Subject: [Disman] changes to ping MIB conformance material

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:58:35 -0700

Hi -

Merging in another implementation report on the DISMAN-PING-MIB
module has left me wondering whether it was a good idea to remove
the pingCompliance and pingGroup OBJECT-GROUP.  I find that I
have to go back to RFC 2925 to make sense of implementation reports,
and that when someone says they implement the pingGroup, that
has no meaning in terms of the current i-d.  This doesn't seem right.
Comments?

Randy

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:36:27 +0200

> has no meaning in terms of the current i-d.  This doesn't seem right.

FWIW, smidiff flags the removal as serious errors:

DISMAN-PING-MIB:1118 [1] group `pingGroup' has been deleted
DISMAN-PING-MIB:1163 [1] group `pingTimeStampGroup' has been deleted
DISMAN-PING-MIB:1017 [1] compliance `pingCompliance' has been deleted

You can deprecate or obsolete things, but not remove things since other
definitions might depend on things (e.g. agent capability statements).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany