Subject: [dns-privacy] Maybe a new URI scheme dnss: ?

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 08:56:52 -0700

Greetings. RFC 4501 defines the dns: URI scheme. You can specify a host 
and port number, but the assumption is that you are running DNS. Thus, 
dns://1.1.1.1:853/example.com?TYPE=A does not mean "use DNS over TLS".

I'm thinking of proposing a dnss: scheme for "DNS over TLS", akin to 
https: for "HTTP over TLS". Does anyone have any objection to me 
starting this work? Or has anyone already started it but not moved it 
forward in the process?

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 12:03:18 -0400

FYI, the DNSCrypt folks have defined (but not sent to IANA) a relevant URI
scheme: https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/stamps

Their approach is very different from yours.

At a minimum, I would say this demonstrates demand.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> https: for "HTTP over TLS". Does anyone have any objection to me starting
> this work? Or has anyone already started it but not moved it forward in the
> process?
>
> --Paul Hoffman
>
> _______________________________________________
> dns-privacy mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-privacy
>

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 12:59:41 -0400

Hi Paul,

> starting this work? Or has anyone already started it but not moved it

Erik Kline posted about this about a month ago on this list. In general,
I think this appears to have some interest behind it.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:23:36 -0700

> I think this appears to have some interest behind it.

Gaaaah, I can't believe I forgot that, particularly given how recently 
it was. Apologies to Erik. And I'll work with him on a proposal based on 
the discussion on the list.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 18:38:14 +0900

On 13 April 2018 at 02:23, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Gaaaah, I can't believe I forgot that, particularly given how recently it
> was. Apologies to Erik. And I'll work with him on a proposal based on the
> discussion on the list.

The thread mentioned here would be this one:

    https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dns-privacy/current/msg01893.html

And looking at this thread I see I missed Stephane's response that
perhaps I should have asked uri-review@.

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 07:40:49 -0700

> perhaps I should have asked uri-review@.

Having a full proposal (even if it is one that will be abandoned) is the 
best way to approach that list. I'm happy to work on that with you.

--Paul Hoffman