Subject: FW: [dnsext] IANA DNS params registry typo w.r.t. label types

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:14:50 -0800

Olafur/others...

Please let us know if there is something that needs to be fixed here.

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton
IANA

------ Forwarded Message
From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:11:39 -0800
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [dnsext] IANA DNS params registry typo w.r.t. label types

[ Moderators note: Post was moderated, either because it was posted by
   a non-subscriber, or because it was over 20K.
   With the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss and therefore
   delete relevant posts by non-subscribers.
   Please fix your subscription addresses. ]

"
Registry Name: DNS Label types
Reference: [RFC5001]
Registration Procedures: IETF standards action
"

http://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters

But RFC5001 doesn't even have the word "label" in it, and its IANA
considerations section only mentions the allocation of an EDNS option
code (3).

Nico
--

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/><http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

------ End of Forwarded Message

------ End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:14:50 -0800

Olafur/others...

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton
IANA

------ Forwarded Message

"

Nico
--

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:54:36 -0500

> considerations section only mentions the allocation of an EDNS
> option code (3).

Michelle can confirm or deny this, but as I understand it the
"reference" tags in IANA registries sometimes refers to the document
that last caused an update, whether the document in question actually
mentioned the registry in question or not.  That is, sometimes it's
less of a "reference" in the normal sense and more of a "fingerprint".
Several nitpicky errors discovered during publication of RFC 5001
caused IANA to conduct its last cleanup of several EDNS-related
registries, thus RFC 5001's fingerprint ended up on those registries.

I don't claim that this makes sense, exactly, but it appears to be
what what happens.  If someone wants to go through all of the DNS
parameter registries, check all the references, and suggest
corrections where appropriate, I'm sure IANA would be grateful.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:09:58 -0800

Yes... IANA would be grateful for any appropriate corrections.

Thank you Rob.

Michelle Cotton
IANA