Subject: [DNSOP] Re: draft-licanhuang-dnsop-distributeddns-02

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:30:39 +0200

I do not find in the I-D draft-licanhuang-dnsop-distributeddns-02.txt
a notice about the right forum for the discussion? Since there is
"dnsop" in the title, I copy the dnsop WG but let me know if you
disagree.

This is not a complete review of the draft because my main problem is
that the draft is quite... drafty. There are few technical details,
there is a lot of hand waving (saying "IPv6 is huge" each time there
is a difficulty will not help), many claims are not backed by facts
(such as "the existing DNS architecture is unsuitable for the growth
of the Internet" or such as the time and space complexity claim of
section 3, which is apparently not demonstrated).

Some sections are very puzzling, for instance 2.3 "On-demand domain
names" seem to have been written by someone with very little Internet
experience because it presents as a big discovery the fact that a
machine may "have" several domain names.

I find personally very difficult to determine if there is actual
substance in this draft. For the next version, I suggest to focus on a
few things, and to stop trying to do so many at the same time.

Do note, for instance, that the Ramasubramanian and Sirer paper that
you mention is careful to talk only about resolution and does not go
into registration issues.

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop