Subject: LOC stoopid question

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:07:52 -0500 (EST)

so i decided to try to use LOC

    ; from datum 2100L gps 99.03.09
    ; lat: 47.6107178 lon: -122.5754471 alt: -10.6464291
			LOC	( 47 36 38.58408 N  
				  57 25 28.39044 W  
				  -10.65m
				  1m 1m 1m )

and got 

    Mar 12 16:52:34 rip named[119]: master zone "bogus.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 9903120)

from bind 8.1.2 on freebsd 4.0-current.

i also find this example 

    loiosh.kei.com.           LOC   42 21 43.952 N 71 5 6.344 W
                                    -24m 1m 200m

in rfc 1876 confusing.  how is the continuation line working?  i see no
punch in column 6?

actually, i find the description of the zone file syntax in the rfc to be
rather poor, as i have demonstrated by my inability to follow it. :-)

randy

---

From: Christopher K Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Mar 1999 11:44:13 -0500

Randy Bush <[email-masked]> writes:

> so i decided to try to use LOC [...] and got 

Yeah, BIND doesn't actually implement the continuation line stuff in a
general way (just for SOA, I think).  The original theory was that it
would make it in sometime during the I-D life of the document that
became 1876.  It didn't.

> in rfc 1876 confusing.  how is the continuation line working?  i see no

That one's an oops; I should have explicitly noted that it's folded for
presentation.

> rather poor, as i have demonstrated by my inability to follow it. :-)

I'll agree with you; quite honestly, it stinks, and I can say that
because I wrote it.  I've tried to atone somewhat with
<URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/> which should be more clear, but what
I really need to do is rewrite the RFC.  (Unfortunately I think the
nroff source was lost three machine moves ago; that might however be a
blessing in disguise.)

-- 
Christopher Davis * <[email-masked]> * <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/>
Put location information in your DNS! <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/>