Subject: [DNSOP] Models of DNS cache behavior?

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Feb 2012 01:57:23 -0000

Are there any models of DNS cache behavior, either analytic or
simulations?  What I have in mind is something that would help me see
whether I should partition a cache among various kinds of traffic, or
perhaps limit max TTLs, or experiment with replacement strategies.  

For that matter, what's the state of DNS modelling in general?

I found a paper by Jung et al from 2003 on cache models which starts
by asserting that caches are so big that entries only drop out due to
TTL expiry, did a lot of analysis and simulation, and concluded that
15 minute TTLs got nearly the same cache benefit of 24 hr TTL.

A 2010 paper by Alexiou et al.  models the Kaminsky DNS poisoning
attack and the port randomizing fix, which is interesting but not what
I'm looking for.  (They conclude that the attack is real, and the fix
works OK.)

Anything else I should be looking at?

-- 
Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly

---

From: Emiliano Casalicchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:27:01 +0100

John,
may be the model described in this paper can be useful for you.

	Yakup Koç, Almerima Jamakovic, Bart Gijsen, "A Global Reference Model of the DNS"

presented at DNS-EASY 2011.

Here the proceedings:
http://www.gcsec.org/sites/default/files/files/dnseasy2011_final.pdf

Best
Emiliano

On 18 Feb 2012, at 02:57, John Levine wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>