Subject: Re: [Diversity] ISOC fellowship - Attracting new people and work into the IETF

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 10:36:19 -0500

On 9/25/2013 8:35 AM, Moriarty, Kathleen wrote:
> Time zones are really difficult.  If we have remote groups gathering, what if they went through a eerie of recorded sessions post-meeting in their own time zone?  This might be possible with an area focused local chapter.  We could start local chapters and advertise the meeting (if we ran an experiment) through social media or related organized groups for the target audience.  I think this would require a volunteer facilitator in the room that can help people get up-to-speed on participating.  They also have to feel comfortable to participate (feedback on a draft, asking questions on a list, participating in a poll, etc.).

I've been meaning to follow up on this for more than a month, and now 
have two minutes to do so.

"Recorded sessions post-meeting in your time zone" isn't WRONG, 
especially if there's a volunteer coordinator (whether in the room or 
not), and especially to get started. So, after the first step, I'm 
wondering what a next step might be.

Kathleen, et al, would you think the next step would be people attending 
remotely in the middle of the night, or doing a pre-meeting in the local 
time zone, or something else I'm not thinking of?

Spencer

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:15:02 -0700

Hi Spencer,
At 08:36 29-10-2013, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>Kathleen, et al, would you think the next step would be people 
>attending remotely in the middle of the night, or doing a 
>pre-meeting in the local time zone, or something else I'm not thinking of?

It is a matter of what the IETF wants to achieve.  Does it want 
participation or attendance?  Please note that the question is not 
addressed to you.

My uninformed suggestion would be to favor local time zone.  It is 
not possible to say much about next steps as there aren't any 
resources available.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy