Subject: [DNSOP] 20,000 open resolvers claim

From: John Kristoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:23:37 -0500

dnsop,

I tried to take it offlist with Dean Anderson, but I cannot seem to get
very far.  He has not recanted, corrected or otherwise provided any
additional, verifiable evidence that would support this statement:

  'At great effort, a DNS researcher has compiled a list of about 20000
  open recursors by brute force search of 3.7 billion IP addressses.'

He did tell me:

  'I think there are several people on the list who do know what
  researcher I'm talking about.'

As many of you know, I've done this sort of work, have discovered many
millions of resolvers and have presented the data in other forums.  I
don't need the list of 20,000 resolvers.  :-)  I am just interested in
finding out what 'effort' and 'researcher' Dean Anderson is referring
to.

I know of of no such researcher or effort where his claim could possibly
be legitimate.  I know of Dan Kaminsky's work, Duane Wessels work and at
least two other, mostly private efforts.  None support his statement.

I will surmise that Dean's claim is simply false unless evidence to the
contrary arises.  Thank you,

John

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop