Subject: RE: [dix] DIX in the extranet

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 05:49:39 -0800

> I agree that making PKI a MUST requirement would probably be 
> a mistake, but if it turns out that enterprises do not allow 
> their intranet servers to access the internet and if making a 
> verify request or retrieving a persona-url renders the 
> homesite vulnerable to a DoS attack then it may be worth 
> considering PKI as an optional part of the specification.

I don't think that the design is far enough advanced to know what
authentication techniques are required, let alone to throw out an entire
class of solutions.

IPSEC uses PKI and there is not a major problem. There are certainly ways in
which PKI can be applied that should prevent this providing more of a denial
of service attack than already exists.

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix

---

From: Robert Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 10:25:17 -0500

>authentication techniques are required, let alone to throw out an entire
I didn't mean to imply that we throw anything out, am just asking if 
others think that there is a DoS vulnerability in the current draft.

Rob