Subject: [DNSOP] Preliminary agenda for IETF89, London

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:41:29 -0500

Note, this is a draft and we've been shuffling around the format some.  
If we left you off we did so out of error so drop us a note. Even with 
the longer time, the first rule of meetings does seem to apply: the 
talking will be expanded to fill the allotted time.

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/89/agenda/agenda-89-dnsop

-------

WG:                     DNS Operations (dnsop)
Meeting:                IETF 89, London
Location:               Hilton Metropole, Sovereign
Date:                   Friday, 7 March 2014
Time:                   0900-1130 GMT
Chairs:                 Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
                         Suzanne Woolf <[email-masked]>

0)        Introduction

1)        Administrivia, Blue Sheets, etc. (10min)

         Overview of meeting structure        (chairs)

2)         Status Updates (30 minutes)
         (Business we need to move along)

         2.1) AS112 updates,  Abley (10 min)
                 draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname
		draft-jabley-dnsop-rfc6304bis
                         *Reviewers Needed*

         2.2) DNSSEC Key Exchanges, Hardaker, Kumari, et. al (10 min)
                 draft-ietf-dnsop-child-syncronization
                 draft-ietf-dnsop-delegation-trust-maintainance

         2.3) DNS Referral Response Size Issues (5)
                 draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize
                         *open questions* *Reviewers Needed*

         2.4) Initializing a DNS Resolver with Priming Queries, Koch (5)
                 draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming
                         *open questions* *Reviewers Needed*

3)        New Business

         3.1) Privacy and Confidentiality of DNS.

         	DNSE BOF summary, Bortzmeyer (5 min)

		a) Requirements (10 min)
		draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-dns-privacy
		draft-koch-perpass-dns-confidentiality
		draft-wijngaards-dnsop-confidentialdns

		b) Solution Space  (10 min)
		draft-rafiee-intarea-cga-tsig
		draft-wijngaards-dnsop-confidentialdns
		draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-privacy-sol

		c) Next Steps?
         	Not entirely inside *current* charter, but we do have a contribution to make....

	3.2) Special Names (15 min)

         	Chairs' summary (5 min)
         	Discussion: DNSOP role
                 existing requests/RFC 6761 process:
                         draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names
                         draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds
                 new drafts:
			draft-wkumari-dnsop-alt-tld
			draft-ogud-appsawg-multiple-namespaces
                 room for improvement?

4)         Non Actionable DNS Extensions
		(The Andrew Sullivan Memorial)

         4.1) TLS over DNS, Zi, (10 min)
                 draft-hzhwm-start-tls-for-dns

         4.2) EDNS Option updates, Wouters (5min)
                 draft-wouters-edns-tcp-keepalive
                 draft-wouters-edns-tcp-chain-query

         4.3) DNS Cookies, Eastlake
                 draft-eastlake-dnsext-cookies

5) Charter Discussion  (30 min)

         Watch this space for content

6) New Business

	6.1) Passive DNS,  (5 min)
		draft-dulaunoy-kaplan-passive-dns-cof

	6.2) DNSSEC Validator Requirements (5 min)
		draft-mglt-dnsop-dnssec-validator-requirements

7) After Meeting Reading

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:29:40 -0500 (EST)

>                 draft-hzhwm-start-tls-for-dns

Why is TLS for DNS (not 'TLS over DNS') not listed at 3.1?

Paul

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:54:24 -0500

Paul

While it definitely has privacy implications, it's also involves the 
dreaded 'protocol changes', which chases it into a grey area that while 
I'm very willing to dabble in, leaves some purists with a bad taste in 
their mouth.

Personally, I think its an inspired idea, especially when you look at 
all the tcpm and httpbis work on speeding up connections.   I'm willing 
to push this forward as well,  though I started it there to at least not 
forget it.

tim

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 22:39:10 +0100

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:29:40PM -0500,
 Paul Wouters <[email-masked]> wrote 

> >		draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-privacy-sol
...
> Why is TLS for DNS (not 'TLS over DNS') not listed at 3.1?

Following on Tim's response, I draw your attention on the fact that
one of the solutions mentioned in draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-privacy-sol,
"QNAME minimization", is not a protocol change at all and can
therefore be discussed even by the most charter-strict members of
DNSOP :-)

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:45:13 -0500 (EST)

>                 draft-wouters-edns-tcp-chain-query

I just noticed teh agenda links to the old tcp-only chain-query draft.
The actual latest version of the document is:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wouters-edns-chain-query/

Paul