Subject: [DNSOP] Final revision of the charter

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:54:56 -0400

All,

The bulk of the comments in the last round where in regards to the 
poorly worded Item 6 on 'Special Names'.  With the assisting of Andrew 
Sullivan, we've replaced the wording of that one to be more focused on 
the outcome and not the process, and removed those words like 'liason'.

Additionally, I replaced the sentence in Item 1 listing the type of 
resolvers but failing to mention stub resolvers, per comments from Petr 
and Andrew, et. al.

Also, in a fit of editorial obsession, I ran 'fmt' over the whole 
document, so if you're

We feel this has reached a 'rough consensus' and our Wonderful AD will 
present this to the IESG to begin that process.

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions.

tim

-------

The DNS Operations Working Group will develop guidelines for the
operation of DNS software and services and for the administration
of DNS zones.  These guidelines will provide technical information
relating to the implementation of the DNS protocol by the operators
and administrators of DNS zones. The group will perform the following
activities:

1. Define the processes by which Domain Name System (DNS) software
    may be efficiently and correctly administered, configured, and
    operated on Internet networks. This will include root zone name
    servers, TLD name servers, or any other resolver or server
    functioning as part of the global DNS.  As part of this effort,
    the group will produce documents explaining to the general
    Internet community what processes and mechanisms should be
    employed for the effective management and operation of DNS
    software and services, including root, TLD, and recursive servers.

2. Publish documents concerning DNSSEC operational procedures.

3. Publish documents concerning DNS operational
    procedures in IPv6 and mixed IPv6-IPv4 networks, and provide
    documentation and guidance on DNS-related IPv6 transition and
    coexistence issues.

4. Publish documents on extensions or protocol maintenance to the
    DNS Protocol, with a focus on the operational impacts of such
    changes.  Act as clearinghouse for discussion or provide advice
    to ADs and other WGs on EDNS0 options, new RRTYPEs, DNSSEC,
    record synthesis, or other mechanics of extending DNS to support
    other applications.

5. Serve as a clearinghouse for DNS-related issues where people can
    bring drafts that document the problem space around these issues.
    The group will then decide whether these issues belong in DNSOP
    and, if not, will work with the authors and appropriate ADs to
    determine the appropriate group for the work.

6. Publish documents that attempt to better define the overlapping
    area among the public DNS root, DNS-like names as used in local
    or restricted naming scopes, and the 'special names' registry
    that IETF manages, perhaps including how they might interact.
    This work must take into consideration issues that are strictly
    beyond the operation of the DNS itself, and the working group
    will consult with IETF liaisons to other organizations as
    appropriate.