Subject: Re: your mail

From: Johnny Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:38:20 MET

> Randy;
> 
>>        3.2.3 The LAN segment(s) on which a root server is homed MUST NOT
>>              also home crackable hosts.  I.e. the LAN segments should be
>>              switched or routed so there is no possibility of
>>              masquerading.
>
> Isn't it better to require root servers attached to a single
> LAN segment that each has only one IP address?

The best might be if we also required all routers on the path from the
end user to the root server to be uncrackable.

Seriously, maybe the term "crackable host" in the original sentence
should be changed to just "host".

> 							Masataka Ohta

--Johnny

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 18:14:47 -0800 (PST)

> should be changed to just "host".

i was thinking there might be ntp devices or other 'embedded' type hosts.
a 'MUST NOT' is very strong, so i wanted an 'out'.

randy