Subject: Re: [DNSOP] measurements using the EDNS-Client-Subnet extension

From: Matt Calder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:41:15 -0700

Apologies for not being able to post in the original thread.

A few weeks ago, Florian Streibelt posted his research paper using the EDNS
client subnet extension. I am a PhD student at USC and have been doing
similar work. Using EDNS and techniques we developed, we found Google has
been rapidly expanding where is serves search from:
http://nsl.cs.usc.edu/~mcalder/animatedmap.gif (10 MB).
For data and more details, see project page http://mappinggoogle.cs.usc.edu and
tech report available at http://www.cs.usc.edu/assets/006/86340.pdf.
I believe that updated versions of both papers will be appearing at the
Internet Measurement Conference in the fall. We'd love any feedback from
you or from anyone on dnsop as we revise the paper for IMC and as we
continue related work going forward.

As a follow up to a question in the original thread, there are also number
of smaller CDNs which have invested in ECS such as CDN77, ChinaCache,
CacheFly and EdgeCast. There is a decent intro to edns-client-subnet at
http://www.cdnplanet.com/blog/which-cdns-support-edns-client-subnet/.

Cheers!
Matt