Subject: [Disman] Some editorial proposals for draft-ietf-disman-event-mib-v2-04.txt

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:00:49 +0200

Dear all,

The draft is expired, so ... 
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-disman-event-mib-v2-04.txt

Here are three (minor) editorial proposals I would like to insert

1. Section 3. Relationship to Other MIBs

   "Event MIB triggers maintain the RMON handling of thresholds and add the concept
   of booleans."

I would propose:
   "Event MIB triggers maintain the RMON handling of thresholds and add the concept
   of booleans and existence."
AFAIK, RMON doesn't have the concept of "existence"

2. Section 4.  MIB Sections

   "The MIB has four sections: triggers, objects, events, and
   notifications.  Triggers define the conditions that lead to events.
   Events may cause notifications."

I would propose:
   "The MIB has four sections: triggers, objects, events, and
   notifications.  Triggers define the conditions that lead to events.
   Events may cause notifications and/or may set a MIB object."

3. The MIB is full of mte*. I think the meaning of it is somehow hidden in the MIB:
-- Management Triggered Event (MTE) objects

I would propose to modify the MIB description from :
    DESCRIPTION
     "The MIB module for defining event triggers and actions
     for network management purposes.
To:
    DESCRIPTION
     "The MIB module for defining Managed Triggered Event (MTE) and actions
     for network management purposes.

Any objections?

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:03:38 -0700

Hi -

(as a technical contributor)

> From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Disman (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 2:00 PM
> Subject: [Disman] Some editorial proposals fordraft-ietf-disman-event-mib-v2-04.txt
...
> AFAIK, RMON doesn't have the concept of "existence"

I don't think we need this.
See the first paragraph of RFC 2021's definition of TimeFilter.

>    Events may cause notifications and/or may set a MIB object."

Ok, but "and/or" is an abomination.  Also, why is "object" in the singular while
"notifications" is plural?

>      for network management purposes.

This seems helpful.

> Regards, Benoit.

Randy

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:16:15 +0200

Hi Randy,

>See the first paragraph of RFC 2021's definition of TimeFilter.
Right, but whenever we referred to "RMON handling of thresholds", I 
thought we were referring to the RMON event/alarm (RFC2819), which 
doesn't have the notion of existence?

>Ok, but "and/or" is an abomination.  
>
ok.

>Also, why is "object" in the singular while
Corrected.

New proposal: Triggers define the conditions that lead to events.  
Events may cause notifications, may set MIB objects, or both.
Is this better?

Thanks for your comment.

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:18:49 -0700

Hi -

> To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "Disman (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 4:16 PM
> Subject: Re: [Disman] Some editorialproposals fordraft-ietf-disman-event-mib-v2-04.txt
...
> doesn't have the notion of existence?

I don't know.  I don't feel strongly about this text.

...
...

Much.

Randy