Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 05:46:10 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : AS112 Redirection using DNAME
        Authors         : Joe Abley
                          Brian Dickson
                          Warren Kumari
                          George Michaelson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2014-02-14

Abstract:
   Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses that
   are not globally unique.  Examples are the addresses designated in
   RFC 1918 for private use within individual sites.

   Devices in such environments may occasionally originate Domain Name
   System (DNS) queries (so-called "reverse lookups") corresponding to
   those private-use addresses.  Since the addresses concerned have only
   local significance, it is good practice for site administrators to
   ensure that such queries are answered locally.  However, it is not
   uncommon for such queries to follow the normal delegation path in the
   public DNS instead of being answered within the site.

   It is not possible for public DNS servers to give useful answers to
   such queries.  In addition, due to the wide deployment of private-use
   addresses and the continuing growth of the Internet, the volume of
   such queries is large and growing.  The AS112 project aims to provide
   a distributed sink for such queries in order to reduce the load on
   the IN-ADDR.ARPA authoritative servers.  The AS112 project is named
   after the Autonomous System Number (ASN) that was assigned to it.

   The AS112 project does not accommodate the addition and removal of
   DNS zones elegantly.  Since additional zones of definitively local
   significance are known to exist, this presents a problem.  This
   document describes modifications to the deployment and use of AS112
   infrastructure that will allow zones to be added and dropped much
   more easily.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:08:27 -0500

Hi all,

We've just submitted

  draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01
  draft-jabley-dnsop-rfc6304bis-00

which together specify an approach to extend the current AS112 project to be able to sink queries from arbitrary zones, whilst still supporting existing AS112 semantics.

We hope to present a brief overview of the approach in London.

Reactions and reviews of the two documents would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Joe

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01.txt
> Date: 14 February 2014 at 08:46:10 EST
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:02:40 +0000

> Reactions and reviews of the two documents would be most welcome!

The as112-dname draft still does not mention the glibc DNAME logging bug.

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg10638.html

Typo: "flexibl"

Apart from that, looks OK :-)

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:18:14 -0500

> The as112-dname draft still does not mention the glibc DNAME logging bug.

Oops, sorry for missing that, and thanks for the reminder.

In other news, you may have noticed that I just posted a -02, hot on the heels of the -01. I received some useful advice regarding the IANA Considerations section, and felt that it was worth making changes sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the review of -01!

Joe

---

From: "William F. Maton Sotomayor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:25:46 -0500 (EST)

> The as112-dname draft still does not mention the glibc DNAME logging bug.

Which Linux distro, or a set of Linux distros?  Some seaches yield various 
bug reports related to DNAME over the last few years in a couple of 
distros.

> Apart from that, looks OK :-)

+1

> Tony.

wfms

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:44:53 +1100

> bug reports related to DNAME over the last few years in a couple of 

Really does it matter?  The answer gets correctly processed and a
little syslog noise is produced.  If you have the problem upgrade
/ report it.

B.T.W. FreeBSD cleaned this up in 2007.
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/10.0.0/lib/libc/net/gethostbydns.c?r1=188315&r2=188316&

-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:31:03 +0000

> little syslog noise is produced.  If you have the problem upgrade

Whether it matters depends on the quantity of reverse DNS lookups you are
doing and the completeness of your locally-served zone setup, so I think
it is worth including the warning. And I think wfms's question is worth
answering but I don't have time to dig through historical versions right
now, sorry.

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Rockall, Malin: Cyclonic 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first in Rockall,
decreasing 3 or 4 except in north Rockall. Moderate or rough, becoming rough
or very rough. Rain or showers. Moderate or good.