Subject: [DNSOP] reverse-mapping-considerations issue 14

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:21:05 -0500

Dear colleagues,

In 

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg00062.html

Dean Anderson pointed out that
draft-ietf-dnsop-reverse-mapping-considerations-01.txt talks about
"accurate reverse mapping data" without defining the term.  He
moreover pointed out that the term "accurate" is a somewhat loaded
term.

To respond to this issue, I propose the following:

1.  Define "existing reverse data" and cognates as meaning "a reverse
    query results in a response other than NXDOMAIN".

2.  Define "matching reverse data" and cognates as meaning "a reverse
    query returns a set of one or more names which, when each queried
    themselves for A or AAAA RRs (as appropriate) return one or more
    results, one of which corresponds to the original reverse query"

3.  Change any mention of "accurate reverse data" to say "matching
    reverse data" instead.

Thanks to Joe Abley for the wording of (2), which was rather more
awkward and less accurate in my original formulation.

I think that (1) and (2) would be well-served by an example or two,
showing what is and is not existing and matching reverse data, as
well.

If anyone has objections or comments before I alter the draft to look
this way, I'd like to hear them.

Best regards,
A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: [email-masked]                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop