Subject: [DNSOP] Draft on rDNS for IPv6: draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns-00

From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:23:49 -0700

Saw this on another list and thought that the folks on this one might
be interested: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns-00

Abstract

   In IPv4, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) commonly provide IN-
   ADDR.ARPA. information by prepopulating the zone with one PTR
   record for every available address.  This practice does not scale
   in IPv6. This document analyses different approaches to managing
   the ip6.arpa zone for broadband customers.

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:21:52 +1000

In message <[email-masked]>, Doug Barton writes:
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

This was on the adgena for DNSOP at the last IETF 75.  There was
much discussion.  Not all of use agree with the analysis in that
document though I think there was consensus that ISP's shouldn't
need to per-populate reverse IPv6 zones.

   4.4) draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns-00.txt
	[Alain Durand][15 min][10:30]

Mark
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:26:22 -0700

Mark Andrews wrote:

> much discussion. 

Sorry if I'm rehashing this unnecessarily. I did (an admittedly
cursory) search of my list archive and didn't see anything similar.

> Not all of use agree with the analysis in that

Yeah, that more or less sums up my feelings as well, although ....

I did read recently about the idea of using DLZ for this. Any
reasonably sized relational database ought to be able to handle the
load here. I plan to look at scripting something for this purpose as
soon as I get the requisite number of round 'tuits.

Doug

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:52:51 +1000

> soon as I get the requisite number of round 'tuits.

You don't need a database.  The number of machines involved doesn't
magically explode so you don't magically need lots more PTR records.
Typical households have a handful of machines.  All that's really
needed is a agreed method to populate the reverse name space.

If you deploy BCP 38 to the customer level TCP is a good enough
authenticator for updating a reverse zone via UPDATE.

If you don't do BCP 38 to the customer level, e.g. there is shared
media involved that allows spoofing to occur for customers on that
media, then TSIG will work and is scaleable at the ISP level for
UPDATE.

Windows already attempts to do UPDATE. It just does it over UDP.
Switching to TCP for the UPDATE message should be trivial.

Since this is IPv6 give each customer their own address block and
corresponding reverse zone.  You don't need a single big machine
to do this.

Mark