Subject: [dnsop] Protocol Action: 'Observed DNS Resolution Misbehavior' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:10:15 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Observed DNS Resolution Misbehavior '
   <draft-ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res-06.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res-06.txt

Technical Summary

 This memo describes DNS iterative resolver behavior that results in a
 significant query volume sent to the root and top-level domain (TLD)
 name servers, and offers implementation advice to iterative resolver
 developers to alleviate these unnecessary queries. The
 recommendations made in this document are a direct byproduct of
 observation and analysis of abnormal query traffic patterns seen at
 two of the thirteen root name servers and all thirteen com/net TLD
 name servers.

Working Group Summary

 This document was produced by the DNSOP WG. The WG has consensus
 to publish this document as a BCP.

Protocol Quality

 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by David Kessens.

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html