Subject: [DNSOP] question from a newbie

From: Alok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:33:03 +0530

Hi,

I dont know if it is fine to ask this question on an OPS list but here  
goes anyways:

A typical connection that a customer sees is as follows:

CPE/Phone---IPswitch---------------------IPSwitch---RemoteCPE/Phone
               |                            |
              DNS--------------------------DNS

so i want to talk to remote-cpe.hisdomain.com
I do a gethostbyname to get remote-cpe.hisdomain.com

it returns the IP/A record

however if remote CPE moves around say,
remote-cpe.itspostaladdress.com
is now
remote-cpe.itsnewaddress.com

is there a way one can give CNAME across domains
more like
remote-cpe.hisdomain.com IN CNAME remote-cpe.itsnewaddress.com

I know DynDNS does this easily at the A level, but is this possible at the  
CNAME level

-thanks
Alok

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:37:51 +0100

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 11:33:03AM +0530,
 Alok <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 37 lines which said:

> I dont know if it is fine to ask this question on an OPS list but
> here goes anyways:

No, it is not appropriate and it is not an Operations list but an IETF
list, to develop protocols and best practices and write RFC.
 
> remote-cpe.hisdomain.com IN CNAME remote-cpe.itsnewaddress.com

No problem, as long as you do not forget the dot at the end of the
name.

BTW, why changing the name at all? The entire point of the DNS is to
shield users from topology and providers. DynDNS does the right thing
here.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:37:51 +0100

---

From: Alok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:21:35 +0530

Yes I know the trailing . is needed,

However just the A record mechanism does not give much info of where the  
CPE is situated.

thanks anyways , the CNAME seems to work fine for me from here too,

-Alok

---

From: Alok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:21:35 +0530

-Alok

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:17:00 -0500 (EST)

I suggest you look into LOC DNS record type.  Then you update the loc 
record for the domainname as it moves around physically.

Here is a good link:
http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/

Alternately, I'm guessing you want to do VOIP call routing. You really
need an h323 gatekeeper network to do this function.  At the moment at
least, H323 far excels SIP over call routing.  SIP has recented added
some QSIG and SS7 support, but h323 has this for about 7 years now. If
you are using SIP, I suggest looking at the SIP/H323 gateway from the
openh323 project at voxgratia.org (This gateway just converts call
signaling, not codec formats).  H323 has a steeper learning curve, but 
call routing is complicated business.

Adapting DNS for VOIP call routing is probably a long shot, but good
luck.  If you go the LOC record route (pun intended;), please let me
know how it works out.

		--Dean

-- 
Av8 Internet   Prepared to pay a premium for better service?
www.av8.net         faster, more reliable, better service
617 344 9000

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:17:00 -0500 (EST)

Here is a good link:

		--Dean

---

From: Alok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:45:01 +0530

Thanks,

Nothing so complex out here,
bascially to put it simply I have a nice simple POTS line and I generally  
use that for making calls

My present telephone number is of the form +9112345789 etc.

Was wondering if I could just type
myfriend.hiscity.hiscountry.world and make a call, peer to peer.

unfortunately the attachment identifier is still an IP address and not a  
postal address.

--

---

From: Alok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:45:01 +0530

Thanks,

--