Subject: [Diversity] Attracting people from under-represented regions into the IETF

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 23:53:05 -0700

Hello,

Here is version -02 of the draft about attracting people from 
under-represented regions into the IETF.  Most of the changes are in 
response to the review from Dave Crocker.  The wording for two the 
criteria (Section 4.1) has been changed.  I used the term 
"under-represented" instead of "emerging" regions.

There are some worthwhile suggestions at 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/diversity/current/msg00386.html 
I left some of them out to try and keep the scope as narrow as possible.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Arturo Servin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 15:07:18 -0200

Hi,

    Shouldn't this draft have a title "Improving the ISOC Fellowship
programme to Attracting people from under-represented regions into the
IETF"?

    I like the draft, but I think it is to tied to the ISOC fellowship
to give a clear direction to improve participation of under-represented
regions to the IETF in general.

    My suggestion is to change the title or re-write it to be more generic.

Regards,
as

On 10/9/13 4:53 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/diversity/current/msg00386.html I
> left some of them out to try and keep the scope as narrow as possible.
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> diversity mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diversity

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 05:09:22 +0000

Fully agree with Arturo.

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 03:00:03 -0700

Hi Arturo,
At 10:07 09-10-2013, Arturo Servin wrote:
>     Shouldn't this draft have a title "Improving the ISOC 
> Fellowship programme to Attracting people from under-represented 
> regions into the IETF"?
>
>     I like the draft, but I think it is to tied to the ISOC 
> fellowship to give a clear direction to improve participation of 
> under-represented regions to the IETF in general.
>

I'll follow your suggestion and rewrite the title as:

   "Improving the ISOC Fellowship programme to attract people from
    under-represented regions into the IETF"

I'll post the draft to [email-masked].  If there isn't consensus on 
that mailing list it is unlikely that the suggestions in the draft 
will be accepted within the IETF.  If anyone has concerns about what 
is in the draft I suggest raising them on the [email-masked] mailing list.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Arturo Servin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:30:47 -0200

Good, looking forward to it. And thanks for taking the time to write
the draft.

Regards,
as
On 10/10/13 8:00 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
>> programme to Attracting people from under-represented regions into
>> the IETF"?
>>

---

From: Steve Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 16:29:59 +0000

SM,

As the others have stated, thanks for taking the time to look at the ISOC
Fellowship to the IETF programme.  As a 5+ times awardee of the
fellowship, you have the ability to see the value of the programme
directly.

I'm struggling with the title that has been suggested: "Improving the ISOC
Fellowship programme to attract people from under-represented regions into
the IETF".

This draft is more about suggesting ways in which ISOC should change the
programme to be more restrictive rather than finding ways to attract more
applicants.  The suggestions in the draft reflect changes in selection
criteria of applicants and the make-up of the selection committee.  These
suggestions speak to increasing the quality of the applicant (which ISOC
is already doing) and not about attracting more people.

As I mentioned in a previous mail, the fellowship programme is only one
piece of the overall ISOC strategy to increase awareness and participation
in the IETF.  By looking only at the granularity of the fellowship
programme, it is missing the other methods in which ISOC works towards
attracting people to participate in the IETF.

Finally, what will be the end result of this draft?  Will the IETF submit
this to ISOC as recommendations for consideration?  There are certainly
some ideas within the draft that would be considered, but in the end, this
is an ISOC programme and final decisions on how it's run remain within
ISOC.

Thanks,

Steve

-----
Steve Conte
Internet Leadership Programme
The Internet Society
[email-masked]

---

From: Juliao Braga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:15:22 -0300

SM,

There is a question, which seems to have been commented upon "an
passant" in this list: how to increase the participation of people in
the IETF meetings.

My view is that the local chapters of the ISOC could help a lot. I will
cite an example from Brazil. The CGI.br (Brazilian Internet Steering
Comitee) is proposing to offer five felloships for Brazilians
participate in IETF meetings . Well, the Brazilian chapter of ISOC could
attend to expedite this propose (coincidentally, the chair of the
Brazilian chapter of ISOC is a member of CGI), and look for other one's.

This is also a good participatory job for the chapters, i.e. prospecting
grants to increase participation in the IETF meetings, as there are many
resources available in public and private institutions of a country. All
chapter of ISOC in Latin America could work together for the LACNIC
allocate (for example) a small annual quota of participation of people
from Latin America. And so also in other countries.

Another thing to think about is the allocation of these resources to the
ISOC, which already has skills in distribute fellowships.

Regards,

Juliao

Em 10/10/2013 13:29, Steve Conte escreveu:
> Fellowship to the IETF programme.

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:10:41 -0700

Hi Steve,
>fellowship, you have the ability to see the value of the programme

Ok.

>Fellowship programme to attract people from under-represented regions into

I suggest raising that as a concern on the [email-masked] mailing 
list.  Arturo Servin suggested the title and Lars Eggert agreed with 
the comments.

>attracting people to participate in the IETF.

I suggest raising the above as a concern on the [email-masked] mailing list.

>is an ISOC programme and final decisions on how it's run remain within

I don't know what the end result of the draft will be.  I don't know 
what the IETF will do with the draft.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:35:59 -0700

Hi Juliao,
>Brazilian chapter of ISOC is a member of CGI), and look for other one's.

This is a good initiative.  I hope that the discussion about the 
draft can be of help to CGI.br.

>from Latin America. And so also in other countries.

Arturo is subscribed to this mailing list.  He may be able to comment 
about the LACNIC side.

It helps if someone can explain what the problems are and suggest 
some practical action.  For example, getting grants might be related 
to the problem of academic participation in the IETF.  If the IETF 
Community is convinced that what is being suggested is practical, it 
can be easier to get help from the IETF side.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Arturo Servin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 23:12:41 -0200

Can't say too much as we do not have a position to support
scholarships for people to go to the IETF. What I can certainly say is
that from LACNIC we are supporting other initiatives to encourage people
to participate in the IETF.

    One of those is partnership with LACNOG to promote IETF work in the
region in several in our events and with a Task Foce
([email-masked]). Another very specific was to arrange a visit to
the university to speak with students when Jari Arkko and Russ Housley
visited Montevideo. Also, if an IETF is organized in Latin America, be
sure that we would do our best to support a variety of efforts.

Regards,
as

On 10/10/13 5:35 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> This is a good initiative.  I hope that the discussion about the draft
> can be of help to CGI.br.
>
> It helps if someone can explain what the problems are and suggest some
> practical action.  For example, getting grants might be related to the
> problem of academic participation in the IETF.  If the IETF Community
> is convinced that what is being suggested is practical, it can be
> easier to get help from the IETF side.

---

From: Adiel Akplogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 23:33:11 +0400

As I already mentioned in one of my previous mail, I think it will be good (and better) to widen the scope of this kind of draft to address general issue and set general guideline (not focus just one initiative which is ISOC fellowship). At AFRINIC we also have some regional initiatives to support participation to IETF we have created back in 2006 an IETF fellowship through which we have sent 2 people selected from the community to the IETF, but unfortunately it has not produced the result we expected. We focus our effort right now on raising awareness within students and universities and our own staff. That being said we are very keen to do more and revive an improved felowship program. A draft like this can be of interest to our fellowship program team.

- a.

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 12:41:03 +0200

Hi Adiel,

I support your input as well. The fellowship program need to know what
IETF thinks about them. The change of the title of the draft is not a
good idea, and the solution of the attraction of regions is not only
fellowship. The draft has good points or intentions but not having
real case studies, I think your real example will help to be added to
the weak fellowship impact of attracting new comers from unaware
regions.

AB

On 10/11/13, Adiel Akplogan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> As I already mentioned in one of my previous mail, I think it will be good
> (and better) to widen the scope of this kind of draft to address general
> issue and set general guideline (not focus just one initiative which is ISOC
> fellowship). At AFRINIC we also have some regional initiatives to support
> participation to IETF we have created back in 2006 an IETF fellowship
> through which we have sent 2 people selected from the community to the IETF,
> but unfortunately it has not produced the result we expected. We focus our
> effort right now on raising awareness within students and universities and
> our own staff. That being said we are very keen to do more and revive an
> improved felowship program. A draft like this can be of interest to our
> fellowship program team.
>
> - a.

---

From: Arturo Servin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:43:27 -0200

Adiel,

    I think that is the idea, to produce a draft addressing general issues.

    However we are still gathering ideas, problems, solutions, etc.

    AFAIK we do not have a timeline or milestones yet (may be Suresh or
Kathleen may clarify) but we are advancing little by little.

/as