Subject: dnsind status

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 05:23:38 +1000

As you have heard from Jeff Burgan, I have been appointed co-chair
of dnsind.   This process was initiated some time ago, before
the recent little (mostly off list apparently) "discussion"
between Randy Bush and Paul Vixie.

The intent was, and for that matter, still is, that I will be
mostly responsible for the back room process stuff, trying to
make sure that drafts are getting updated, and when they're done,
supplying the appropriate hints to our ADs to get the IESG
processing done as quickly as possible. etc.   I have never
intended actually running any of the WG meetings, nor for that
matter, am I likely to attend all of the IETF meetings, whether
dnsind is meeting or not.

That was all fine while Randy was going to continue and keep
actually running the WG meetings, etc - but as you will have read,
Randy was pushed into resigning recently, which has caused something
of a problem.   Fortunately, some of us have been able to prevail
upon Randy's sense of community need, and good will, and have
convinced him to reverse his earlier decision, which has avoided
all kinds of problems for this group.

Thus, Randy and I will be co-chairing dnsind (until either one of
us decides that we have had enough, or our ADs decide that the
group would be better with alternative arrangements).

In the near future I intend to prepare and submit to the group
an update of our charter, which as currently written reflects
fantasy much more than reality.   Until recently that had been
deferred pending a decision on just how future DNS work was going
to be handled.  As that now seems to have been resolved to the
point where DNSIND is it for the immediate future anyway, our
charter needs to reflect our current purposes.   Once we are agreed
on what we would like to have there, we can begin the process of
negotiation with our ADs, and then the IESG, to have the modified
charter approved.   Obviously the productive work of the group won't
slow down while this is taking place - charter updates can be a
long drawn out process sometimes.

One last word about this group.   In general we're a small group, and
I believe, at least, a group which is quite good at getting high
quality work done.   But we are a working group.   That implies that
we actually do work - and that means both the new fun stuff, and
finishing up the older, and now less exciting tasks - and that
we work as a group, not as random individuals throwing barbs around.
Anyone with comments to make on the work of the group will please make
them on the group's mailing list, where everyone can see and judge
the comment being made.   Neither I, nor Randy, will accept private
comments on drafts that have been submitted, or last calls, or
anything else of working group substance.   Draft authors should
not either, other than comments relating purely to editorial matters.

kre

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 20:29:17 -0400

sounds like a plan to me.  welcome aboard as co-chair.
esp not hearing private comments. I like that one a lot, good rule.

do we have to call you "Mr. Elz" now )----->

/jim