Subject: [DNSOP] updated draft-wouters-edns-chain-query and draft-wouters-edns-tcp-keepalive

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:04:05 -0500 (EST)

Due to lack of a WG list, sent to dnsop and dnsext

I've updated two drafts:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wouters-edns-tcp-keepalive/

By popular request, the TIMEOUT value can now be used by both clients
and servers to manage their resources and expectations.

Various people requested we should not be too strict on anycast servers,
and we no longer require them to only use a TIMEOUT of 0.

Addressed comments from Ray, Mark, Tatuya, and others, and findings of
me as a result of testing using a patched dig against common DNS servers
capability to keep TCP sessions open already.

Reference the problem of 5966 recommending closing idle TCP sessions in
seconds.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wouters-edns-chain-query/
(formerly draft-wouters-edns-tcp-chain-query)

Most importantly, it no longer requires TCP, but will allow any "source
ip validated" transport, and references draft-eastlake-cookies for UDP.

Addresses Marc's comment regarding DNS requests > 512 bytes

Clarifies why we want NS records (in case we switch from forwarder to
standalone recursive)

Update on justification why this is better than rapid-fire UDP.

Paul