Subject: [DNSOP] Call for agenda items for London

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 23:13:43 -0500

Greetings,

London is less than a month away, and we should start soliciting agenda 
items.  I requsted a 2 hour session instead of the normally tight 1.5 
hours, and they gave us Friday Morning for 2.5 hours.  I attempted to do 
some horse trading with httpbis as they liked that slot, but nothing 
quite worked.

We already have some time for the privacy drafts floating around, 
especially discussing the requirements.  But feel free to email us with 
suggestions, requests, etc.  As we did in Vancouver, we've been given 
some latitude from our great and glorious AD to be more open in what we 
accept.

thanks
tim

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:10:29 +1100

I think there should be some discussion on how to deal with nameservers
that fail to respond to legitimate queries.
draft-andrews-dns-no-response-issue contains some thoughts on the
matter.

I also think we should establish requirements for updating parent
zones.  As a wg we have jumped in the deep end and gone straight
to solutions without working out the actual requirements.

draft-andrews-dnsop-update-parent-zone contains a short requirements
section that may be a good starting point.

-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:43:41 -0500 (EST)

> to solutions without working out the actual requirements.

We tried before and failed

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wouters-dnsop-secure-update-use-cases-00

then people got tired of waiting for the problem statement to mature,
and worked on solutions instead.

Paul

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:10:26 +1100

In message <[email-masked]>, Paul Wouters wri
> and worked on solutions instead.

Which is no reason to not to try to get a list of requirements out
of it now.  draft-wouters-dnsop-secure-update-use-cases provides
useful background to evaluate the requirements listed in
draft-andrews-dnsop-update-parent-zones.  Are they complete?

We need to look at what goes over the wire.  Does it support all
the use cases?

We need to look at whether there are places to put the policy knobs.

Mark

---

From: "Guangqing Deng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:30:30 +0800

Hi, Tim, I would like to request a time slot of 15 minutes to discuss the topic on optimizing DNS authority server placement. As we know, the geographical distribution of DNS authority servers (include root, TLD and other authority servers in the DNS hierarchy) highly affects the financial costs (such as server, energy and bandwidth costs) from the DNS operator's point of view and also the DNS resolution latency from the DNS client's point of view. Let us consider the following question: when hundreds even thousands of potential deployment locations are given, which locations (may be several or tens of) should be selected to deploy DNS authority servers of a specific DNS zone (for instance, .CN) so that the DNS resolution delay is minimized while the financial costs do not exceed their budget? It is not easy to answer this question though fundamentally we think that those locations with low financial level and close proximity to DNS clients should be selected. To the best of our knowledge, there is still no rigorous authority server placement approach yet and thus most DNS operators just choose locations according to their personal experience. 

Due to DNS attacks like DDOS attack, the deployment of DNSSEC as well as the launch of new gTLDs, more and more authority servers will be deployed and thus we think it makes sense to discuss this topic in DNSOP WG. On the following meeting, we would like to discuss use cases and two approaches proposed by us on this topic. 

Any suggestions? 

Look forward to see you soon in London!

Guangqing 
Deng
CNNIC  From: Tim WicinskiDate: 2014-02-11 12:13To: dnsopSubject: [DNSOP] Call for agenda items for London 
 
Greetings,

 
thanks
tim

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop