Subject: Re: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

From: Do Truong Xuan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 00:19:18 +0900

Dear Seil !

I have some comments on deployment architecture document as follows:

+ In the Figure 1, the authors mentioned about primitive function "NSH
classifier" supported by H-DPA or A-DPN, could you elaborate more how this
service could support DMM.

+ Other service primitive such as IP management, IP anchoring,
mobility controller
deserve more explanation to better understand the DMM functions

+ In Section 4.3, model 3, IMO this is centralized architecture for
signaling and distributed for data plane functions similar to SDN
architecture. However, in description text, authors  wrote "this is a flat
architecture" --> need more elaboration

Some other spelling errors:

+ in Section 3.2.1, homd-dpa --> home-dpa

 + Section 3.2.5, DMM function --> DMM functions
BRs,

---

From: "Seil Jeon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:12:04 +0900

Hi Xuan,

Thanks for your comments.

Please see inline.

Regards,

Seil Jeon

From: Do Truong Xuan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:19 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

Dear Seil !

+ In the Figure 1, the authors mentioned about primitive function "NSH classifier" supported by H-DPA or A-DPN, could you elaborate more how this service could support DMM.

NSH classifiers (for SFC) will at data-plane entities, i.e., DPA and/or DPN, which will be deployed in a distributed manner. 

For the functionality of DPA and DPN in terms of SFC, you can find what context data is maintained by the FPC Agent at 4.3.2.1. and 4.3.2.2. in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmm-fpc-cpdp-08 

+ Other service primitive such as IP management, IP anchoring, mobility controller deserve more explanation to better understand the DMM functions 

IP management means IP address assignment and management. The mobility controller itself is given to call a control entity which can be different depending on the model introduced. In Model-3, we call the combined home-CPA and access-CPN a mobility controller. In the on-demand control plane orchestration mode, it is called an orchestrator of all the mobility-related control-plane and data-plane anchors/nodes.

+ In Section 4.3, model 3, IMO this is centralized architecture for signaling and distributed for data plane functions similar to SDN architecture. However, in description text, authors  wrote "this is a flat architecture" --> need more elaboration

You need to look at the relationship between the access node and home-DPA for the meaning of “flat architecture”. 

Wow! Will be fixed in a next update.

O.K

BRs,

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:58:11 +0000

Dear Seil,
Finally I remembered that I promised a review. I am sorry for the delay!
Overall I think the draft is well written and useful. Thanks!
Some nits have been detected already by Xuan … in addition: ‘seperated’ should be replaced by ‘separated’ and ‘and where as’ by simply ‘whereas’.
I would recommend to give the explicit reference where NSH is mentioned and also introduce the acronyms MC and RC for Mobility and Routing Controller, respectively, to improve readability.
Furthermore I wonder whether MC and RC denoted as DMM functions in the table Figure 1 are not included in the mapping table Figure 2. E.g. I would think in 3GPP they are located at MME-CPA and -CPN …
What do you think?
Thanks!
Best Regards
Dirk

From: dmm [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Seil Jeon
Sent: Mittwoch, 20. September 2017 09:12
To: 'Do Truong Xuan'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

Hi Xuan,

Regards,
Seil Jeon

From: Do Truong Xuan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:19 AM
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

Dear Seil !

O.K

BRs,

---

From: Seil Jeon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:27:19 +0900

Hi Dirk,

Thanks to your useful feeback, making this draft better improve.

See inline, please for my response.

Regards,

Seil Jeon

*From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Thursday, September 21, 2017 12:58 AM
*To:* [email-masked]; [email-masked]
*Cc:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* RE: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

Dear Seil,

[SJ] Thanks, I think Sri (as a WT leader before) did a good job, organizing
and translating various ideas of the WT members into a draft.

Some nits have been detected already by Xuan … in addition: ‘seperated’
should be replaced by ‘separated’ and ‘and where as’ by simply ‘whereas’.

[SJ] Many thanks. We’ll do fix it.

I would recommend to give the explicit reference where NSH is mentioned and
also introduce the acronyms MC and RC for Mobility and Routing Controller,
respectively, to improve readability.

[SJ] Actually, the reference for NSH was given in Terminology, but we’ll do
it again where needed. The extension of MC and RC will be given in a next
update.

Furthermore I wonder whether MC and RC denoted as DMM functions in the
table Figure 1 are not included in the mapping table Figure 2. E.g. I would
think in 3GPP they are located at MME-CPA and -CPN …

What do you think?

[SJ] Looking at the role of mobility management control including the
selection of SGW/PGW by MME, MME (MME-CPA) as well as PGW-CPA will be
mapped to Home-CPA. I think MME-CPA should be enough. Does it make sense to
you?

Thanks!

Best Regards
Dirk

*From:* dmm [mailto:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>] *On Behalf
Of *Seil Jeon
*Sent:* Mittwoch, 20. September 2017 09:12
*To:* 'Do Truong Xuan'
*Cc:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* Re: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

Hi Xuan,

Please see inline.

Regards,

Seil Jeon

*From:* Do Truong Xuan [mailto:[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>]
*Sent:* Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:19 AM
*To:* [email-masked]; [email-masked]
*Subject:* Re: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

Dear Seil !

NSH classifiers (for SFC) will at data-plane entities, i.e., DPA and/or
DPN, which will be deployed in a distributed manner.

For the functionality of DPA and DPN in terms of SFC, you can find what
context data is maintained by the FPC Agent at 4.3.2.1. and 4.3.2.2. in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmm-fpc-cpdp-08

+ Other service primitive such as IP management, IP anchoring,
mobility controller deserve more explanation to better understand the
DMM functions

IP management means IP address assignment and management. The mobility
controller itself is given to call a control entity which can be different
depending on the model introduced. In Model-3, we call the combined
home-CPA and access-CPN a mobility controller. In the on-demand control
plane orchestration mode, it is called an orchestrator of all the
mobility-related control-plane and data-plane anchors/nodes.

You need to look at the relationship between the access node and home-DPA
for the meaning of “flat architecture”.

O.K

BRs,

---

From: Do Truong Xuan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:38:24 +0900

Please see inline,

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Seil Jeon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> *From:* Do Truong Xuan [mailto:[email-masked]]
>  ==> IMO, I don't see any relations between NSH classifiers and mobility
> management
>
>  ==> OK
>  ==> maybe H-DPA and A-DPN are distributed but how about control plane,
> you mean flat arch is only for dataplane
>

-- 

*Truong-Xuan, Do*

PHD Candidate

DCN Lab, Soongsil University

(+82) 10 4473 6869

[email-masked]

---

From: "Seil Jeon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:31:49 +0900

Hi Xuan,

Thanks. Please have a look inline.

Regards,

Seil Jeon

From: Do Truong Xuan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:38 PM
To: Seil Jeon
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

Please see inline, 

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Seil Jeon <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> > wrote:

Hi Xuan,

Please see inline.

Regards,

Seil Jeon

From: Do Truong Xuan [mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:19 AM
To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [DMM] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-deployment-models-01.txt

Dear Seil !

 ==> IMO, I don't see any relations between NSH classifiers and mobility management

[SJ] It was given to describe the functionality of DPA and DPN.  But I see your concern. We’ll address it in a next update.

 ==> OK

 ==> maybe H-DPA and A-DPN are distributed but how about control plane, you mean flat arch is only for dataplane

[SJ] Doesn’t necessarily “only”. But enough to call it.

O.K

BRs,

-- 

Truong-Xuan, Do

PHD Candidate

(+82) 10 4473 6869

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>