Subject: [Disman] Event MIB object handling

From: Dave Shield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:08:50 +0000

I've got another question relating to the Event-MIB, in particular
the handling of the objects to be added to a notification payload.

Should the objects listed in the mteObjectsTable cover *all*
the varbinds for a particular notification, or just the "extra"
ones not included in the NOTIFICATION-TYPE definition (with those
being inserted automatically) ?

I've been assuming that this table should list everything
(since the agent might not have access to the MIB definition).
In which case I'm a little puzzled about the order in which
the three mte{Trigger,TriggerXxx,EventNotification}Objects
tags are applied.

Naively, I'd expect that the mandatory notification objects
would be closely linked with the notification itself, and hence
be specified via the mteEventNotificationObjects tag, with the
two trigger tags being used to add extra non-standard varbinds.
Which would imply that the mteENObjects tag would have to be
applied first.  And there's a note in the archives from Mike
Daniele (<[email-masked]> dated 02 Dec 1998)
commenting on draft #05 which seems to suggest the same thing.

  But draft #06 introduces text in the mteObjectsIndex
description which says:

   Groups are placed in the notification in the order of the
   selections for overall trigger, trigger test, and event.

and this seems to have remained the same through into RFC
2981 and the latest IDraft.  But I wasn't able to find an
explanation of why this particular order was used, or any
further discussion of this.

Am I missing something obvious?

Dave