Subject: [dix] WG scope?

From: Dick Hardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:52:02 -0600

Robert Yates comments have prompted me to provide this rough, but  
concise scope definition:

1) A programatic method for a service to request identity data from a  
user and the user to provide that identity data, and only that  
identity data, to the service. Initially, the service is a web server  
and the protocol for moving the data is HTTP/HTTPS.

2) A method for any party to independently create new schema for  
representing identity data.

-- Dick

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix

---

From: Robert Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:17:52 -0500

> and the protocol for moving the data is HTTP/HTTPS.

-1. I think it premature to rule out the possibility of any "pull" 
approach in DIX.  IMO the working group needs to have the flexibility to 
examine the use cases in this space and determine if there are some of 
significant importance that require a "pull" approach.  I would advocate 
that we stick with the text in the current DIX charter.

"To specify a protocol for moving identity information between parties, 
and a system architecture that enables the development of software 
agents to manage this exchange."

Rob