Subject: IND testing in Minn,

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:30:26 -0500

We will be having an interoperability testing session on Monday March
15'th, starting around 15:30 
The features to be tested include 
	IXFR		(RFC 1995)
	Notify                (RFC 1996)
	Dynamic Update (RFC 2136)
	Negative Caching (RFC 2308) 
	TSIG		(ID right now but ready for IETF last call)

Those interested in participating, please send me mail. 
We will be using the same setup as we used in Orlando.
Test zone is ind.test. 
Each vendor will be delegated a domain in that zone, we will have
msft.ind.test, isc.ind.test. etc. 

Each supported feature will have a test zone that each vendor is primary for. 
For some of the test cases other vendors will be secondaries for these zones. 
For example: Bind-8.x supports notify, the test zone for that is
notify.isc.ind.test. all vendors that support notify will be secondaries
for this zone. 
To test the notify feature the zone will be changed (via file or dynamic
update). 

Now that we have done interoperabilty tests 2 times, it is time to automate
some of the tests and bring test scripts to the testing. Anyone willing to
contribute test scripts, please send me email ASAP.  We also need people to
take notes, and this time we will make preliminary report at the DNSIND
meeting on Tuesday (Randy put me on the agenda).

Of course we need people to help keep notes, and summarize logs.

Tests to be performed.

Notify: test cases 
	basic compliance: this has been tested and passed interoperabilty tests, 
		new vendors can have this test run to check their compliance. 

	big test case: This has not been completed yet, see section 3.5 

IXFR: complete test of protocol (send in test cases, and how to do this)

Dynamic Update: 
	last time around Bind and MS servers were passing most of the basic tests
but there were a number of border cases that both were failing. We need to
run these border cases again and if other servers are present they should
get the complete test run against them. (send in border cases you want them
tested). 
Here is an example of an nasty one:
	create a name with an A record 
		add a CNAME 
	query for the A record,  it should not exist any more 
	(check if the A record is zone transferred to secondaries). 

Negative Caching: Mark Andrews is in charge of this
	this is going to be a complete test. 

TSIG: bind-8.2 will have mostly complete support for latest ID, if anyone
else has implementation 
we can test it.
tests will include: 
	TSIG on query
	TSIG on dynamic Update
	TSIG on Zone Transfer (TCP mode, AXFR & IXFR)
	TSIG on notify

	Olafur 

----------------------------------------------------
Olafur Gudmundsson 	    		            [email-masked]  (work)
443-259-2389 (NEW PHONE NUMBER)	[email-masked]   (private)
301-854-6889  x2389 (call this if  443 area code is not known by your pbx
or carrier)