Subject: [DMM] How to cover QoS in draft-ietf-dmm-fpc-cpdp-00

From: Marco Liebsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:31:58 +0000

Folks,

as announced in my previous eMail, please find below a proposal how to address QoS in
draft-ietf-dmm-fpc-cpdp-00.

The draft adopts a model to abstract forwarding and policy configuration for DMM using
logical ports which bind properties. This can be applied at Agents to any Data-Plane Node (DPN)
configuration, routers, network controllers, switches.

Adding QoS properties per port should be in-line with RFC7222 in case of GBR and MBR.
More needs to be considered for aggregates, such as per-MN-AMBR, per-Session-AMBR.
Here, the Control-Plane logic may accomplish configuration of the Data-Plane for an
MN or Session using a single port or multiple ports.

This can be tackled by permitting a Client to bind an AMBR attribute/value to a single port or
to a group of ports. Whether the aggregate applies per-MN or per Session, should be kept
in the application logic and be kept transparent to the Data-Plane.

Information coming with an AMBR attribute needs to comprise a list
of port identifies (PRT_ID) to which the aggregate applies, like:

QOS_AMBR_CONF:
  Aggregate Bitrate  //gives the maximum aggregate value
  List of Port-IDs   //defines the group of ports where metering applies

Please let me know if anything is missing.

marco