Subject: RE: Various User Agent Support (was: Re: [dix] DIX use cases)

From: "David Recordon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:10:28 -0500

We're currently using OpenID to login to our installation of Request
Tracker and want to extend this to our version control as well.  While
the idea of a proxy will certainly work, it also isn't meant to replace
machine <-> machine authentication with OpenID.  I know various people
are working on things like this, so you can do fun things like
authenticate to a WebDAV server using OpenID.

Just as the Simple Registration extension
(http://www.openidenabled.com/openid/simple-registration-extension/)
isn't meant to be the answer to profile exchange with OpenID, this sort
of proxy also isn't the OpenID answer to many of the use cases that have
been brought up on this list.

We do however think there are all sorts of cool things which can be done
with low cost and easy to implement extensions and proxies to OpenID
until there actually is convergence in this space.  Until then,
technologies such as Yadis allow early adopters to choose their
preferred authentication, authorization, profile exchange, reputation,
etc protocols and not have to worry if their choice will be supported by
their favorite app.  I'd much rather put the burden of supporting
multiple protocols on the service providers than make users have five
different identities since we all can't decide on the best way to do
things.

--David

-----Original Message-----
From: Johannes Ernst [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 2:02 PM
To: Digital Identity Exchange
Subject: Re: Various User Agent Support (was: Re: [dix] DIX use cases)

> Can YADIS/LID/OpenID be used to authenticate a WebDAV client to a  
> WebDAV server, for some/most/all of the current typical WebDAV  
> clients and servers?  If so, then you've met the requirement Peter  
> set.

Coincidentally, Brad Fitzpatrick -- the creator of OpenID (and  
LiveJournal) -- just posted on a very related subject just a few days  
ago.

http://brad.livejournal.com/2206769.html

While it is indeed a hack, it would probably work, and applies  
similarly to LID and Yadis.

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix