Subject: Coming draft -keyreferral-00.txt

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:27:04 -0500

Soon (as in later today) I will be submitting to the Secretariat a draft
called "The Zone Key Referral[1]."  This draft originates from the DNSSEC
WG.

The reason for the draft is the following text from RFC 2535:

>2.3.4 Special Considerations at Delegation Points
...
>
>   There MUST be a zone KEY RR, signed by its superzone, for every
>   subzone if the superzone is secure. This will normally appear in the
>   subzone and may also be included in the superzone.  But, in the case
>   of an unsecured subzone which can not or will not be modified to add
>   any security RRs, a KEY declaring the subzone to be unsecured MUST
>   appear with the superzone signature in the superzone, if the
>   superzone is secure. ...

This requirement has implications on both performance (albeit not an
engineering problem) liability.

I will leave the rest of the discussion to the draft and the ensuring
electronic debate.

[1] (Co-author) Jerry - I just now reordered the title words..."Zone
Referral Key" didn't seem accurate.  Hope that's ok.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                       Network Associates/TIS
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                             Email: [email-masked]

Think globally, scope locally.
"Trying is the first step to failure." - Homer Simpson
"No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.