Subject: [DNSOP] Re: draft-licanhuang-dnsop-distributeddns-02

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:44:09 +0200

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 10:10:09AM +0800,
 huang lican <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 111 lines which said:

> The address space of IPv6 is huge means in the future,  the next
> generation Internet will have a huge number of  the IP addresses  as
> well as Domain names.

I know IPv6. What disturbed me was the repeated hand waving of "IPv6
is huge" every time where there was a difficult question, as if the
large address space of IPv6 had the potential to solve every problem.

> Domain names now is used for corresponding with IP address.  But, I
> argue that in the future, Domain name is not only for IP address,
> but has some social meanings in it.

It is the case for a very long time. Otherwise we would not need
lawyers and ICANN!

> For example, a machine is the provider of Song of Britney and
> Madanna, this machine may use www.Britney.popular.music and
> www.Madonna .popular.music as its Domain Names.

Why "in the future"? And how is it different from the very common
practice of today??? The address of the Web server of Beyoncé is
http://www.beyonce.com/, it is not an IPv4 address and a name
reflecting the provider.

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:44:09 +0200