Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:57:58 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : AS112 Nameserver Operations
        Authors         : Joe Abley
                          William F. Maton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis-03.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2014-06-26

Abstract:
   Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses that
   are not globally-unique.  Examples are the addresses designated in
   RFC 1918 for private use within individual sites.

   Devices in such environments may occasionally originate Domain Name
   System (DNS) queries (so-called "reverse lookups") corresponding to
   those private-use addresses.  Since the addresses concerned have only
   local significance, it is good practice for site administrators to
   ensure that such queries are answered locally.  However, it is not
   uncommon for such queries to follow the normal delegation path in the
   public DNS instead of being answered within the site.

   It is not possible for public DNS servers to give useful answers to
   such queries.  In addition, due to the wide deployment of private-use
   addresses and the continuing growth of the Internet, the volume of
   such queries is large and growing.  The AS112 project aims to provide
   a distributed sink for such queries in order to reduce the load on
   the corresponding authoritative servers.  The AS112 project is named
   after the Autonomous System Number (ASN) that was assigned to it.

   RFC6304 described the steps required to install a new AS112 node, and
   offered advice relating to such a node's operation.  This document
   updates that advice to facilitate the addition and removal of zones
   for which query traffic will be sunk at AS112 nodes, using DNAME,
   whilst still supporting direct delegations to AS112 name servers.

   This document obsoletes RFC6304.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/