Subject: [dix] DIX BOF Agenda

From: John Merrells <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:26:14 -0800

I'm putting together a more detailed agenda for the DIX BOF and would  
like to solicit your participation.
One area of obvious interest to all is existing technologies and  
standards that apply to this space.
Some possibilities, in no particular order...

SAML, Liberty Alliance, Shibboleth, YADIS, LID, OpenID, WS-Trust,  
Infocard/Metasystm,
Higgins, LDAP, RADIUS/DIAMETER, PKIX, SIP/Identity, SXIP(dmd0)...  
Others?

I think they've all been mentioned on this list over the past few  
months. I'd like people to
step forward and offer to present details they feel are relevant to  
this effort.

John

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:34:54 -0800

> step forward and offer to present details they feel are relevant to

Hmm.... This seems like an awful lot of material. It's a 150 minute
session, and you've listed 14 different technologies. It's traditional
to leave at least a third of the time for open discussion and so this
leaves what, 7 minutes per technology? I'm not sure how useful that
would be. My sense is that while there are a lot of different
protocols in this space, there are only a few basic architectures.
So, hearing about all the protocol details isn't really that
illuminating.

I would encourage you to focus on high level requirements and
architecture rather than having a bunch of presentations on specific
technologies. This lets people focus on what's important (the
trust/threat model and dataflow) rather than on the bits on the
wire--which aren't really that important at this stage of the game.
It also avoids having a bunch of presentations which say in essence
"my protocol is just like protocol X except that it's written in XML
rather than ASN.1".

With that in mind, I would suggest something along the following
lines:

Time   Topic
-----------------------------------------------
10     Agenda bash
10     Motivating application 1   
10     Motivating application 2   
40     Overall requirements/goals 
20     Survey of architectural options 
10     Example protocol 1              
10     Example protocol 2              
10     Example protocol 3              
30     Discussion (Charter?)             

-Ekr