Subject: Stupid questions on stub resolvers...

From: Nicholas Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:31:25 -0700

Do people know of any stub resolvers which cache beyond the direct  
answer when asking a recursive resolver?

EG, if the recursive resolver when asked "www.foo.com", also returns  
an additional record "advertisements.foo.com A 12.34.56.78", will any  
known stub resolvers cache that additional value?

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:15:17 -0700

> answer when asking a recursive resolver?

If you've installed BIND:

% man lwresd

Regards,
-drc

---

From: bert hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:18:27 +0200

> answer when asking a recursive resolver?

Very little is known (at least, here) about the behaviour of the many
different stub resolvers.

Some applications (browsers) bring their own dedicated stub resolver, in
other cases the "stub resolver" is actually a repeater in a domestic router
or modem.

I suspect Microsoft Exchange to also have a built-in stub given its
unorthodox DNS behaviour at times.

This next to the stubs in phones, and the zoo of operating system versions.

More study might be in order. 

> known stub resolvers cache that additional value?

I expect this behaviour to be very rare. CNAME chain following is about
where most stub resolvers end, in my expectaction.

	Bert

-- 
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software 
http://netherlabs.nl              Open and Closed source services