Subject: DNSIND WG: you may want to glance over draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-09.txt

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:54:14 +1100

Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: Multipart/Mixed; Boundary="NextPart"
To: IETF-Announce:;
Cc: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-09.txt
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:07:05 -0500

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Interaction between DHCP and DNS
	Author(s)	: Y. Rekhter, M. Stapp
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-09.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 22-Mar-98
	
   DHCP provides a powerful mechanism for IP host autoconfiguration.
   However, the autoconfiguration provided by DHCP does not include
   updating DNS, and specifically updating the name to address and
   address to name mappings maintained by DNS.
 
   This document specifies how DHCP clients and servers should use the
   Dynamic DNS Updates mechanism to update the DNS name to address and
   address to name mapping, so that the mappings for DHCP clients would
   be consistent with the IP addresses that the clients acquire via
   DHCP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-09.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-09.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-09.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:54:44 -0500

>	Title		: Interaction between DHCP and DNS

This draft is somewhat of a "problem" from a DNS viewpoint.  Since this is
the namedroppers list and not dhcp, I'll be brief and mention issue points
relating to DNS.

The protocol extension (option in DHCP terms) is too restrictive, it only
assumes the A and PTR records will ever be part of this.  With a simple
twist, the proposal could be more adaptable.

The interactions with DNS as described don't gel with DNS terminology or
operations concepts.  The draft also describes actions that do not mesh
with the DNS security extensions work nor secured Dynamic Update.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                       Network Associates/TIS
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                             Email: [email-masked]

Think globally, scope locally.
"Trying is the first step to failure." - Homer Simpson
"No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.