Subject: bye

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:01:29 -0700 (PDT)

paul vixie requested i resign as dnsind wg chair.  i have done so.

randy

---

From: Jim Bound IPv6 Technical Leader UNIX Engineering Internet Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 08:40:43 -0400

Randy,

>paul vixie requested i resign as dnsind wg chair.  i have done so.

WHOA SLOW DOWN here.  I have my issues with your views and disagree with
you 90% of the time.  But your one of the best dam WG chairs I have seen
in the IETF.  I don't agree with Paul please stay.

The reason stuff gets messed up here and takes so long is we have too
many self proclaimed profits on this mail list and not enough real
vendors who have to ship DNS as a "product" as opposed to a software
base.  Thank god Microsoft is watching this stuff
very diligently.  We need to think "shipping" on this list not idealism.

thanks
/jim

---

From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 00:32:58 -0700

> Subject: bye

actually what i said was:

> you should not have let yourself be talked out of resigning.
> [...] please reinstigate your resignation.

this is different in a subtle way from what randy said above.  and while
i'm not happy about any of this, i stand by what i said.  (and, i don't
believe that there is any causal relationship between the two sentences in
randy's text as quoted above.)

note that according to a note randy sent me earlier this evening, he has
unsubscribed from the namedroppers mailing list.  anyone who wants him to
see their comments, or as in my case feels that it would be unfair to
discuss his actions without cc'ing him, should cc him on their comments.

---

From: Jim Bound IPv6 Technical Leader UNIX Engineering Internet Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 10:28:17 -0400

Paul,

Sorry. I was not jumping on your shit.  My response was an objective
response.  I still don't agree with you then.  Randy should not resign
we need him.  Probably selfish on my part but the DNS stuff is critical
to my first love in this IETF chaos and that is IPv6.  We have some
serious work todo to get that new A6 record done and the new APIs and
for IPv6 DNS MUST be secure and for 2136 too.  I am glad to see
TSIG/TKEY moving forward fast tracked.  Good job.

But we do need Randy IMHO.

thanks
/jim