count down.  This is a substate of nalmQI 
                    and performs the persistence timing countdown 
                    function after the managed entity is qualified 
                    problem-free.
        nalmTI:     nalm - Timed Inhibit.  Alarm reporting is turned 
                    off for a specified time interval. 

     alm may transition to nalm, nalmQI or nalmTI by management request.

     nalm may transition to alm, nalmQI or nalmTI by management request.

     nalmQI may transition to nalm or alm by management request.

     nalmQI may transition to alm automatically 
             if qualified problem-free (if nalmQICD is not supported) or
             if the CD timer expired (if nalmQICD is supported)

     nalmTI may transition to alm or nalm by management request.

     nalmTI may transition to alm automatically if the TI timer expired.

     Further details of ARC state transitions are defined in Figure 3 
     of M.3100 Amd3 [M.3100 Amd3].

     According to the requirements in M.3100 Amd3, a resource 
     supporting the ARC feature shall support the alm state and at 
     least one of the nalm, nalmTI, and nalmQI states. The nalmQICD 
     state is an optional substate of nalmQI.

     The arcState object controls the alarm reporting state of a 
     resource. Note that the state alm (alarm reporting is allowed) is 
     not listed in the enumeration of the value of this object.  However, 
     this state is implicitly supported by the mib.
     Once a resource enters the normal reporting mode (i.e., in the alm 
     state) for the specified alarm type, the corresponding
     row will be automatically deleted from the arc table.
     Also the manual setting of arcState to alm can be achieved through
     setting the RowStatus object to 'destroy'. 

     The nalamQICD state is a transitional state from nalmQI to alm.  It
     is optional depending on the resource type and the implementation 
     of the the resource.  If it is supported, before the state 
     transitions from nalmQI to alm, a count down period is activated 
     for a duration set by the object arcNalmCDTimeInterval.  When the 
     time is up, the arcState transitions to alm."

--------End----------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Wijnen, Bert (Bert) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 7:46 PM
> To: Disman (E-mail) (E-mail)
> Subject: [Disman] draft-ietf-disman-conditionmib
> 
> 
> Here is another comment from an IESG member:
> 
> > There are two semi-redundant descriptions of the values
> > for ARC state -- one in the description of the arcTable
> > object, and the other in the description of arcState.
> > They don't seem to conflict, but it would be clearer if
> > they were combined in one location.
> 
> Do we think it makes sense to remove some (redundant) text?
> If so, pls suggest which piece to remove. Best in the form
> of:  
> 
> Replace DESCRIPTION clause of xxx with:
> 
> Thanks,
> Bert 
>