Subject: Re: Fw: [DNSOP] Re: draft-licanhuang-dnsop-distributeddns-02

From: Lican Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:46:07 +0100 (BST)

Dear Mr. Stephane Bortzmeyer, 
  I mean  a server can have  many domain names if  the server is the provider of many classified things.  In the future, the lower layer domain name can be registered  by the user itself.
   
  Thanks,
   
  Lican Huang

huang lican <[email-masked]> wrote:
  
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Stephane Bortzmeyer" 
To: "huang lican" 

Cc: 
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:44 PM
Subject: [DNSOP] Re: draft-licanhuang-dnsop-distributeddns-02

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 10:10:09AM +0800,
huang lican 
wrote 
a message of 111 lines which said:

> The address space of IPv6 is huge means in the future, the next
> generation Internet will have a huge number of the IP addresses as
> well as Domain names.

I know IPv6. What disturbed me was the repeated hand waving of "IPv6
is huge" every time where there was a difficult question, as if the
large address space of IPv6 had the potential to solve every problem.

> Domain names now is used for corresponding with IP address. But, I
> argue that in the future, Domain name is not only for IP address,
> but has some social meanings in it.

It is the case for a very long time. Otherwise we would not need
lawyers and ICANN!

> For example, a machine is the provider of Song of Britney and
> Madanna, this machine may use www.Britney.popular.music and
> www.Madonna .popular.music as its Domain Names.

Why "in the future"? And how is it different from the very common
practice of today??? The address of the Web server of Beyoncé is
http://www.beyonce.com/, it is not an IPv4 address and a name
reflecting the provider.

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---------------------------------
 For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good this month.

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Lican Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:46:07 +0100 (BST)

Thanks,
   
  Lican Huang

----- Original Message ----- 

Cc:

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:12:14 -0400

Dear colleagues,

I think I must agree with Stephane Bortzmeyer on this topic.  In
particular, a couple items follow.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 12:46:07PM +0100, Lican Huang wrote:

>   I mean  a server can have  many domain names if  the server is
>   the provider of many classified things.  

This is true today.  Plenty of people are doing it.

> In the future, the lower
>   layer domain name can be registered by the user itself.

This is sort of true today.  Users still have to work through a
registrar and a domain name registry (the latter is obviously
necessary, since for names to be definite descriptors, they must be
unique).  Any prediction of the demise of the ICANN+registrars system
(1) underestimates the institutional inertia that would need to be
overcome and (2) is not the business of the IETF anyway.

A

-- 
----
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:12:14 -0400

Dear colleagues,

A

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:21:29 +0200

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 09:12:14AM -0400,
 Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> Users still have to work through a registrar and a domain name
> registry (the latter is obviously necessary, since for names to be
> definite descriptors, they must be unique).  Any prediction of the
> demise of the ICANN+registrars system

Small improvement to the above text: the ICANN+registrars system is
*not* the only system in use *today*. Some TLD do not depend on / get
their legitimacy from ICANN (they do not have a contract) and some TLD
do no have registrars, they sell directly.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:21:29 +0200

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:42:07 +0200

--On 17. oktober 2007 12:46 +0100 Lican Huang <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> I mean  a server can have  many domain names if  the server is the
> provider of many classified things.  In the future, the lower layer
> domain name can be registered  by the user itself.

This is true today. I register my own resources in my own domain.

But - the DNS is not a directory. It offers no way to search for a name if 
you don't know exactly how it is spelled. Thus, putting stuff into the DNS 
tends to be useless as a classification scheme.

So I fail to undestand how registering a domain name for a resource is 
useful when providing an URL for the same resource is so much more 
convenient

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears)

              Harald Alvestrand

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:42:07 +0200

Harald Alvestrand

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:31:03 +0100

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 09:42:07PM +0200,
 Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]> wrote 

> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears)

We are moving a bit far away from
draft-licanhuang-dnsop-distributeddns but the big problem with the
URLs is the lack of internal consistency:

Rob Pike and Peter J. Weinberger
The hideous name
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/85/1-05.ps.gz

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:31:03 +0100

---

From: Lican Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:57:33 +0000 (GMT)

I have extended this setion and written a new proposal  for P2P based Universal Resource Name  resolution.  
   
  Some parts are as following:
   
  Universal Resource Name which means the same but differs with uniform resource name in syntax.
   
  Universal Resource Name syntax is:
   
  functionscheme ":"global-hier-part"/"local-name
       The functionscheme is type or function or schema for the resource.
     The global-hier-part is the global hierachical name similar as
     Domain name.
     The local-name is the local name for the resource.
       for example
         blog:Britney.popular.music/storyofBritney
            This is a resource name for a blog article about the story of
   Britney Spears
           song:Britney.popular.music/Lonely
           This is a resource name for the song Lonely by Britney Spears.
           Britney Spears is classified as Britney.popular.music.
   
  Lican Huang

Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
  On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 09:42:07PM +0200,
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote 

       
---------------------------------
One email account is enough. Simplify your life by switching other accounts into Yahoo! Mail.

---

From: Lican Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:57:33 +0000 (GMT)

Lican Huang