Subject: [Dmsp] request for dmsp BOF (corrected)

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:05:33 -0400

Please consider our request for a Birds of a Feather session at the next
IETF meeting in Montreal. Please note, the previous request [Inquiry
#86376]included incorrect area directors.

Distributed Multimodal Synchronization Protocol [DMSP]

    BOF Chair:  Nathaniel Borenstein <[email-masked]>

    AREA under which Working Group or BOF appears: Applications Area

    CONFLICTS: SPEECHSC is for the same community, more or less.

    Expected Attendance: 10

    Special requests (i.e. multicast, specific day of the week): None

    Number of slots: 1

    Length of slot: 2 hours

AGENDA FOR DMSP BOF

Chair:  Nathaniel Borenstein, IBM

Area Directors: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>  Lisa Dusseault
<[email-masked]>

I.  Note Well, Blue Sheets, Introductions

II.  DMSP Overview and Discussion  -- Chris Cross, IBM, and J. Engelsma,
Motorola
      (Initial I-D at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-engelsma-dmsp-01.txt)

III.  Goals for a Possible WG
      (We will circulate a draft charter before the meeting.)

IV.  Next Steps
      -- Create WG?
      -- Revise I-D?

Description:
    The goal of this BoF is to understand the need and discuss the creation
              of
    a working group to create a protocol for the synchronization of
              modalities
    in a distributed multimodal system.

   The advancement of wireless networking, mobile computing, and voice
   processing technologies have created a mobile computing environment
   where access to network based content and services is possible from
   mobile devices.  While the compact form factor of these devices is an
   essential and desirable characteristic from the mobility perspective,
   it unfortunately gives rise to a "user interface bottleneck".  That
   is, the small displays and limited keypads are significant barriers
   to usability.  The aim of multimodal user interfaces is to enhance
   the usability of mobile devices.

   The term "multimodal interface" in the context of this specification
   refers to augmenting the existing graphical user interface (GUI) of
   mobile devices with a voice user interface (VUI).  In this way, the
   strengths of one modality offset the weaknesses of the other.  For
   example, use speech to enter data that would be tedious to enter on a
   small keypad.  Similarly, use tactile input to disambiguate or
   confirm speech recognition results, or in lieu of speech recognition
   in a noisy environment.  Speech output also improves the
   accessibility of mobile applications for visually impaired users and
   is a means for addressing growing safety concerns by providing hands-
   free operation.  A visual display helps the user better retain and
   interpret information presented audibly via speech prompts.

   The  DMSP internet draft elaborates on a broad architectural framework
that combines
   the existing web and VoiceXML (Voice Extensible Markup Language)
   ecosystems and the industry standards upon which they are based.  The
   scope of the specification is limited to one particular
   architectural configuration within this framework: the coordination
   of a GUI browser or application running on a mobile device with a
   VoiceXML browser running in the network.  The Distributed Multimodal
   Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) accomplishes this. The ID is located at
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-engelsma-dmsp-01.txt and we
have a
   mail list at [email-masked].

thanks,
chris

Chris Cross
Multimodal Browser Architect
_______________________
IBM Boca Raton
[email-masked]
office 561 862 2102
mobile 561 317 0700
fax 501 641 6727

_______________________________________________
Dmsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmsp