Subject: RE: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 11:05:17 -0400

At 10:32 AM 10/6/2003, BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE wrote:
>...
>Some do think DNS resolver address is enough. I agree with that, when
>one trust its local network and/or when one just need simple Ip
>connectivity (see Pekka Savola example), DNS resolver addresses is the
>only "information" to add to stateless address autoconfiguration. There
>I have the feeling that DHCP-lite is still to complicated...

What is complicated about DHCP-lite?

Host requests configuration options. Host gets DNS address.
This works for situations where DNS address is all that is 
needed, and for those in which more options are needed.
No need to decide in advance which case applies.

John

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:15:12 +0300 (EEST)

> What is complicated about DHCP-lite?
[...]

About 100+ pages of specification?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:19:29 +0100

> About 100+ pages of specification?

We refer to DCHPv6 Lite, but is it defined?

Tim

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 06:33:55 -0400

See draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.txt for a definition of
"DHCPv6-lite".  The -01 rev has been submitted but hasn't appeared on
www.ietf.org as yet.

Several implementations exist and successful interoperability tests were
conducted at TAHI and Connectathon earlier this year.

- Ralph

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:10:15 +0100

Sounds good.  Is there a list of DHCPv6 implementations (client and server) 
available anywhere?   I'm aware of a handful including the sourceforge Linux 
project and activity by Cisco.   How many of these are dedicated "lite"
servers following this draft and how many have done the full DHCPv6 spec 
implementation anyway?

Tim

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:46:57 -0400

I don't know of a list of DHCPv6 implementations; I haven't compiled one,
myself.  I don't remember running into any servers that implement
only "DHCPv6-lite".

BTW, draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-01.txt has been officially published.

- Ralph