Subject: [DNA] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dna-protocol-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Detecting Network Attachment Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Design document for Detecting Network Attachment in IPv6 Networks (DNAv6 Design)
	Author(s)       : S. Narayanan, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dna-protocol-08.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2008-07-11

Efficient detection of network attachment in IPv6 needs the following
three components: a method for hosts to detect link change in the
presence of unmodified (non-DNAv6) routers, a method for the host to
query routers on the link to identify the link (Link Identification)
and a method for the routers on the link to consistently respond to
such a query with minimal delay (Fast RA).  Solving the link
identification based strictly on RFC 2461 is difficult because of the
flexibility offered to routers in terms of prefixes advertised in a
router advertisement (RA) message.  Similarly, the random delay in
responding to router solicitation messages imposed by RFC 2461 makes
it difficult to receive an RA quickly.  In this memo, a mechanism
that was developed for detection of network attachement is documented
for future reference.  This memo is an informational document and
thus does not define a new standard.  The mechanism proposed in this
informational RFC requires the hosts to monitor all the prefixes
advertised on the link and use it for link identification in the
presence of non-DNAv6 routers is presented.  A more efficient link-
identification mechanism requiring the DNAv6 routers to monitor the
link for advertised prefixes to assist the hosts in link
identification combined with a fast router advertisement mechanism
that selects the order of response for the router deterministically
is also presented.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dna-protocol-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.