Subject: Re: [DMM] New Liaison Statement, "CP-173160: New Study Item on User Plane Protocol in 5GC"

From: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 17:59:52 +0000

Folks - Here is the response in pending state. We are holding for WG
feedback. 

If you have any objections too this, please let us know by 13th of July,
2018.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1586/

Sri

On 7/6/18, 11:25 PM, "dmm on behalf of Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)"
<[email-masked] on behalf of sgundave=[email-masked]>
wrote:

>Hi Arashmid,
>
>Thanks for the feedback.
>
>I have added a link to the DMM WG pages and it has links to all the DMM
>documents. I think that should be OK, we don’t have to explicitly list out
>every single I-D at this stage. As we move forward and based on WG
>discussions/progress, we can provide more detailed feedback on each
>document. I suggest we keep this simple for now.
>
>
>
>> So, what happens next? We wait for their reply?
>
>This is just a response to the LS; more an information exchange on the
>status/progress.
>
>
>
>Regards
>Sri
>
>
>
>
>On 7/6/18, 1:56 PM, "Arashmid Akhavain" <[email-masked]>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi Sri,
>>
>>We might also want to add draft-camarillo-dmm-srv6-mobile-pocs-00
>>under "Related Documents".
>>
>>Also, we might want to say something like:
>>"Although we will NOT pick a particular approach,
>>we will be ready to provide further assistance to 3GPP regarding
>>the technical details of different candidates."
>>
>>So, what happens next? We wait for their reply?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Arashmid
>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: dmm [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sri Gundavelli
>>> (sgundave)
>>> Sent: 06 July 2018 13:49
>>> To: [email-masked]
>>> Subject: Re: [DMM] New Liaison Statement, "CP-173160: New Study Item on
>>> User Plane Protocol in 5GC"
>>> 
>>> We plan to send the following response to 3GPP CT4.  If you have any
>>>quick
>>> comments/corrections/suggestions, please let us know in a day.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ³
>>> Thank you for your Liaison request (Reference: CP-173160) and for
>>>sharing
>>> the information on the status of the CT4 study item on user-plane
>>>protocol
>>> for 5GC. The IETF DMM working group wants to acknowledge your request
>>> and want to share the following update.
>>> 
>>> IETF DMM working is currently reviewing various proposals on approaches
>>> for realizing optimizations in user-plane for mobile packet core. These
>>> proposals include protocol specifications based on new/existing
>>>protocols
>>> and proposals covering requirements/analysis/comparison of various
>>> approaches. At this point of time, some of these documents are working
>>> group documents and some are individual submissions and yet to be
>>> adopted as working group documents.  Based on the working group
>>>interest,
>>> feedback charter-scope, the working group may choose to adopt some of
>>> these work items as working group documents and at that time will seek
>>> feedback from 3GPP.
>>> 
>>> We also would like to state that the DMM working group will not be in a
>>> position to pick a single approach/solution as THE approach for
>>>user-plane
>>> optimization. Most likely the working group may standardize more than
>>>one
>>> approach, but will characterize each of these approaches based on its
>>> technical capabilities and limitations. This approach would be
>>>consistent with
>>> the approach that IETF took with IPv6 transitioning work, where IETF
>>> standardized multiple approaches including DSLite, NAT64, Gi-DSLite and
>>> other approaches.
>>> 
>>> Finally, IETF would like to point 3GPP to the following documents under
>>> consideration.
>>> 
>>> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-bogineni-dmm-optimized-mobile-user-plane-
>>> 01.tx
>>> t (Individual submission)
>>> 
>>> https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-
>>> 00.tx
>>> t (Individual submission)
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Related Documents:
>>> 
>>> 
>>> https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane-02.txt
>>>(Working
>>> group document)
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Link to DMM Pages:
>>> 
>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dmm/documents/
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Please let us know if you need any additional information.
>>> "
>>> 
>>> -----
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On 4/11/18, 11:16 AM, "Liaison Statement Management Tool"
>>> <[email-masked]>
>>> wrote:
>>> 
>>> >Title: CP-173160: New Study Item on User Plane Protocol in 5GC
>>> >Submission Date: 2018-04-11 URL of the IETF Web page:
>>> >https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1572/
>>> >Please reply by 2018-07-20
>>> >From: Satoru Matsushima <[email-masked]>
>>> >To: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>,Dapeng Liu
>>> ><[email-masked]>
>>> >Cc: Dapeng Liu <[email-masked]>,Terry Manderson
>>> ><[email-masked]>,Distributed Mobility Management
>>> Discussion
>>> >List <[email-masked]>,Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>,Suresh
>>> Krishnan
>>> ><[email-masked]> Response Contacts:
>>> >[email-masked],[email-masked]
>>> >Technical Contacts:
>>> >Purpose: For action
>>> >
>>> >Body: 1. Overall Description:
>>> >3GPP working group of CT4 (Core and Terminal) would like to inform the
>>> >IETF that CT4 has initiated a study item on user plane protocol in 5GC
>>> >for Release-16 of 5G phase 2 (see CP-173160).
>>> >
>>> >Based on the outcome from the IETF / 3GPP Coordination meeting at
>>> >IETF#100, 3GPP CT4 got aware that IETF DMM WG is currently working on
>>>a
>>> >possible candidate protocol for the 3GPP 5G user plane protocol.
>>> >
>>> >3GPP CT4 wants to emphasize that currently there is no related
>>> >evaluation ongoing in 3GPP. Nevertheless, a study item was approved
>>>for
>>> >such a study to start in the second half of 2018. The study will
>>> >evaluate between existing solutions within 3GPP and other protocols,
>>> >based on the Release
>>> >16 stage 2 (system architecture) requirements.
>>> >
>>> >3GPP CT4 would like to point IETF DMM to the following specifications
>>> >on GTP-U. The Release 16 stage 2 requirements are not yet known but it
>>> >is worth looking at latest GTP-U spec which will be evaluated through
>>> >the study as the existing protocol.
>>> >
>>> >€	[1] 3GPP TS 29.281 (V15.1.0): GPRS Tunnelling Protocol User Plane
>>> >(GTPv1-U)
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >Following technical report provides information of how 3GPP considered
>>> >GTP-U apply to user plane of 5G_ph1:
>>> >
>>> >€	[2] 3GPP TR 29.891 (V15.0.0): 5G System  Phase 1; CT4 Aspects
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >Furthermore, 3GPP would like to give the following general guidance to
>>> >IETF DMM, regarding user plane transport within 3GPP networks. These
>>> >are technical specifications that include also the necessary
>>> >information to understand which architectural, QoS, security-related
>>> >and high-level requirements GTP-U currently complies to within 5G_ph1.
>>> >
>>> >€	[3] 3GPP TS 23.501 (V15.0.0): System Architecture for the 5G System
>>> >€	[4] 3GPP TS 23.502 (V15.0.0): Procedures for the 5G System
>>> >€	[5] 3GPP TS 23.503 (V15.0.0): Policy and Charging Framework for the
>>> 5G
>>> >System
>>> >€	[6] 3GPP TS 33.501 (V0.6.0): Security Architecture (work in
>>>progress)
>>> >
>>> >2. Actions:
>>> >To IETF DMM:
>>> >ACTION: 	CT4 respectfully asks IETF DMM to provide any information
>>> that
>>> >may be relevant to the above CT4 work by July 2018.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >3. Date of Next CT and CT4 Meetings:
>>> >CT4#83	26th Feb  2nd Mar 2018	Montreal, CAN
>>> >CT#79	19th  20th Mar 2018	Chennai, India
>>> >CT4#84	16th  20th April 2018	Kunming, China
>>> >CT4#85	21st  25th May 2018	Osaka, Japan
>>> >CT#80	11th  12th June 2018	La Jolla, USA
>>> >CT4#85-bis	  9th 13th July 2018	TBD, France
>>> >CT4#86	20st  24th Aug 2018	TBD, USA
>>> >Attachments:
>>> >
>>> >    CP-180116
>>> >
>>> 
>>>>https://www.ietf.org/lib/dt/documents/LIAISON/liaison-2018-04-11-3gpp-t
>>> >sgc
>>> 
>>>>t-ct4-dmm-cp-173160-new-study-item-on-user-plane-protocol-in-5gc-attach
>>> >men
>>> >t-1.doc
>>> >
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> dmm mailing list
>>> [email-masked]
>>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm
>
>_______________________________________________
>dmm mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm

---

From: "Bogineni, Kalyani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 19:18:25 +0000

Sri:

The LS response is fine as it reflects the status of the work in IETF. 

I am not sure when you plan to send the LS response since you requested feedback by July 13th.

FYI, The next CT4 meeting is from July 9-13th as seen from the attached meeting Invitation.

Attached is the meeting agenda - Input LSs will be processed on Monday July 9th from 9:00 - 11:30 AM.

Regards, 
Kalyani

-----Original Message-----
From: dmm [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 2:00 PM
To: Arashmid Akhavain <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: [E] Re: [DMM] New Liaison Statement, "CP-173160: New Study Item on User Plane Protocol in 5GC"

Folks - Here is the response in pending state. We are holding for WG feedback. 

If you have any objections too this, please let us know by 13th of July, 2018.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_liaison_1586_&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=77-_DB88Sb27VyXuBt7_1OKS1QMBOTs_A_Ln-pGFsYc&e=

Sri

wrote:

>documents. I think that should be OK, we don’t have to explicitly list 
>out every single I-D at this stage. As we move forward and based on WG 
>>"Although we will NOT pick a particular approach, we will be ready to 
>>provide further assistance to 3GPP regarding the technical details of 
>>different candidates."
>>
>>> Subject: Re: [DMM] New Liaison Statement, "CP-173160: New Study Item 
>>> on User Plane Protocol in 5GC"
>>> 
>>>quick  comments/corrections/suggestions, please let us know in a day.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ³
>>>sharing  the information on the status of the CT4 study item on 
>>>user-plane protocol  for 5GC. The IETF DMM working group wants to 
>>>acknowledge your request  and want to share the following update.
>>> 
>>> IETF DMM working is currently reviewing various proposals on 
>>>approaches  for realizing optimizations in user-plane for mobile 
>>>packet core. These  proposals include protocol specifications based 
>>>on new/existing protocols  and proposals covering 
>>>requirements/analysis/comparison of various  approaches. At this 
>>>point of time, some of these documents are working  group documents 
>>>and some are individual submissions and yet to be  adopted as working 
>>>group documents.  Based on the working group interest,  feedback 
>>>charter-scope, the working group may choose to adopt some of  these 
>>>work items as working group documents and at that time will seek  
>>>feedback from 3GPP.
>>> 
>>> We also would like to state that the DMM working group will not be 
>>>in a  position to pick a single approach/solution as THE approach for 
>>>user-plane  optimization. Most likely the working group may 
>>>standardize more than one  approach, but will characterize each of 
>>>these approaches based on its  technical capabilities and 
>>>limitations. This approach would be consistent with  the approach 
>>>that IETF took with IPv6 transitioning work, where IETF  standardized 
>>>multiple approaches including DSLite, NAT64, Gi-DSLite and  other 
>>>approaches.
>>> 
>>> Finally, IETF would like to point 3GPP to the following documents 
>>> under consideration.
>>> 
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ietf.org_id_
>>> draft-2Dbogineni-2Ddmm-2Doptimized-2Dmobile-2Duser-2Dplane-2D&d=DwIG
>>> aQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGg
>>> d9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf
>>> 4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=PZVdEP1rEzF40-JWBzGaYGXXFIA-J6E8VNrtCU-L
>>> Xeo&e=
>>> 01.tx
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_in
>>> ternet-2Ddrafts_draft-2Dhmm-2Ddmm-2D5g-2Duplane-2Danalysis-2D&d=DwIG
>>> aQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGg
>>> d9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf
>>> 4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=RFXqAJd7ktCOVPOxjgWrfpkrKG_wABrZA2gvpH6P
>>> 22Y&e=
>>> 00.tx
>>>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_id_
>>>draft-2Dietf-2Ddmm-2Dsrv6-2Dmobile-2Duplane-2D02.txt&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTR
>>>vFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKg
>>>Kcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0y
>>>gd_lgk8PE1o24&s=PSzx-NfxacXnnIu0yifXWiDz7-t6PqPY-paV4DNwxOw&e=
>>>(Working
>>> group document)
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Link to DMM Pages:
>>> 
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.iet
>>> f.org_wg_dmm_documents_&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb
>>> 6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYE
>>> TcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=f3434N55x1
>>> rC9NVSdFiUTjzhwsBJPkdtpy8a_vIRVcQ&e=
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> >https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ie
>>> >tf.org_liaison_1572_&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6_
>>> >_0PomBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYET
>>> >cBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=Y5tfX_Bnem
>>> >dhocQwO2YoxurotS34WWP7G_RHmWTrl-4&e=
>>> >3GPP working group of CT4 (Core and Terminal) would like to inform 
>>> >the IETF that CT4 has initiated a study item on user plane protocol 
>>> >in 5GC for Release-16 of 5G phase 2 (see CP-173160).
>>> >
>>> >evaluate between existing solutions within 3GPP and other 
>>> >protocols, based on the Release
>>> >3GPP CT4 would like to point IETF DMM to the following 
>>> >specifications on GTP-U. The Release 16 stage 2 requirements are 
>>> >not yet known but it is worth looking at latest GTP-U spec which 
>>> >will be evaluated through the study as the existing protocol.
>>> >
>>> >Following technical report provides information of how 3GPP 
>>> >considered GTP-U apply to user plane of 5G_ph1:
>>> >
>>> >Furthermore, 3GPP would like to give the following general guidance 
>>> >to IETF DMM, regarding user plane transport within 3GPP networks. 
>>> >These are technical specifications that include also the necessary 
>>> >information to understand which architectural, QoS, 
>>> >security-related and high-level requirements GTP-U currently complies to within 5G_ph1.
>>> >
>>>>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_li
>>>>b_dt_documents_LIAISON_liaison-2D2018-2D04-2D11-2D3gpp-2Dt&d=DwIGaQ&
>>>>c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGgd9M
>>>>znLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf4jt
>>>>PJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=eFXZksriT8I7oyQ2VdYY02soc1SdM7QLI7EJK4O8mdU
>>>>&e=
>>> >sgc
>>> 
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_ma
>>> ilman_listinfo_dmm&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0P
>>> omBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcByn
>>> UdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=YrIr5CHJMjB2j4e
>>> bFkCLy_9NwWmV0lQpHiSgLUeFJTI&e=
>
>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailm
>an_listinfo_dmm&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&
>r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qx
>XTZYI7pMD_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=YrIr5CHJMjB2j4ebFkCLy_9NwWm
>V0lQpHiSgLUeFJTI&e=

_______________________________________________
dmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_dmm&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiSODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=YrIr5CHJMjB2j4ebFkCLy_9NwWmV0lQpHiSgLUeFJTI&e=

---

From: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 19:54:47 +0000

Hi Kalyani,

Thanks for the feedback.

Looking at the LS, I see the deadline as July 20th. Is that a mistake?
Unfortunately, we were going by the date listed in the LS.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_l
iaison_1572_&d=DwIFAg&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiSO
Dh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=DpwNaCrfXd9EI
fo9xBxDQO1_hSmvZiI6uiV6fYe3rYU&s=4575vR5rygFrP_tvoH2z0iDv1njzued0M1dNS0wbTT
s&e=

Deadline: 2018-07-20 Action Needed

I do not know if we will be able to close this by 8th July.

Sri

On 7/7/18, 12:18 PM, "Bogineni, Kalyani"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_
>liaison_1586_&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=Idi
>SODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pM
>D_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=77-_DB88Sb27VyXuBt7_1OKS1QMBOTs_A_Ln-p
>GFsYc&e=
>
>
>Sri
>
>
>
>
>
>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_
>listinfo_dmm&d=DwIGaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=IdiS
>ODh8aDRjdCeGgd9MznLHMYKgKcs_YSwXBDiaofh47oilzaXYRYETcBynUdpT&m=qxXTZYI7pMD
>_45zlLf4jtPJrGH6H0ygd_lgk8PE1o24&s=YrIr5CHJMjB2j4ebFkCLy_9NwWmV0lQpHiSgLUe
>FJTI&e=